• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mr. Heater/Cooker

Kodiak

Question

I have a mr. heater/cooker and the first time out with it, after about 5 minutes the thing turned into a flame thrower and started shooting out flames so i threw it out of my portable!!! My brother bought one and it acts up also, so i went to take it back to gander mtn. and it sounds like alot of people are bringing these back! Also they didnt have anymore in stock, to trade it with. I am going to go back this week and get another one but i am kinda leary about them now from personal experience and stories i have heard. If you have any similar experiences with them please share.

14 answers to this question

I've used the same one for about twelve years and never had a problem. I use it in my Clam ice hose and also in my goose hunting pit. It works great, and I wouldn't use anything else. Safety first though, if you don't feel safe don't use it.

I bought one last year at GM in Duluth, had not used it a whole lot. But its works fine when I have used it.

O

About that heater, it could be the way it is
getting air there should be a couple of holes
in the pipe that mounts it to the valve.
sometimes not all the time it will move around and not get air right. It can also frost up. My focus 5 will do that some times
after Imove my house then Ihave to mess with it till I get it back in line. The air flow is some what serious on them. Could be the problem if not take it back for sure. shocked.gif

------------------
catch them all big fat an small

yeah, i checked the air ports and they where good, and i had the zippers in the shack open enough for ventilation, i also have a mr.heater side by side, it is old and my dad gave it too me but it is a bit much for the portable, it works great and he had it forever before giving it too me. when the heater worked, it was great.

Make sure the people who are filling your tanks are doing it properly, I've heard storys of tanks being over filled and doing the same thing, you could actually see liquid propane comming out the front of the Mr.heater! No good!

I have a mister heater and have always used one with no problems. My brother however at the beginning of last season lit his in the garage and flames shot up 7 feet, it was older so he blamed it on that, bought a new one and has had no problems!! He was just glad it didn't happen in his portable, might of been problems.

------------------
I like Tail

It sounds to me like your tank was overfilled. I had the same problem two weeks ago up at Winnie.

I got a heater/cooker for Christmas and it works great. Previously I had the Mr Heater Sunflower and I never had problems with that one until the thermocouple lead broke.

You can also hook the Mr. Heater/Cooker up to a bigger tank. You have to buy a hose to connect the 2. I use it with it hooked up to a 20 lb. tank. I have also used mine with the disposable 1 lber's and have not had any trouble.

I have had two Mr. Heaters for years and have not had any problems with them. I mount them of the 11 pound pumpkin tank and keep the tank in a milk crate. I have had a small problem with one of the heaters latey. When I start it, I have a constant flame about 5-6 inches high. At first I figured the tank was over filled, now I am starting to wonder if I need to adjust the thermo-couple. Do anyone have any advise on adjusting the posistion of the thermo-couple?

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I would guess that if you were using a bulk tank that it was overfilled.
How can that happen with the new valves....through expansion and contraction. Never put a bulk tank in your house or in the sun. If you would have let the heater burn outside for a while it would have settled down.
If your using a 1 lber keep the tank upright. When temps are cold the LP doesn't turn to a vapor as efficiently and you could get liquid coming out instead of a vapor.

Both these scenarios will cause flames to shoot out of your Mr Heater.

I was about to post a new question in regards to this. I have a newer Mr. Heater/Cooker, it has worked fine all year, and recently it started burning with a flame about 10-inches high. Neither of my tanks (20 and 5 lbs.) are full. So I'm wondering if I need to make adjustments to it?? Where would this adjustment be made?

Thanks,
Cashcrews

I had a similar incident happen this weekend. I just picked up a new Mr. Heater/cooker a couple of weeks ago. I had it hooked to a 20lb tank that was about half full. When I lit it up it ran fine for the first few minutes. After that I noticed that the valve/regulator and the brass fittings were starting to frost up. A couple of minutes after that I got flames shooting about 15 inches out from the heater. I shut it down and took a look at it. I found that the oriface had actually frosted up and there was getting to be frost/water over the opening. I took and cleaned the frost off, dried it up, lit it again, and it worked fine after that. Keep in mind that when I lit it originally I had the heater laying down in the "cooker" position. After I dried it up I tipped it into the upright position so that the rising heat would help keep the frost down on the fittings. Just something to keep in mind when using them.