• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:48 AM, merc said:

They always have beer for me.  If your nice I'll let you in my secret lakes where the fish are as plentiful as the beer in Hayslips!!

i'm ALWAYS nice!!!!!!!!!!! heading up Friday nite. 

gonna be helping over in grand rapids for the lets go fishing groups fishing contest. come on all ya fisher people who think there good. lotz of good prizes!!!!!!!!!!

its at tioga beach!!!!!!!

Edited by smurfy
  • Confused 1

I would come but I don't want to hog all the prizes. But honestly I won't be around this weekend but heading up either Monday or Tuesday. Hope they have a great turnout as it is for a really good group!!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later...

sure is quiet up this way!!!!!!!!!:wacko:<_< well bear hunting was a bust, no time to chase tree chickens, fishing time was far and few between.

trails are a greasy mess but if for no other reason all this rain this year the lakes are finally up to levels of 30 years ago!!!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sheez it's quiet here. ? any ice reports. Cabin lake had about 4 inches in front of our cabin. We had to chop that much around the dock to get that out.

Our group went  3 fer 5 deer hunting. Going back up for the last weekend.

• Wow, ❤ 1

I'll probably be over that way next weekend. I fished a small lake on the Iron Range today, 5.5" of clear ice. Nothing too exciting, caught a lot of small crappies. Did get to borrow my friends Garmin Panoptix unit, absolutely amazing to locate fish. Someday I'll have that kind of $ ?

• I Like it 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Nice fish ! I'm envious of you around here we could almost run the boats again. I  Fished a few of those backwater lakes up around Longville and Park rapids for years some hidden gems you can find just by exploreing.   Used the  Garmin Panoptix a few times last few years real impressive but weight bulkiness and price are keeping me away from one right now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Nice fish ! I'm envious of you around here we could almost run the boats again. I  Fished a few of those backwater lakes up around Longville and Park rapids for years some hidden gems you can find just by exploreing.   Used the  Garmin Panoptix a few times last few years real impressive but weight bulkiness and price are keeping me away from one right now. 

There's still a few lakes up here you could put a boat in. I sold both boats before school so I'm limited to friends and ice fishing. I think for every six lakes in the middle of nowhere I fish one produces. The garmin units are nice for locating fish without punching a ton of holes but once you're on top of them I still like my FL12. In January I'm going to fish with a friend that has livescope and I'm looking forward to that but yes the standard panoptix is still awesome but it's a heafty pricetag 

Edited by Kettle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

I didn't fish but getting lake water we had 7 inches of ice. We were still chasing deer with horns. Appears to me they went nocturnal. Man the road from deer river to talmoon was horrendous. Completely snow packed Friday.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

I sure hope these weather reports are dead wrong or the lakes up there are toast. unless there open yet.?? i'm already thinkin my new years weekend plans are toast.?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

I sure hope these weather reports are dead wrong or the lakes up there are toast. unless there open yet.?? i'm already thinkin my new years weekend plans are toast.?

Smurfy 

All depends on what you plan on fishing.  Lot of little lakes have been froze for awhile but slush is likely.  I'm hoping to fish tomorrow and I am aware of the storm.  There will be plenty of fishable ice just depends on how picky a person is! Definitely don't cancel plans!  I'll report several times between now and then so I'll try and keep conditions up to date for you.

Kettle  

• Thumbs Up 2

thanks kettle. i'm 62 and I've had my share of runins with slush, bad slush...……..nitemare type slush...……… no fun no more!!!!

• Confused 1

9" of ice, no slush, it's just blowing around a lot. Caught fish but I had a meal last week so I let everything go today 

• Thanks 1

Hey Kettle, would you know how much snow there is from the last week storms? I fish the Marcell area a ton so was wondering what it looks like in the area. Thanks a lot!!

2 hours ago, merc said:

Hey Kettle, would you know how much snow there is from the last week storms? I fish the Marcell area a ton so was wondering what it looks like in the area. Thanks a lot!!

Varies a great deal, on the lakes most of it blew around so there was bare ice to 4-5". In the woods I'd say about a foot. There are some big drifts around though!

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot, just what I needed to know. My yard is always plowed so just concerned about the lakes as far as using a four wheeler. Will be up sometime within the next two weeks. Again thanks!!

1 hour ago, merc said:

Thanks a lot, just what I needed to know. My yard is always plowed so just concerned about the lakes as far as using a four wheeler. Will be up sometime within the next two weeks. Again thanks!!

No problem, we are supposed to get more snow next weekend but too far out to predict any specific amount. Another good snowfall and four wheeler traffic could be challenging. If we get a significant amount in the next two weeks I'll post an update 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On two separate smaller lakes today and found slush on both. Probably about an inch or two of slush and about 3 inches of snow on top of that. Might get a few more inches of snow this week. About 12 inches of ice though. Bigger water that froze after the storm has ice that would be ideal for skating. Hopefully get out next weekend and I'll give another conditions report 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the report Kettle. How much snow you end up with from this round? Heading up next week for my first trip this winter. Thanks!!

Significant slush on the lakes I was on today. Too much snow for a wheeler and unless you are on a frozen set of tracks snowmobile is tough. I was pulling my sled today, not far but knee boots are advised. 

• Confused 1
  • I Like it 1

Thanks kettle for the update. Pretty much made up my mind for new year's weekend. Staying home I guess. 

Looking at the Williams Narrows cams, I fishhouse was taken of the lake and it looked pretty darn wet.??

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Thanks kettle for the update. Pretty much made up my mind for new year's weekend. Staying home I guess. 

Looking at the Williams Narrows cams, I fishhouse was taken of the lake and it looked pretty darn wet.??

From the sounds of it, lakes that froze late faired better. LOTW is is decent shape according to reports I've heard, makes me think main lake or deep bays on bigger water might be fine but it's going to be a tough year

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

we are on a smaller lake by spring lake. there was 7 inches of ice already the 3rd weekend of deer hunting, at least where I checked. but there was no snow out on the lake at that time. with your report i'm sure there's more then enough slush out there. I've been fishing that lake since I've been 6 years old. 

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • I Like it 1

28 minutes ago, smurfy said:

we are on a smaller lake by spring lake. there was 7 inches of ice already the 3rd weekend of deer hunting, at least where I checked. but there was no snow out on the lake at that time. with your report i'm sure there's more then enough slush out there. I've been fishing that lake since I've been 6 years old. 

Yea I definitely understand wanting to fish your "home lake." I'm the same way hence while a walked through the slush today, fishing was worth it and I didn't feel the need to exercise after getting home tonight. The conditions will definitely hamper a lot of people's plans. It's a bummer but thinking back it has been quite a few years of ideal conditions so I should feel fortunate for that!

• I Like it 1

6 hours ago, smurfy said:

That house has sat in that same exact spot for 85-95% of the season for at least the last 2-3, maybe even 4 years. Not worth it ? so far this season, I'm guessing.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thanks 1

I just looked at them again, the second picture down. narrows facing east, now looks like the snow is wet...…..want like that yesterday!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

8"-12" of wet heavy snow fell today with more projected tonight into tomorrow. Every lake I've been on in the past week has slush. Unless you have a short walk and rubber boots you'll get wet. Snowmobile or wheeler traffic is nearly impossible. 

• Wow, ❤ 3