• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winterizing RVmid trip to allow travel from the north frigid country to southern US.

Cove

Question

I have a simple plan, really. Rent or buy a modest RV, pull out of Minnesota in late January and head south, perhaps to Key West, relishing each step of the way as winter wains.

Then someone spoiled my dreams by saying they would not rent such RV for these conditions because they would freeze up . Can't I just start out winterized and start using the plumbing / water when weather allows? It can't be that difficiult. Then on way back I do the opposite. At some point, an eye on the forcast, we decide time to winterize again and close out the trip using no water. Or perhaps there is some vehicle that can take it up north without needing to winterize.

4 answers to this question

We basically did exactly what you are asking. I had a small compressor with and when we got back to snow country we blew out the system and I put antifreeze back in the lines (yes I know you don't need to blow it out first. It's just how I choose to do it). No problems at all.

WS

I can see why somebody will not rent you an RV for these conditions. It can be done and many people do it, but if winterizing is not done correctly it could lead to thousands of dollars of repairs. Many times leaks do not become obvious until it is too late and walls and floors may need repair. For what it would cost to rent an RV for that long you would be better off buying your own for the trip and either keeping it or selling it after your trip.

A rental place will not allow you to do it because they cannot trust you to care for the RV even if you say you can.

Your plan is a sound one for your trip. I've done a similar trip for spring turkey hunting heading south.

The only thing that will hang you up is if you'r'e looking to rent. Most places just won't allow it.

Thanks to the several of you who replied. I think I see situation clearly now. I trust my ability to do the winterization but renter will not.

The dangerous thing I read from your posts is the idea it would be economically better off buying and reselling than renting anyway. I want to hear that but I don't. I suffer temptation here. I think I will scope out buying a modest RV with that in mind. :-)