• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

smurfy
1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

careful of what you ask for!!!   sorry Glenn I had too!!  I was told to say it!!

Hey don't you gotta go to bed!!🤣

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smurfy

• gunner55

• PRO-V

• snowfighter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well fellas.......my last official day of employment today.........from here on out i'll be retired and plan on spending way more time up that direction!!!!!!!!   LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!🤣🤭

Was up at my shack NE of Effie today. Very little to no snow in the woods. Went to Little American Falls and the Bigfork River is really high. My buddy hauling sap in your neighborhood today Smurf.

Took the four wheeler back a few miles to a little lake for some panfish. Found 6.5 inches of ice. Caught quite a few crappie, kept 5 all 10-11 inches. Caught two gills over 8 inches with the biggest

Posted Images

gunner55
On 5/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, PRO-V said:

Smurf, if you're here for a month might have to meet for a cocktail.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:07 PM, Mike89 said:

careful of what you ask for!!!   sorry Glenn I had too!!  I was told to say it!!

FYI PRO-V, they usually keep a close eye on him up there so hanging out with him could be trouble.😀

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 2
smurfy
1 hour ago, gunner55 said:

FYI PRO-V, they usually keep a close eye on him up there so hanging out with him could be trouble.😀

HEY. 🥴🤧🤪 I'll have you know.......

PRO-V

As a matter of fact I'm at Sand Lake right now. Actually caught some walleyes. Most were too big. 18"-20". Got the first dogfish of my life also.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1
gunner55
Posted (edited)

Seems like there's quite a few of those 18-20" in here right now. Had a neighbor get 6 keepers the other night though. First Bowfin, really, should try a 4-6 #'er on a UL. They'll tell you if you tie good knots & if your drag is working though. The stop sign that's by the little bridge, we're just north of that a bit.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
smurfy
12 hours ago, PRO-V said:

As a matter of fact I'm at Sand Lake right now. Actually caught some walleyes. Most were too big. 18"-20". Got the first dogfish of my life also.

and you keep them dogfish in sand too!!!!!!!!!!😂 maybe shoulda kept some of them other roughfish and get rid of them!!!!!!🤣😜

• Yayyyy 1
smurfy

i'm off this coming week, and looking at my calender…….I have nothing going on, soooo...….I be thinking by wed I may head north!!!!!!!!👍

gunner55
Posted (edited)

Hmmm!🤔 Some dogfish in Peterson, I don't think the DNR will mind.😉🙂

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1
smurfy
2 hours ago, gunner55 said:

Hmmm!🤔 Some dogfish in Peterson, I don't think the DNR will mind.😉🙂

😡💩👎 listen here bubba!!!!!!!!!1🤣

• Yayyyy 1
PRO-V
Posted (edited)

My stepdaughter and her husband figured they would try Peterson since they were close. I guess she got this 19 1/2" this afternoon. 

IMG_20200525_175848_01.jpg

Edited by PRO-V
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2
  • l Love It 1
smurfy
54 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

My stepdaughter and her husband figured they would try Peterson since they were close. I guess she got this 19 1/2" this afternoon. 

IMG_20200525_175848_01.jpg

🤣 funny guy. That tree line kinda looks like just south of the access but dead giveaway were the rushes!!

Looks alot like sand to me.

PRO-V
52 minutes ago, smurfy said:

🤣 funny guy. That tree line kinda looks like just south of the access but dead giveaway were the rushes!!

Looks alot like sand to me.

You know what? I double checked with them and it was Sand. Sorry for any confusion.😜🤣

• Yayyyy 2
PRO-V

I was just testing your knowledge of geography and you got a perfect score. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
gunner55

🤔  Not too many spots with that many rushes here so I've got a good idea where that is.  

smurfy

well...........i'll be up for round #2 wed morning!!!!!!!! look out fish. last time was mainly work. did get a bit of fishing in but i was limited.

smurfy

well made it back...……..weather was good, hot Thursday but she really cooled down after that. hit sand, little sand and bowstring, no walleyes, 🙄 but I suck at walleye fishing anyway. got plenty of pickling pike material. sure could tell the difference in those pike from sand to bowstring, bowstring pike  seem to have more meat across the back then sand??????

then we hit the jackpot on sunfish Friday!!!!!! on LAKE Z!!!!!!!! 😛 sat we hit a lake up north of talmoon..caught and released all pike, only 1 over 26.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
smurfy

Just got back from another 5 days. Fishing was ok. Little more warm as and humid then I like but survived. Skeeters weren't real bad but the deerflies are getting to be real annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
smurfy

well.....round #3 is just around  the corner. tomorrow morning to be exact!!!!!!!👍 for another 4-5 days of fishing, loafing, beer and maybe a campfire or 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProV............. i'll be in rapids the 6th and 7th of August doing negotiations with ASV if your interested in getting together for a beer!!!!!!👍 we can talk bad things about this gunner and Mikey guy!!!!!!!!😂🤣🤭 

• Confused 1
  • Yayyyy 1
Mike89

have at it my friend!!!  LOL!!!

• Yayyyy 1
smurfy
2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

have at it my friend!!!  LOL!!!

I was wondering how long it take to get a response.🤣

PRO-V
On 7/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, smurfy said:

I was wondering how long it take to get a response.🤣

Hey Smurf, just saw this. I'll try to remember those dates. 🍺

• Thumbs Up 1
smurfy
18 hours ago, PRO-V said:

Things have really changed since I posted that. 🥴 but I managed to arrange my schedule to still make that trip work the 6th.🤫😂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
smurfy
On 7/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, PRO-V said:

we still gotta date, maybe!!!!!!!!! i should be done by about 7 pm???????? heck i'd even go to the pickled loon fer a beer or 2!!!!!!!!!

PRO-V

How about the Eagles club. Pickled Loon got slapped twice for Covid violations and a relative working there caught it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Rick

How's the fishin?

smurfy
On 8/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, PRO-V said:

How about the Eagles club. Pickled Loon got slapped twice for Covid violations and a relative working there caught it.

man, missed this!!!!!!!!!🥴 thursday nite was a blur in rapids, then i got company at the cabin......sorry........maybe next time.

smurfy
On 8/8/2020 at 10:25 AM, Rick said:

How's the fishin?

i was up for work mainly. but did get a line wet a few times. friday sunfish and all catch and release. sat i went out for a bit to chase pike and only got 1 about 12 inches long. we had 3 inches of rain friday nite and a heck of a thunder and lightning show, so i'd think that put a damper on fish cooperating.

• I Like it 1
PRO-V
5 hours ago, smurfy said:

man, missed this!!!!!!!!!🥴 thursday nite was a blur in rapids, then i got company at the cabin......sorry........maybe next time.

That's alright Smurf. I got caught up at home and missed it to. Next time 🥃🍺

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 5 weeks later...
smurfy

been a while since anyone posted here. went up last tuesday.............holy molly  did wheezy outdoors have vehicles there for the bear opener. looked like a car lot.

hit Noma lake wed.........kept 5 nords......nuttin earth shattering. thurs was to windy to be on any lake by myself so i played with trees all day, cutting hauling splitting and stacking. i can still feel it in muscles i forgot i had!!!!🤧 fdiday i hit a lake that we fished a bunch but froze out. musta caught 15 nords but all between 12-15 inches long.....there is hope!!!! some family came up friday..... hit another secret lake sat.....had to hunt them down but we did good on sunfish. sunday again it was to windy. 

there wasnt a single sign of bear hunters anywhere in the area i traveled either.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall jig bite for walleyes is in full swing.  There are various schools located across the south shore.  Anglers catching good numbers of walleyes just outside the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods, in front of Zippel Bay and around Long Point.  Depths of 22-28', anchored up and jigging with a fathead or frozen shiners has been successful.  Anglers going through a lot of fish, sorting through lots of smalls to ultimately get nice eaters.  A lot of action.  Some anglers still drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler with success.  Some good walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.
      On the Rainy River...   Intermittent runs of emerald shiners have entered the river as have some walleyes.  Mixed reports by anglers, as the big run hasn't happened yet.  Typically activity increases as water cools.  Current on the river is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses are still effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with a sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and shiners.  Pike showing hanging on weed edges.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      The foliage is beautiful and the walleye fishing is good.  Jigging with a minnow on structure in 10 - 15' and 21 - 27' effective.  Gold, orange and glow colors great choices.  Water temps in the low 60's.  A nice mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, pike and smallmouth.  Muskie anglers reporting nice fish as well. 

• Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• RedSunset
      By RedSunset
      Is anyone out there getting tired of all these fishing tournaments?  Lake Vermilion just came off an August with way too much Bass tournament pressure.  Several folks are really concerned about what all that pressure is doing to our fish populations.  The week of August, first week of Sept. there was a 3 day B.A.S.S. event.  There was pre fishing all week then the 3 day event.  It looked like a swarm of locusts out here on the Lake.  People who live on the lake and people who came up for vacation to fish bass could hardly find a place to fish.  B.A.S.S does not practice true catch and release or Catch Record Release.  There practice is to catch hold in live well,  parade across a stage, hold the fish in a tank, releasing them somewhere in the lake.  The mortality must be quite high.  Besides the DNR is not monitoring how the fish are handled or where they are released.  Both are regulated in the Tournament guidelines for Lake Vermilion. Also those fish are displaced from their normal habitat.  Many residents on Lake Vermilion are complaining.  There are just too many fishing tournaments. Too much pre fishing.  Too often.  Time for the DNR and MN legislators to take a new look at the statutes governing them.
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      28 here this morning.
      Ice fishin will be here before you know it. LOL
      Might even get here before deer huntin. lol
      Jim
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of walleyes caught this week on Lake of the Woods.  For many of the AIM tournament anglers, a lot of huge walleyes were caught this week.   Charter boats and guides doing a nice job of finding good schools of eater walleyes as well as the slots and trophies.  At times, eaters might be in a different location vs the big walleyes.  Walleyes are being caught in 14 - 36' of water.  Two main patterns, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Best spinner colors, hammered gold, pink, glow white, glow red or orange.  Shiny or brighter colors are good starts for crankbaits.  It is important to get cranks down to the fish.  In deeper water, downriggers, lead core line, snap weights and a 4-5 ounce bottom bouncer will all do the trick.
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and along breaks.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses covering water is effective.  Anglers reporting a mixed bag of fish.  Sturgeon activity has picked up.  Target deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike continue to be active around current breaks, rocky areas and in bays.  There are 42 miles of navigable river from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleye fishing continues to be very good up at the Angle.  Good numbers of fish living around Four Blocks and Little Oak Island.  Also good numbers of fish over the mud north and east of Little Oak Island.  Watch your electronics, scattered schools in many locations.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing.  Again, some big pike caught this week by walleye anglers.  Some muskie action this week on topwater.  Smallmouth bass on rocks in 5-15'.  

• austin123456
      By austin123456
      Will be up in the sawbill area this weekend any info on any of these lakes spots colors techniques I would appreciate any info 
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The deep summer "Dog Days" patterns for walleyes are in full swing producing excellent fishing.  As a rule, the big walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.  Two main techniques, drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers or leeches at about 1.0 - 1.25 MPH.  Hammered gold, hammered silver and glow white are good starting colors.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  Some walleyes are still being caught shallow based on forage opportunities.  Different schools taking advantage of current conditions in different areas.  Watch electronics and go fishing!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits and covering water effective.  Sturgeon living in deep holes throughout river.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good walleye fishing continues north of Garden Island, around Little Oak Island and areas north and east of Little Oak with deeper mud.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both producing good numbers of walleyes.  Pike and muskies in deep bays and rocky points.  Smallmouth bass in 4 - 14' in rocky areas reacting well to crankbaits.  

• lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Hey guys! Some buddy's and I usually make the trip up to the Sioux Narrows of Lake of the Woods in June. This year with the border being closed, we went up to Lake Vermilion instead. It was our first time being on the lake. We caught quality fish of every species. Video linked below! 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wishin4Walleyes
      Well, day 1 was a grind. 2 boats, 3 guys we ended up with 3 eaters and 4 smalls. Threw back 1 23". The keepers were good quality (18, 19).   Lead core bite was dead. Jig and minnow got our fish. Today gotta try something different as the spots we fished just weren't holding many fish.   Gonna burn some fuel today and try to find em.
    • gimruis
      I heard western MN was pretty good but it appears that the central area was poor.  I knew there would be more hunters.  Expect more of that when other seasons open.
    • MarkB
      We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake and we fished from Daisy Bay to Armstrong Bay with many stops in between. The fishing party included myself, my cousin, and a very dear friend. We bought pike suckers and nitecrawlers for bait. We used jig/minnow, bottom bouncer/colored hook and beads, and lindy rigs. We fished water from 15' to 30' and targeted rock reefs and holes. The water temperature varied between 57 and 59 degrees depending on the time of day. During our stay, we caught one fish on a minnow and 80+ on a half crawler. In addition, we caught several jumbos that were incidental to fishing for the walleyes. We found that a bottom bouncer, 4'-5' leader, 2-fluorescent light green beads, and red hook worked best. We found fish at most of the places we stopped at and 20'-26' was the optimum depth. The fish bit lightly and most of the time a hit was indicated by a bump followed by a slight drag on the line. We missed lots of fish by setting the hook fairly quickly after the initial bump in an attempt to avoid gut hooked fish. We found the fish scattered with the larger concentrations on mud bottom. Probably 1/2 of our fish were the 10''-13" up and comers while the rest included lots of 14"-17" eaters and several slot fish from 20"-22" and one 28". We had two fish fries and enjoyed every minute. We reserved the same time slot for next year. I think we hit the fall colors at it's peak and it was spectacular to say the least.   Good Fishing😀      MarkB   This was the largest walleye that we caught during our stay........
    • Dash 1
      For me it’s been slow. Last Wednesday got 2 small northern and a nice bass for 5 hours fishing. Was using shiners mainly. Very little boat traffic and access has been mostly empty as well when I drive by.
    • bowkill78
      This is the quietest forum on the planet.  I'm going back to Clearwater for one last trip.  How has the fall fishing been?
    • muskie-mike
      Beats my banana sized walleyes on leadcore...  
    • ozzie
      Hit up the lake Friday afternoon running around we did not get anything but one 22" eye pulling a lindy with a worm.  We then pulled out of the lake and Saturday went to Winnie.  Stayed dry up there but the fishing success eluded our boats.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall jig bite for walleyes is in full swing.  There are various schools located across the south shore.  Anglers catching good numbers of walleyes just outside the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods, in front of Zippel Bay and around Long Point.  Depths of 22-28', anchored up and jigging with a fathead or frozen shiners has been successful.  Anglers going through a lot of fish, sorting through lots of smalls to ultimately get nice eaters.  A lot of action.  Some anglers still drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler with success.  Some good walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'. On the Rainy River...   Intermittent runs of emerald shiners have entered the river as have some walleyes.  Mixed reports by anglers, as the big run hasn't happened yet.  Typically activity increases as water cools.  Current on the river is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses are still effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with a sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and shiners.  Pike showing hanging on weed edges. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   The foliage is beautiful and the walleye fishing is good.  Jigging with a minnow on structure in 10 - 15' and 21 - 27' effective.  Gold, orange and glow colors great choices.  Water temps in the low 60's.  A nice mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, pike and smallmouth.  Muskie anglers reporting nice fish as well. 
    • Muskyhunter73
      I forgot to add all our fish were on a lindy rig with a medium sized rainbow
    • Wishin4Walleyes
      Thanks for the posts all. I've been monitoring this forum for a bit and it had gotten quiet so made me worried the fall bite was off to a slow start.   Glad to hear jig and minnow bite is going as that's by far the most fun way to get em!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.