• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bow mounted transducer

Ben Trod

Question

What is the best way to go about mounting a transducer for my bow mounted depth finder? The one I have now I mounted on the motor, but I get interference when the propeller spins. I have heard the puck style works mounted on the motor. What do you guys suggest?

9 answers to this question

Interesting. I have a 24 volt motor. I don't imagine I could hook it up to the other battery. I am thinking I have to run it to the back of the boat?

i am afraid i have to agree. i run mine off of my starting batt. and haven't had any problem. i have read articles about locators of certain frequencies do have an interference problem and that you need to add something to the sys. to stop it ( i can't think of what it is called) help me out guys!!!! del

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Some trolling motors give off noise. You can add a filter to the power cord but its best not to share the same battery as the trolling motor. I've got 2 Auto Pilots, one gives off interference and the other doesn't so its not brand or model specific as to which motors are the culprit.

Thanks guys! That leads me to this question. What guage wire should I buy to run power from the back of the boat?

I have a puck transducer on the trolling motor, and I use my sealed lead acid battery that I use for ice fishing to run the unit in the boat.
I put the battery in my front storage bin, so its close to the graph.

Hi Ben,
Yeah, you're going to need to run wires back to your start battery. With a lot of trolling motors, because of 'maximizer' type battery use optimization systems, servo motors and switches, you can get a lot of interference through the power cords. Some combinations of trolling motors/depth finders are worse than others, but generally speaking, you're way better off running wires back. Most riggers will tell you it's a must.

I've always run 10 ga. wire, and if you can, run the wires so that they aren't running next to other wires in the boat's wiring harness. Sometimes you can pick up interference from them as well. It's not possible in all boats though. When fishing the wires, be aware of places where it can rub against framing pieces, rough fiberglass or aluminum edges, etc., and reinforce those spots with wire channel tubing. Also, if you have to splice wires here and there, make sure the splices are sound, and seal them with liquid electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. Don't use butt splice connectors... Few things are more of a pain in the kazoo than a bad wire somewhere between stem and stern that makes your bow mount finder go kaput.

Sometimes, even after all that, you can still get interference directly from the trolling motor contacting the transdeucer. A simple starting fix is taking a piece of innertube rubber and putting it between the motor housing and the x-deucer. If that doesn't work, call the manufacturer of your depth finder and ask to talk to their techies about the problem. They usually have quite a bit of experience with this stuff, and will have some suggestions - might be wiring changes, adding resistors, or what have you. Depends on the particulars.

Whew - long answer...sorry about that. Good luck!

RK

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.