• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best way to cook walleye?

fishhound2013

Whats your favorite way to cook walleye? Ive got a bunch vacuum sealed in the freezer that im going to cook and looking for ideas.

The last couple years has been strictly deep fried in panko crumbs, hard to beat the light crunch it adds. Without anything topping it the panko is pretty plain though. I like adding tartar and cajun seasoning.

My wife deep fries them and pan fries them, both ways are great. She adds garlic salt, cayenne...just a touch and salt and pepper. Very good, the seasoning makes a world of difference in taste....

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Whats your favorite way to cook walleye? Ive got a bunch vacuum sealed in the freezer that im going to cook and looking for ideas.

Just how many is a bunch? whistle

Baked with lemon-pepper! wink

Chunk it up in 1" square pieces, wrap it in thin bacon with a water chestnut, put a tooth pick in to hold it together, marinate in in jerk sauce and grill to a crispy perfection. A different way to cook it than the usual deep frying. Not that ther is anything wron with the fried! One can also put it on the grill with a little butter and seasoning for a healthier way to cook it.

Beer batter, shore lunch, lemon broiled. Just mix it up so it doesn't get boring.

That grilling thing sounds like a try it.

We have been substituting walleye (or pike, sunnies, etc) in a crab cake recipe we have... they are pretty outstanding! We pan fry the cakes.

We steam the meat, cool it, and crumble it before adding it to the cakes.

Try this for pan frying in oil or deep frying. Crush up a bunch of saltines and cheddar cheezit crackers, 3/4 saltine to 1/4 cheezits. Mix with Cajun style shore lunch, decide how much depending on how hot you want. Sounds strange but it's how we do it now. Sometimes when you are low on supplies in the ice shack you find a darn good recipe. Also I don't like to crush the crackers into a complete powder, leave some of the crackers a little bit bigger, you get a better crunch IMO.

In a nonstick pan melt 1T butter, sprinkle in almond slices and brown slightly over medium heat, add a couple dashes of lemon pepper and garlic salt and brown slices lightly. Wash fillets thoroughly and pat dry, add fillets to pan and sear in butter 3-5 minutes a side depending on thickness and size. Sprinkle fillets lightly with lemon pepper/garlic salt just after turning cook for 3-5 minutes and add almond slices to the pan. remove fish and almond slices and serve with your favorite condiments or place on the top of a bed of wild/white rice and enjoy. A little lemon/orange zest can be added as a garnish and flavor enhancer grated lightly over the top of the fish and almonds. You may need to add a little butter as the fish cook to get them to cook evenly. Pretty simple, little ingredients and oh so tasty!

Tunrevir~

Mix shore lunch, crushed up club crackers, and parmesan cheese. Dip walleye fillets in milk and coat in the mix. Pan fry in half olive oil and half butter. Tasty.....

Deep frying: Coat with instant potato flakes seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Microwave: Melt butter in dish, roll fillets in the butter and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, or Old Bay seasoning. Cook until they fall apart.

Stove top: Poach the fillets in lemon juice, pepper, fresh garlic, butter, and white wine. Remove the fillets when done and reduce the juices until you have a thicker sauce. Lay the walleyes on a bed of angel hair pasta and top with the sauce. Garlic toast on the side.

Using walleye instead of crab in crab cakes is awesome. I just chop up uncooked fillets and fry the whole cake, works good for me. Second option is to leave skin on and grill skin side down with whatever seasoning u like on top till done enough for your liking. Meat peals away from skin/bones easy and meat is not as soft as baked fish. Super easy and good.

Seems like most people fry them in a pan. One of my favorites I learned for Northern Pike, but walleye, or other fish would work fine too.

Line an oven pan with aluminum foil, and spray it with cooking spray. lay you fillets on the foil. Take bacon, and cut the strips in half, then lay the strips over your fillets. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you want on it, maybe some lemon juice. Chop up onion, and other vegetables you want and put them over the fillets. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until the fillets are starting to get crispy.

Seems like most people fry them in a pan. One of my favorites I learned for Northern Pike, but walleye, or other fish would work fine too.

Line an oven pan with aluminum foil, and spray it with cooking spray. lay you fillets on the foil. Take bacon, and cut the strips in half, then lay the strips over your fillets. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you want on it, maybe some lemon juice. Chop up onion, and other vegetables you want and put them over the fillets. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until the fillets are starting to get crispy.

+1 but don't forget the dill

Chunk it up in 1" square pieces, wrap it in thin bacon with a water chestnut, put a tooth pick in to hold it together, marinate in in jerk sauce and grill to a crispy perfection. A different way to cook it than the usual deep frying. Not that ther is anything wron with the fried! One can also put it on the grill with a little butter and seasoning for a healthier way to cook it.

That sounds pretty good going to have to try it

my go to is chef Roberts. rinse pat extra water off and coat fillets. no need for egg wash. seasoned great and makes a nice crispy coating. if you want to go the extra step flour fillets first, then egg wash and coat. the flour seals in the moisture. Ive even double coated sunnie fillets for that extra crispy crunch sometimes.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

pan fried in butter, then salt and pepper. mmmmm

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a good recipe to use on a trip after several days when everybody is getting tired of the fried fish. As an alternative to frying in some sort of batter or dry mix we sometimes do a campfire bake. You will need to use extra wide heavy duty foil double thick for this dish. Lay out a piece of foil large enough to hold the mix you are going to create Boil some sort of gold or baking potatoes to soften then slice into 1/2 thick piece the spread out a serving on the foil. Place one or two fillets (serving) of walleyes on potatoes. Then add a any fresh raw veggies you want like onions, broccoli, peppers, etc. in liberal amounts. Salt, pepper or season to your personal taste. Splat lots of catsup, mayo, or creamy thick salad dressing. We have also used dry onion soup mix for this step. Fold the foil over securely and place on the coals of an open campfire (can use a grille) Cook till done. Make individual servings and everyone can prepare to taste.

I would recommend pickling them. There was a thread on pickling muskies in the muskie forum but it was taken down because apparently they are not to be legally harvested.

lay filets on a greased glass pan

salt and pepper them

pour 1 egg and milk mixture over

crush a full pack of saltine crackers and pour on top

pour on a very generous amount of parmisian cheese

pour on more cheese as you probably didnt add enough

melt a full stick (1/4 lb ) butter and drizel it on top

back at preheated oven 350 deg for 20 min uncovered

probably as unhealthy as fried fish but way gooder

Deep fried in shore lunch. Left to cool over night...

crumbled with scrambled eggs, fried onions and green peppers, and served on a tortilla shell with shreaded cheese, sour cream, and some freash tomato salsa.

Way better the second day. wink

man I miss eating fish...

Any way that will give it some flavor wink ah just fry up some pike instead grin

+1

Crazy all of the 'flavor' that needs to be added to walleye.

I do like throwing them in with a pickling batch though. Or just boil the chunks quickly till they float, squeeze of lemon, and melted butter. Quick and easy.

lately I have just been keeping in simple and like to brush olive oil on each side and season with salt, pepper and some dill. I then put slices of lemon over top and bake in the oven until done.

quick and easy clean up and no frying smell or grease to deal with.

Great, easy grilling recipe.

Put a layer of foil on the grill. (Very low heat!)

Dip walleye fillets in olive oil, place on foil, grind Weber steak seasoning generously onto fillets. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes then turn fillets over for another 3 or 4 minutes.

Add salt and pepper to taste on them if wanted when you serve.

Very tasty!

Cliff

Dip walleye fillets in olive oil, place on foil, grind Weber steak seasoning generously onto fillets. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes then turn fillets over for another 3 or 4 minutes.

Very tasty!

Cliff

This is out Favorite as well !!

"Best" most people will likely say battered and deep fried. Healthy and delicious is just as good in my book. I go with a little butter rubbed over the filet, with some light seasoned salt and light dill - baked or grilled

This is pretty much all we do now that my son is on a gluton free diet. We like lemon pepper, garlic powder and dill weed. I dont bother flipping them though.

Very tasty!

Cliff