• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinning Rod Recommendations?

Coach Dog

Question

I posted this on the "Bass" forum and almost forgot about this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Well I got the itch already and am starting to look into buying a new spinning combo for this year. I would like to get a quality combo that would suit the following bass applications: light jigging, topwater poppers, and small cranks. I will also be using this rod for some walleye fishing. Preferably this rod will be 6'-6" (or 6') and medium or medium-light action. By the way, I like a nice soft tip on my spinning rods.
Since the "Bass" forum is full of experts, I would like some input of which rod(s) you all recommend. I think I have my spinning reel(s) narrowed down to two or three, but am still searching for a rod.

Currently I have a couple Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade spinning rods. These rods are great, but would like to try something a little different than the Bass Pro line as I have a total of 6 different BPS rods.

I would like to keep the dollar amount between $50 and $150, so the high-end G-Loomis rods are a little out of my range. If there are any Fenwick, St. Croix, Browning, or Shimano (others also) rod owners out there, let me know what you think.

Thanks in an advance for your feedback and I apologize for giving anyone else "the itch" to fish open water.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

23 answers to this question

For what your describing, I like my St.Croix. I use the 61/2' Avid Medium. I believe I paid around $140. It has a fast enough tip to pitch jigs(1/2 5/8 3/4). It has a lot of backbone to really jerk em out of the weeds. I also use the same rod for some casting for Northerns and Muskie. I have a Sahara 2000 on it loaded with 12# fireline(I think). Hope this helps!

Brian

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 01-16-2004).]

i use st croix and fire line 4 12 and find they work well for a medium priced go with a good fenwick also good luck

g loomis is comparable with st croix in the same price range go the extra bucks and go with g loomis you will not regret it life time warranty

I too love my st. croix. Works great for just about anyhting but handles the bass and eyes well(6 1/2 med). St. Croix also has a warranty, they replaced my rod when it broke(nice rods can get brittle)for like $10 and I didnt even have a receipt or date of purchase.

Coach Dog;
My advice would be to go to Thorne Bros. shop in the twin cities and talk to one of their staff and explain what you will be using it for etc. have him suggest a rod blank then find a custom rod builder, there are many in your area, and have a custom rod built. You will never regret it! Good luck, Ol'Sneller

WCT or anyone else,
A custom built rod would be pretty neat. If I were to purchase a St. Croix or Loomis blank, would a lifetime warranty still apply on a custom built rod? I would guess it would be up to the builder, but a warranty would be pretty important to me if I were to spend this amount. Thanks.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

i have had pretty good luck with all star rods and fenwick the all star rods have a very sensitive tip and pretty good back bone i use my mainly for jigs but i know people who use a 6'6 medium for musky and never had a problem but i guesse its just what a guys likes

You just can't beat the St. Croix Avid Medium fast. For $150 its a GREAT rod!

Fish Head

Just my 2 cents, try the Cabelas XML series. I have tried many rods including St. Croix and Looms, and it seems you get a better rod for that price range. I own 2-GL3's, 2-St.Croixs and 1-Fenwick, but the first rod I always reach for is the XML. The sensitivity and action/balance is awsome. Like I said, just my 2 cents.

Have you contacted Thorne Bros? Ask Lonnie or Bill to help you out. If you want a rod for a specific purpose Thorne Bros will make a rod for that purpose.

St.Croix Avid Series!

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 01-26-2004).]

Dogeye,

I'm with you on Cabela's XML's they are the cats P.J's.

I hauled in a 60lb Sturgeon on the Rainy River with 6lb. test line in 20 minutes and I really put the pressure on this fish. The Rods in my boat are CLS703's 7ft. medium action for live bait rigging and jigging...

------------------
Chells

Here's my suggestion- make a decision on a rod. Get the numbers off of the blank, then call my dad and have him make a custom rod using the same blank. He can get any blank you can find in a store so he can match perfectly what you want. However, this way you'll have your name on it, the color windings you'd prefer, a pheasant feather inlay (if you want), a picture of a bass (if wanted), etc. He does excellent work and you won't pay any more than you would in a store for the same canned rod. Let me know if you're interested.

If you're a bass guru- have you used a Roberts wrap baitcaster yet? Once you try one, you'll never go back. If you're interested, you could ask him about that too.
Scoot

For the price you mentioned, I can't imagine anything better than an Avid. Plus you get the lifetime warranty.

Scoots dad does do great work! He made me a St.Croix ice rod and its great!

Scoot,
Would a lifetime warranty apply to a custom built rod by your dad? Is that up to him or if I got a Loomis or St. Croix blank, would the manufacturer still grant the warranty? Thanks.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

Regardless of brand (Loomis, St. Croix, whatever) the warranty applies to him just like it does if you buy it at a store. If the blank maker will replace the blank, he'll take care of you by fixing you up a new one (no charge for his work that he has to do with windings, handle, etc.) But, just like at stores, if the rod maker won't replace the blank, you're out. This decision is usually determined by the look of the break- if it's clean it's usually replaced for free (often means it was a faulty blank). If it looks as if it's been crushed lengthwise then broken off, it's usually not replaced (operator error).
If you want to talk to him and get any details before you make a decision, he'll let you know what the scoop is.
Scoot

Yup, I fished with Mark this summer. He and my dad met at the National Rodbuilders Convention last winter. In fact, I'm meeting my parents today for lunch when they come through town on their way back from this years convention. Mark's a good guy and the rods that I've seen he's made are really nice. He does some really intricate designs on the rods that take a lot of talent and patience.
That being said, blood is thicker than water and if I don't plug my dad's rods, he'll make me pay for lunch grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif!

Hey Scoot,
Just curious as to how the claim would be handled on a broken rod that is custom built. Would you bring the rod to your dad and he would then talk to St.Croix or Loomis to see if it is covered under warranty?

I haven't had to send a St. Croix or Loomis rod back yet and I've broke a lot of rods. It always seems to be the ones that aren't covered under warranty that break frown.gif I have heard that St.Croix will replace just about any broken rod - slammed in a door or whatever. I know their warranty explains they have the right to refuse, but I've never heard of it happening.

I've done some rod building myself and a good custom rod can be priceless.

Don't forget about Gapen rods! They are a really nice rod for the money and you can't beat the warranty! I love mine!

You'll have to talk to him directly to get the complete scoop on how he handles broken rods- I just know that he's treated people with problems really well.
St. Croix has a much better rod replacement policy than Loomis. Loomis used to be excellent, but since they were bought out, things have changed dramatically. St. Croix is really good about taking care of customers who have problems.
Scoot