• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

50hp honda shear pin question

slick2526

Question

First outboard I have owned over a 6hp. I banged my prop up pretty good yesterday at a very shallow access. Took it of today and I was expecting to see a shear pin but I didn't. Read the owners manual and nothing mentioned about one. Is this normal for all outboards in the 50hp range not to have a shear pin? so what happens if you hit some hard going faster then a trolling speed does the prop just totally get ruined?

4 answers to this question

Spun hub? confused Google can be a friend. wink Down here in Mo. a prop shop usually totally rebuilds the prop for about half the price of a new one.

Most shear pins went out in the mid 70s,Now they are pressed compression fitted hubs.The hub should release before prop damage happens.You'll still get a dinged prop.If your prop is (spun)meaning the hub released.You may check out Michigan props with NEW hub systems interchangable props and hubs,That are self resetting.Their great advanced props!!!

Merc went to the flo-torq system which has a user replaceable plastic piece intsead of the rubber thing.

All of those systems are designed to protect the motor, not the prop.