• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lawrence x67, or marcum lx3????

beaverlakeman

Question

I am finally in the market for a new fishin toy. i am at a draw with these two.. which ever gets the best response is the one i will buy.
So, I want to know what you like and dislike about the 2 of them.. On my own research, i have gathered some info on them..
------------Lawrence x67----------------
1. its digital
2. it makes no noise
3. it has flasher and motion
4. it gets to a 1/2 inch of fish

-------------marcum lx3-----------------
1. only a flasher
2. makes some noise
3. it gets to 2 1/2 inches of fish.

I like them both, and dont know which one i want.. im leaning toward the lawrence, but havent decided yet.

so please let me hear your thoughts.

------------------
Da Beav ----> I.B.O.T #220

Are you a happy clamper??

That's funny, I have had my x67c out the last couple of days and nights, in weather much colder then -4, I guess that rep better tell my x67c that it is damaged because it doesn't seem to know.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

cwmn, its probably degraded. the problem with using a lcd display below its rated temp is it slowly loses contrast and display speed with each dip below its rated temp. the more you freeze it the worse it gets until you finaly notice it. keep in mind the change is slow and you won't notice it at first. there are lcd displays that are rated for cold temps but apparently the lowrance is not. i would recommend not using the lowrance below its rated temp.

[This message has been edited by dec (edited 01-30-2004).]

[This message has been edited by dec (edited 01-30-2004).]

I talk to the guy again today about them, and he also told me that they can go below that temp, but the transition has to be very slowly.. i told him that i do alot of laker fishing in canada and most of the time im in my house at 60-70 degrees. but then there are those times where you gotta get out and troll a bit to find them again, when its -32.. he said if the unit was 60 degrees and then you took it out in -32 right away like that, it would for sure damage the unit.. and he said if your unit gets damaged from the cold weather, it voids its warranty and you just ate the $450 dollars you just spent on it..

thats when i made my mind up on the marcum,,, matter of fact im going to go get it next friday, if they dont sell out.

flash away

Hello again Beavs.I met you at W.W.2 weeks ago when you clamped I was counting between each sip.I have a marcum used it for a year somehow the batt. went bad marcum responded within 10 min. beat that. Good luck
BUCKHEAD I.B.O.T.#65

Hello again Beavs.I met you at W.W.2 weeks ago when you clamped I was counting between each sip.I have a marcum used it for a year somehow the batt. went bad marcum responded within 10 min. beat that. Good luck
BUCKHEAD I.B.O.T.#65

Just bought the marcum today...
It looks so cool..lol
hopefully it works as good as it looks..
got the only one that was left in fargo..Marcum must have been a hot item this year.. Now i just have to get out and try it..
cant wait.

------------------
Da Beav ----> I.B.O.T #220

Are you a happy clamper??

dan wood. is it safe to say a 200hp motor wont spook fish in 15 feet of water at wot? come on? are the fish talking to you and telling you these stories? genetron inc has already documented that fish can hear sonar. you can contact them.

[This message has been edited by whitetip (edited 02-01-2004).]

Whitetip,
It depends on the frequency. You can't compare a 200 H.P. outboard engine to a 200 KHz transducer. The outboard puts out low frequency sound waves that will most definitely be detectable by fish. The LX-3 operates at 200 KHz. This is above the frequency range for both fish and humans. It is not possible for fish or humans to hear this frequency.

I have no experience with Genetron, but if they are running below 100 KHz frequency, the lower frequency could be felt by fish. I'm speaking of the MarCum, that operates at a very high frequency of 200 KHz.

There are some minor low frequency waves mixed in with the 200 KHz high frequency as noted in an earlier post by dec regarding the "rep-rate" factor. This minor component that is at a lower frequency could potentially be heard and/or felt by fish, but the major signal that is at 200 KHz can not be detected.

dec, you didn't notice the sarcasam in my last post.
Anything would get damaged if it went from 70 degrees to -32.
I used a Eagle magna view for years, back in the 90's when we had REAL winters, The lcd never froze, never slowed down, and it still works to this day, mounted on my boat.
beaverlakeman, does your ford dealer tell you to buy Chevys?
Just raed my warrenty and it says nothing about not covering damage due to cold weather.
If you don't like the Lowrance, don't buy it, but it seems to me people are putting it down just to "put it down".
I have used the x67c in -20, in +40 and in between and I personally think it is a great fish finder.
Who paid $450 for one, I have never seen them over $400.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

CWMN,, Im sorry about the confusion, I didnt say it in my post, but the $450 was for the m68c unit.not the x67..
Im not putting it down just to do it..
in my post i thought i had said that i talked to a lowrance rep that told me about the cold weather thing, and the voided warranty if your unit gets damaged from cold weather.. I didnt make that up..
If you want, you can call them, and they will tell you the same thing.

[This message has been edited by beaverlakeman (edited 02-02-2004).]

I sent an email to the Lowrance Support asking them about the coldest operating temp. Here is their reply back.

"Thank you for your inquiry. Our engineering department has tested the unit to work as low as -22 degrees F (-30 C) as long as the unit is operating (self-heating). We do not recommend storing the unit in less then -2 degrees F. Conditions that are colder than described above could cause permanent damage to the LCD. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us."

I was worried there listening to everbody. I had mine out last Sat and it worked just fine.

It says that in the manual, except the manual says not to STORE below -4.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Cripe sakes this is Mn where temps drop to -30. Keeping a sounder above -4 would be a problem for me. I'm on a lot of fishing trips where the unit will be packed away and hauled across lakes for long periods of time. Last thing I want to do is worry if my sounder is warm enough.

I think the point is long term storage, like more than a day. You wouldn't want to store it in a unheated garage or a shed.
If youre worried about packing it in a vehicle for a trip across a lake just turn it on and it will keep it's self warm, the back light keeps the diplay warm, but I doubt a 30 minute trip out onto the lake will cause any great harm.
I used to use a Eagle Magna view back in the 90's when it was really cold and that unit is still working today.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN