• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ponder

harvey lee

Preseason football is the BIGGEST JOKE in all of professional sports.

I'm thinking Kevin Williams would agree.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• Scott K

• LMITOUT

grin

Preseason is for determining if on the bubble players will make it or not, or to try a new scheme or something, not to judge regular season performance.

Preseason football is the BIGGEST JOKE in all of professional sports.

Ponder's performance since he has been in a Queens uniform should place him on the bubble. The Queens will not go far at all if anywhere with Ponder at the helm.

Only 2 reasons I see him still the starting QB is the fact that Leslie loves him asnd they have really noone any better.

Sadly Ponder will be the QB for this whole season maybe, then we can go through all of this next season again. Ongoing issue with Ponder. Ponder simply does not have the total skills be to anything but average at best.

Ponder is a on the bubble player but protected by our coach.

If pre season is such a joke, then how does a team get players to gel together? How do you get your QB and recievers to get thier timing down, wait till the 1st game?

As a fan, what is more important to you?  Wins or a high QB rating?    If the MN fans would like a SB or two to shove back in GB’s face, they sure aren’t going to do it by having someone new take the snaps every couple of years.   Remember all the guys that kept bellyaching to put Webb in?  Yeah hows that going for you?    Face it, what everyone is looking for here is a HOF QB and they only come around a few times in your life.  Ponder is exactly what Lmit said.  The best of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best.    However, he probably IS good enough to take them to the playoffs again, and once there anything can happen.

The teams can play all the pre-season games they want,  no problem with that, but actually watching them or predicting the team’s or individual players success from those games is ridiculous. Without the best players in the game playing and a meaningful outcome you might as well be watching tennis.  I don’t understand how anyone can even watch a single play of that garbage.  They shouldn’t even televise them or keep score.  All it is, is practice, but I guess the Rubes gotta have something to argue about for 4 weeks and need stats to polish up on their mock fantasy strategies before the big draft day.

During Sunday night's telecast, the network showed that Adrian Peterson's 6.0 yards/attempt average in 2012 was just shy of Ponder's 6.1 yards/attempt. It is the closest margin between any QB and RB in NFL history.

Now as far as Ponder goes, one should admit that the Vikings have had one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL for the past few years. The best receiver was a trick pony in Harvin. Now that Minnesota has a bonafide WR in Jennings, Burton has emerged, and Rudolph....we will truly see Ponder's colors. He's looked bad for two seasons with a terrible WR options. If he looks bad with a much improved WR corps, then it's a slam dunk decision to send him along. In fact, I think that you'll see Cassell play at some point during the Vikings 8-game schedule/nightmare from mid-October through early December.

I merely pointed out he was on the list. Not cherry picking.

Pointing him out on a list full of duds, which you did, is cherry picking.

But please continue supporting Ponder. You didn't have much credibility to damage anyway. grin

Pointing him out on a list full of duds, which you did, is cherry picking.

But please continue supporting Ponder. You didn't have much credibility to damage anyway. grin

You said you would take Ryan. I said he was on the list. So, your argument of Ponder being on this list of these terrible quarterbacks with some metric that is calculated by someone who has far too much time on their hands proves he is a terrible QB? When reviewing the list of names (which you obviously didnt), there are some names on there that are clearly not duds, but you can twist and turn it however you want. Proof is that you tried to slam him, when he is actually in some decent company.

Favre, Ryan, Bradford, Freeman. The point I am trying to make is your little "stat" is just a little above meaningless. Go find some more useless material. At least provide ALL of the information next time, not only the data that meets your agenda.

As a fan, what is more important to you?  Wins or a high QB rating?   

This isn't college football. Most of the time in the NFL you have to have the second one in order to get the first one.

You don't need any advanced metrics to understand that Ponder is not a franchise QB; you just need to watch him play.

Most of the time in the NFL you have to have the second one in order to get the first one.

Well if you expect better than 10-6, then you better stick to The Tide

You don't need any advanced metrics to understand that Ponder is not a franchise QB; you just need to watch him play.

Please define "franchise QB". Is he Brady, Rodgers, Manning? Hell no. If you define it solely off "elite" status, not a chance. If you define it as something where they start the majority of the games, is consistent and doesnt require you to go look for a replacement or wonder what you are going to do with that position, I think it is possible he could fit that. This will be the tipping point on whether this experiment worked out or not, this season. If he doesnt produce, then HE GONE.

