• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ponder

harvey lee

Randy Moss even made aging Randall Cunningham and Brad Johnson look good.

But in culpeppers best season in 2004 (4700 yards, 39 TDs 110 QBR). Moss played in only 13 games and had 49 receptions. Not 100% for a lot of games that he did play in

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• Scott K

• LMITOUT

He (Ponder) still looks as timid as he did last year. When that experiment dies so will Frazier's run with the Vikes. Cripes, McCoy looked the part better than Ponder.

It wasnt what I was hoping for either, but the 49ers couldnt get anything going until what, the 3rd drive? What was their QB 1/7 to start? And they went to the Super Bowl, so Id say their starters didnt look so hot either at first. And, the offensive line looked terrible. I'll reserve judgement until the regular season.

but it seemed on the very first pass attempt of the game is was back in the pocket doing the RiverDance with his feet. Captain Happyfeet looks like he is a high school QB. Its bad.
I didnt see that on the first pass attempt. To me, it was the most decisive he has looked since last year when he was consistent.

The pass was slightly overthrown, which I think in a REAL game Jennings would probably lay out for that one, but I liked the call.

After that however I tend to agree with the assessment.

The O-line is pathetic. Not to take anything away from the niners, but if that is what we can expect for play after a "week of game-planning" then we are in for a long season.

I saw countless times where players are running into each other on both sides of the ball. Almost like they have no idea where they are supposed to be going. One play Smith and Greenway collided. Smith was stepping up while Greenway was dropping back. [PoorWordUsage] is that about?

Burton cost Ponder that INT. The fumble was 25% O Line, 75% Ponder. Decent completion percentage, but what 5 yards per? Pathetic.

They need to open this playbook up a bit.

I would like to hear Jennings (off the record) comment about the playbook comparisons between GB and the Vikings. FAR TOO CONSERVATIVE IMO. And I dont think that has anything to do with who is at QB.

Not on topic, but what's the deal with Jarrod Allen? They interviewed him last night and he talked about going free agent after this season, and that the Vikes had made no movement to reaquire him? Why? crazy

I think its a little bit of chess match by both parties. The Vikes knew if they approached him about restructuring he wouldnt do it, but rather than sign him now to an extended deal probably wait it out partway through the season to see if he still has much gas left in the tank.

I personally think his best years are behind him, but would like to see him stay, but at a dramatically reduced rate. I dont think he will do that however.

Ponder looked bad again. Although the Vikings announced before the game that he wouldn't be running the ball. So for the first series, the Vikings TOLD the defense that those would be pass plays. Any wonder that they blitzed Ponder?

Even so you've got to complete passes, and Ponder just doesn't do that very well.

LIke the one announcer stated, The Vikes big issue on offense is, they do not have a QB-Ponder-that can throw a ball over the top.

In regards to Allen maybe not signing with the Queens, maybe he would like a SB ring before his football days are over. Won't get one anytime soon with the Queens and Ponder at the Helm.

I am suprised AP has not bailed yet, that is more than likely soon to come as I am sure many teams would love to have him on thier offense.

It wasn't encouraging, that's for sure.

Not on topic, but what's the deal with Jarrod Allen? They interviewed him last night and he talked about going free agent after this season, and that the Vikes had made no movement to reaquire him? Why? crazy

See Antoine Winfield....

Quote:
It doesn’t take a lot of digging to figure out Christian Ponder’s main issue as a quarterback: an inability to consistently connect on deep passes.

At Florida State, Ponder could neatly be divided into two different prospects. There’s the junior who was averaging 8.2 yards per attempt before he separated his throwing shoulder on a vicious hit by Clemson’s DeAndre McDaniel, and there’s the senior who averaged 6.8 yards per attempt and struggled through constant nagging injuries.

Ponder’s NFL play has resembled the senior season vintage. We marked the Vikings with 22 completions and five pass interference penalties on Ponder’s 77 passes that traveled 15 or more yards past the line of scrimmage (“deep” passes, from here on). That’s good for a DVOA of 10.7%, which sounds nice until you realize that the average DVOA on deep passes fluctuates somewhere between 45% and 65% on a seasonal basis. We have pass distance data for the past eight years. In that time Ponder was one of just 41 quarterbacks to post a DVOA below 20% on deep passes in more than 50 attempts.

