• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall trolling deal help

firefish_12

Hey gang wondering if anyone would help shed some light on this fall trolling deal

Which is better sept or October full moon??

Certain side if the lake or reefs better than others??

Past years didn't this site have a get together deal that helped rookies like me--are they doing it again this year??

Any input would be great

Thanks

Aaron

I'm not sure about the GTG this year....I hope it happens. smile

The best water temps for my fishing last year were around 50 degrees, maybe a bit less. Last year, that corresponded to most of the month for October, when the fishing was best for me.

In terms of the best reefs, in my experience it really depends where the wind is blowing. I'll take Garrison Reef (or anything else on the west side) if the wind is out of the east; if the wind's out of the west, head east. That being said, my three best nights last year were on dark, flat-calm nights, so go figure.

Your best bet is to get a box of crankbaits, fire up the motor, and experiment until you find them. Ideally, get a few other guys in the boat so you can cover variables more efficiently. And if you catch one and then don't catch another for 100 yards or so, turn around. smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Brad Hawthorne is putting the HSO Full Moon GTG on. smile PM him for more details.

Full moon is way overrated. To many people in shallow rock. Spooks the fish. You end up on secondary structure and it is a bad deal. My best nights have always been overcast or rainy nights in the fall, even before the brigade started to hit the full moons about 5-7 yrs. ago. every weekend warrior is up for the full moon and VERY few do well. Do yourself a favor and go on another weekend in oct. Many other weekends you will have prime structure all to yourself!

For what it's worth, my three best nights last year were either on nights with no moon or with very heavy fog. And you're right...I was the only one out there. smile

• 2 weeks later...

Any moon condition can produce a lot of fish. The full moon does make it a bit easier to see where you are. October was always my best time for fall trolling

A few more questions. Do you fish shore lines or reefs? If reefs on top or edges? Any depth of water better? Is it better at a certain time of night, like 8 pm versus 2 am? Alot of lake out there, just would like to increase my chance of sucess and keep coming back. PM if you want but thanks for any and all Information

12-4 ft can produce. Reefs or shoreline structure can be good. Just play the wind. Weeds can be very good as well, both outside and inside weedlines.....

A few more questions. Do you fish shore lines or reefs? If reefs on top or edges? Any depth of water better? Is it better at a certain time of night, like 8 pm versus 2 am? Alot of lake out there, just would like to increase my chance of sucess and keep coming back. PM if you want but thanks for any and all Information

The answer to these questions is either "It depends," "Yes," or "No." As far as I can tell, the single best thing you can do is to fish the windy side of the lake. Bring a few folks with so you can try different lures and keep moving around until you locate fish.

We try to get out before sunset and have a look around. We start trolling in the 12'-14' range and work our way shallow from there. Like the rest of the replies suggest the fish will tell you when you are doing it wrong. When everything goes right you can catch fish just about anywhere,but most times it is still fishing and you have to pay attention to all the details.

workin,