• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

polishing a revolver

HandGunner

I recently baught a s&w 460 10 inch hunter, The cylinder and parts of the guns trim that is already polished but the machining marks like small lines and some few scratches are still present plus the cylinder burn. My question is mainly for the cylinder face were the burn marks are is that will a polish compound like mothers magic, can it every so slightly change the size of the cylinder? aacan polishing too much possibly make the cylinder ever so slighty shorter? Does polishing remove material either so very little like millionths of inches or can it remove material drastickly to thousands of inches?

Id like to get the polish trim further polished to remove machining marks and get a good mirror like finish as well the cylinder

I would ask a gunsmith. Many people have decided to clean up a gun and have destoyed the value of it the way they went about ti.

I'd listen to my old pal Harvey here if I was you. Frankly, I am puzzled at WHY you would want to "polish" the piece. Is it blued or nickel plated? Has SOME of it been "polished" already as you seem to indicate? And it there are scratches and "marks" on it now perhaps they are the result of the prior owner "buffing and polishing".

Please do yourself a favor and go to a gunsmith or at least to a gun shop and tell somebody what you are thinking of doing.

You're welcome.

the gun is a s&w x frame 460 10 inch barrel its all stainless steel, it was baught brand new had one scratch on the cylinder. other polished areas of the gun are from the manufacture alone but machining lines in the metal are still present, seems like they can only polish it so much, my main goal is to remove the cylinder scratch and cylinder burn while giving it all a even close to mirror finish on the cylinder. Theres a mixure of satin stainless and polished stainless through out the gun. its mainly the frame cylinder and a trim on the barrel that is polished but not a real shiny polish, the rest is mostly satin stainless.

Yes brand new gun, when you machine metal there will be machining marks it the equivelent to the grain of wood except metal can be polished out to shine like a mirror. The scratch on the cylinder must have been from manufacture or during shipment or display. All i want to do is remove machined metal marks and shine up areas of the gun for a 2 toned look as well as remove cylinder burn i just wanted to kno if polishing away cylinder burn can it at all ever change the cylinder gap size ever so slightly...

Yes, they could be removed. How much will you remove and will it effect the performance, who knows.

I have cleaned up metal with polishing stones and it does work well. very teadious work.

Polishing with a product such as Mothers or Flitz and a cloth will not remove enough metal to affect performance or remove the machine marks. If you start polishing with a machine or emery cloth and polishing grit with enough bite to get a mirror finish and remove all the tool marks you will remove several 1/1000's of an inch of metal. You will then have a bigger gap between the rear of the barrel and the front of the cylinder and it will probably not be an even gap from chamber to chamber. This will lead to more powder residue on the cylinder and lower more inconsistent velocity on the bullet. Accuracy could suffer. You will also see a lot more flame cutting of the top strap of the revolver. Polishing the front of the cylinder can be done but you need a lathe and some parts to swap out to get a proper cylinder gap. May need to get a new cylinder and have it fitted to your gun after polishing. This is a job best left to the Smith and Wesson custom shop or one their service centers.

i done some research a guy on youtube does it with mothers mag and it quickly removes cylinder burn he also says stainless will not be a mirror finish but close just not as good as chrome plated metals and such. I guess i can try hard scrubbing on the rougher side of a dish sponge for cylinder burn, it does give character to a revolver though besides being so squiky clean. I guess i can just touch up the polished areas and cylinder but will leave the cylinder face to hard scrubbing with a rough dish sponge.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.
    • monstermoose78
      Guys slim creek on burntside is the place to load up on smelt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.