• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

APR 2013?

TruthWalleyes

I have. Charles Alsheimer did decades of research on the matter, and clearly stated that the rut is almost entirely based on the moon phases after the autumnal equinox. Weather plays a small factor, but lunar phases are the driving force. It also changes with latitude, but for the most part Minnesota is all in the same zone.

Actually photoperiod is the driving force behind the rut, Charlie just thinks the moon/equinox stuff is the trigger that can set off rutting activity. I don't really know if he is right or wrong but I suggest people take everything into consideration and focus on their own areas because things can happen differently all over the place. There have also been hundreds of posts about "the rut is on" because people see one hot do in late oct. We have to remember the rut is a marathon and things can and do happen at any time.

I've paid attentions to Alsheimer's stuff for years. I've seen things that suggest he may be onto something but some years the guy is just dead wrong for my area and the rut hits its stride during the usually days. Everyone should keep notes and make up their own mind, there is no right or wrong answer here and I don't think one opinion on the rut can define the northern half of the United States.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tfran123

• PurpleFloyd

• TruthWalleyes

• Jameson

The big difference between MN and WI/Iowa is generally the mentality of the hunters in the state. More hunters in WI/Iowa are willing to let young deer grow up a bit while more hunters in MN target the first legal deer they see. Each of these states has areas or pockets that don't represent the rest of the state so areas of WI/Iowa won't hold a lot of mature deer and areas of MN will hold more mature bucks. Just speaking in general here, zero evidence to back this up but I do have a few friends who grew up in MN and now live in those states and they say the hunting is unreal compared the public MN land they use to hunt.

This here is some funny stuff . . .

I have. Charles Alsheimer did decades of research on the matter, and clearly stated that the rut is almost entirely based on the moon phases after the autumnal equinox. Weather plays a small factor, but lunar phases are the driving force. It also changes with latitude, but for the most part Minnesota is all in the same zone.

And now see someone beat me to it, diminishing sunlight triggers rut activity and this is pretty constant year after year. It's been stated in MANY articles that MN usually hits it's peak around 11/12.

This notion of up till early December is crazy. Any way to look at it our firearms season almost always coincides w/peak rut, period.

FYI . . .

http://mathewsinc.com/21443/as-reliable-...ss-the-country/

Probably could post 100 other articles that say the same, but none will say the peak can range from early October (that never happens) to early December (that also never happens).

I'll admit that "mid" months are a stretch. however, mid-to-late October and late November to very Early December aren't out of the question. Don't be surprised if the peak of the rut in many places this year runs during the Thanksgiving week.

How did APR turn into the rut. Just read Bears post and it's covered, shortening of the days, plenty of the does will be bred before November 9th this year I think. Like a November 3rd opener plenty would breed if they weren't shot right away, a lot of those Nov. 3rd-8th bucks will get the job done where most years a good % of them get shot. Last year I shot a decent buck who was with a hot doe, it took 1 minute before another buck was following her trail, the smoke barely cleared and yet another was grunting on her trail as darkness set in so in 40 minutes 2 new bucks scented her out. Remember this, in certain places like OT county I've seen up to 5 bucks trailing the same doe and she actually had her fawns with her so don't think that 1st buck is it necessarily, thatnkfully I was practicing APR in 1988, 231 pound 9 pointer was the finale and that buck was only 4th place in the contest. 43 moons to deer camp.

How did APR turn into the rut.

APR thread is now just a blender of ideas and a place to talk hunting I guess.

Deer should be moving tonight bowhunters, get and whack a few! Practice voluntary APR if you can. wink

I will be out tonight, hopefully you are right, and they will be moving in this 80 degree heat. I went out Tuesday evening, and I came back in dripping sweat head to toe.

Edit: I will be practicing APR, forcibly though.

Good luck hunting this weekend everyone. Looking forward to some cooler weather but it doesn't look like its coming for awhile. 70s next week too.