Please define "franchise QB". Is he Brady, Rodgers, Manning? Hell no. If you define it solely off "elite" status, not a chance. If you define it as something where they start the majority of the games, is consistent and doesnt require you to go look for a replacement or wonder what you are going to do with that position, I think it is possible he could fit that. This will be the tipping point on whether this experiment worked out or not, this season. If he doesnt produce, then HE GONE.

Well if you expect better than 10-6, then you better stick to The Tide

Who's predicting 10-6? Be lucky to go 8-8. AP is not likely to have another year like last year, thats the only way they come anywhere near 10-6. Ponder's not going to get them there.

You just can't make it up grin the guy was taking snaps for a 10-6 season yet he still needs to prove himself. Facts are not facts i guess. opinion is all that counts

You just can't make it up grin the guy was taking snaps for a 10-6 season yet he still needs to prove himself. Facts are not facts i guess. opinion is all that counts
But Dtro, he was also taking snaps in a 3-13 season. :-)

I know, haters will be haters. I think he has a chance to be more than serviceable for the Vikings. With him at the helm the Vikings have a better than 50/50 shot of being 10-6 this season considering the other pieces we have added on offense and including those we have returning.

Not predicting SuperBowl, but I have a feeling they will be playing meaningful games in December. LOL

I dont foresee a record better then 8-8 this year, I will say anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7, more then likely 8-8.

How much did Ponder have to do with the 10-6? You do realize that Adrian Peterson came within 9 yards of breaking the all-time rushing record don't you?

How much did Ponder have to do with the 10-6? You do realize that Adrian Peterson came within 9 yards of breaking the all-time rushing record don't you?

and look what happened when Webb got the snaps...

Pretty sure some HOF QB's had a 3 win season out of the gate...or maybe even worse.

Sure are a lot of grass is always greener folks here.

So if the team starts 5-3 and his QB rating is 50 then what do you do?

I mentioned Ryan because I was watching the game. I didn't even realize he was on the list until I went back and looked.

I did look at the list and each of those guys I referenced are on it. The rest I would agree are a bunch of retreads with the possible exception of wheeden.

But if you are putting so much stock in some stat you better own up to who is on the list. You provided lil blurbs of info making it seem as if ponder was on a list just full of guys like "him" when in fact there are some big name guys on there and some future hall of famers, well for sure one anyway. So that should put it in perspective. But in the end you won't get it because it doesn't feed into your agenda. So troll on...

Quote:
Making comparisons with athletes past is a popular activity with both the sports media and fans. Following Sunday night's exhibition loss in San Francisco, the topic in Minnesota remained Christian Ponder and what he will bring as the Vikings quarterback in his third season.

There was an e-mail after the game from a long-time Vikings follower that said: "Ponder reminds me of Rich Gannon when he first played for the Vikings ... a good athlete who didn't have the strongest arm and was erratic with his throws.''

When I arrived at Hubbard headquarters early Monday afternnon and entered the hub of activity that is "prep room'' for 1500ESPN, Phil Mackey said: "I've come up with a comparsion for Ponder?''

"Rich Gannon?'' I said.

"Joey Harrington,'' Mackey replied.

I'm guessing that Vikings fans would prefer the e-mailed suggestion of Gannon over Harrington, the No. 3 overall pick in 2002, and the worst of all the selections made by Matt Millen in his horrendous run as the football boss of the Detroit Lions.

Trouble is, the Gannon comparsion is hard to make with Ponder, who enters his third season with 26 NFL starts and with a continued commitment from General Manager Rick Spielman that he is the Vikings' answer at quarterback.

Spielman is almost required to feel that way, since he used the No. 12 overall selection on Ponder in 2011.

The accusation at the time was Spielman had reached substantially to take a quarterback with an erratic history at Florida State. It looks even more like a reach today, when considering that the next two quarterbacks taken in that draft were Andy Dalton by Cincinnati and Colin Kaepernick by San Francisco with the third and fourth choices in the second round. (OUCH!)

Gannon was a fourth-rounder taken by New England in 1987. The Patriots wanted to convert the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder from Delaware to running back. Gannon wanted a shot at quarterback, Vikings CEO Mike Lynn had been talking him up (privately) before the draft, and Minnesota traded for him.

Gannon had to wait until 1990, his fourth season, to get a chance to play regularly. If Ponder doesn't pick it up in 2013, he might not make it to a fourth season in Minnesota.

Gannon wound up crossways with coach Dennis Green, was traded by the Vikings to Washington in August 1993, overcame shoulder surgery and wound up as the NFL's MVP for Oakland in 2002 at age 37.