In simpler terms, Football Outsiders concludes that Ponder is 35%-55% worse than the average NFL QB at completing passes 15+ yards down the field.

In then interest of full disclosure I found the following site which gets into a lot of details of the saber metric type data.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/deep-pass-troubles

Considering some of the names on that list there is really nothing to be overly ashamed about for ponder as I see it. At least one future hall of famer and several qbs which have been argued here many times as "franchise" guys.

Basing judgment on ANY pre-season game is completely pointless. Add into the fact that the league MVP is absent and all this is utter hogwash.

It's almost like looking at a list of the Viking's QBs from the last 8 years.

Ponder, Cassel, Favre, T-Jack, Frerotte.

I'm not so sure pointing to that list is helping your cause.

LMAO! hehe.gif

Basing judgment on ANY pre-season game is completely pointless. Add into the fact that the league MVP is absent and all this is utter hogwash.

\

If Ponder cannot throw with any accuracy during the pre season, then it will not be any better during the regular season.

Ponder is no better with AP in.

Look at his college stats and then his Queen season stats and pre season, all very close.

That's not hogwash at all.

Pre season has been a great tool for teams to see who will make the team and who will not simply from thier pre season performance, been doing this for years.

It's almost like looking at a list of the Viking's QBs from the last 8 years.

Ponder, Cassel, Favre, T-Jack, Frerotte.

I'm not so sure pointing to that list is helping your cause.

LMAO! hehe.gif

I don't have a cause or an agenda. Just trying to provide full disclosure rather than cherry-picking a few comments which may feed your agenda. ;-)

No cherry picking. Just showing the stats that back up what everyone already knows...most everyone, apparently.

Cut Ponder.

He is garbage.

The Vikings have had a whole slew of garbage QBs in the last 2 decades.

What a joke.

So you are saying that all those names on the list are incapable of being a successful NFL quarterback? Ponder actually had higher numbers than all but one of those 50 listed there.

BTW I am watching the replay of the falcons titans game. In the 20 or so minutes I've watched it matt Ryan threw 6 passes over 16 yards (distance used for dvoa) completing only one. What should we deduce from this?

grin

Preseason is for determining if on the bubble players will make it or not, or to try a new scheme or something, not to judge regular season performance.

Preseason football is the BIGGEST JOKE in all of professional sports.

Yeah but who's basing judgement on JUST pre-season games? We also have the last 2 regular seasons to judge him on.

What should we deduce from this?

That it's preseason, which those stats don't care anything about.

But if you want Ponder then I'll take Ryan any day of the week and especially twice on Sundays.

Yeah but who's basing judgement on JUST pre-season games?

If you are going to cherry pick a couple of games, I can do that too. wink

The only thing more comical than preseason NFL is a mock fantasy draft. cool

McCoy

Clausen

Quinn

Leinhart

Sanchez

etc....

---------

Next year Ponder gets to join this happy list...he fits right in there with all these highly drafted QB's battling for back-up spots on other teams.

He'll fit in nicely with that group....

That it's preseason, which those stats don't care anything about.

But if you want Ponder then I'll take Ryan any day of the week and especially twice on Sundays.

well that's quite interesting since Ryan is on that very list I provided whose same stat you were touting was lower than ponder. Hmmm

For the record YOU said you would take Ryan. I merely pointed out he was on the list. Not cherry picking. Showing facts which you appear to struggle with.

I am all for giving the dude a chance this season, but it wont be a very big chance. He hasnt showed anything special to me, that says he should be a starter in the NFL. The guy thows hailmary looking passes 25 yards down field. He has no zip. He has no pocket awareness, he dances around like he wants to join Dancing with the stars. You normally keep your young QB, t os he can, or cant do it, Ponder hasnt showed that he can do it yet. I dont see a change this season.

Ponder is not the solution. That is clear to everyone with any sort of objectivity. No arm strength. Poor decision making. Lack of pocket awareness. Can't make proper checks at the line. Cassel is also not a long-term solution.

That means that the rest of the best years of the best RB in recent history will be wasted. Huzzah.