Maybe that will be Ponder a dozen years from now. Right now, the Mackeyiism seems more realistic: Ponder = Harrington.

Harrington started 12 games as a rookie in 2002 and all 16 in 2003. Ponder started 10 in 2011 and the 16 regular-season games in 2012.

Ponder's ratio of 31 touchdown passes to 25 interceptions has been subpar. His quarterback ratings of 70.1 and 81.2 and his passing average of 177 yards per game also have been supbar by today's standards.

Then again, Harrington threw 29 touchdowns and 38 interceptions in his first two seasons, he had quarterback ratings of 59.9 and 63.9, and his passing average was 171 yards.

I don't see Ponder as a guy who spends 18 seasons in the NFL, throws for 4,689 yards as a 37-year-old and becomes the MVP. And, I don't think we can accuse him of being the second coming of Joey Harrington, either.

If you just go by the eyeball test, my comparison for Ponder is Tarvaris Jackson, but I don't have the numbers to prove it. Jackson started only 14 games his first two seasons. He then started two games to open the 2008, then was benched in favor of veteran Gus Frerotte.

Now, if we see Ponder on the sideline and veteran Matt Cassel starting the home opener vs. Cleveland on Sept. 22, then I win the comparison contest.

--PATRICK JAMES REUSSE

Are Ryan, Bradford, stafford, and favre garbage qbs? Since they comprise over 10 percent of the occurrences (some multiple times) on the referenced list and by most accounts many would consider these guys franchise qbs I think that in of itself makes the stat suspect.

How about flipping that scenario on its ear? Flynn set team single game records for tds, yards etc and had a tremendous qbr, I believe it was a perfect score.

Where is he now? Oh that's right he's third string on the Oakland raiders for crying out loud and he isn't even on the "list of garbage qbs". Its laughable.

and look what happened when Webb got the snaps...

That's because he is the only QB in the league worse than Ponder.

Pretty sure some HOF QB's had a 3 win season out of the gate...or maybe even worse.

You're predicting Hall Of Fame status for Ponder? LOL!

Sure are a lot of grass is always greener folks here.

So if the team starts 5-3 and his QB rating is 50 then what do you do?

Get rid of him if there was an opportunity to upgrade. A QB with a 50 rating would be a liability and although there may be a chance to get lucky during the regular season and pull out a few wins with a solid defense and a great running game, you will NEVER get away with that in the play-offs.

Are Ryan, Bradford, stafford, and favre garbage qbs? Since they comprise over 10 percent of the occurrences (some multiple times) on the referenced list and by most accounts many would consider these guys franchise qbs I think that in of itself makes the stat suspect.

How about flipping that scenario on its ear? Flynn set team single game records for tds, yards etc and had a tremendous qbr, I believe it was a perfect score.

Where is he now? Oh that's right he's third string on the Oakland raiders for crying out loud and he isn't even on the "list of garbage qbs". Its laughable.

At this point I'm seriously doubting you have seen Ponder play a down in the NFL.

Credibility = dead.

Should have known that would come from reusse. What a complete and utter blowhard that waste of space is. I would value someone's opinion if they actually played the game. Only thing I would value his opinion on is donuts.

....and then play the QB duck duck goose game for another decade.

and I NEVER compared him to a HOFer, but is obvious you cannot pass judgement on the first couple years of a career like most are doing here.

I don't see Ponder as a guy who spends 18 seasons in the NFL, throws for 4,689 yards as a 37-year-old and becomes the MVP. And, I don't think we can accuse him of being the second coming of Joey Harrington, either.

is what I'm trying to say

Should have known that would come from reusse. What a complete and utter blowhard that waste of space is. I would value someone's opinion if they actually played the game. Only thing I would value his opinion on is donuts.

Yep. Paul Allen is MUCH better.

....and then play the QB duck duck goose game for another decade.

and I NEVER compared him to a HOFer, but is obvious you cannot pass judgement on the first couple years of a career like most are doing here.

is what I'm trying to say

I agree.

I would be all in for giving Ponder the benefit of the doubt, but his mechanics suck, his dancing feet, with no pocket awareness, when you have to wind up, and run forward, and put the ball 100 feet high, to get the ball 30 yards, then you dont hold on to the QB for very long. If the player had the basics of a good QB, and showed promise, give him a chance. By game 3, Cassel will be in. There is no way they keep him in for the home game, he will be boo'd off the field.