• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow light on thr fritz. Need help

ssaamm

Question

My red/green bow light quit working. Figured the bulb was burned out. Bought a new light. Plugged it in and no luck. Put the new light in the stern light socket, and it lit up just fine. Couldn't see any loose connections. Any words of wisdom? Checked the fuses and all was fine. Bad switch? The switch does light up when it's flipped up or down. Thanks

6 answers to this question

First thing to do it take a tester to find out if you have power to that socket. If not; then maybe a broken wire, bad connection in the socket. or maybe a bad connection spme where else. Try that for a start.

Try cleaning the inside of the socket where the bulb makes contact for the ground fine sandpaper.They corrode and cant make good contact

Thanks for the replies. Went to put the voltmeter on it today and realized that the switch does not light up. The anchor or stern light no longer works as well. Thinking that the switch is shot. Checked all the fuses again. A 10amp was blown, but oddly enough replacing it did not affect anything. Any other diagnostic tests a guy can do? I'm not real handy. I'm not opposed to dropping it off at my boat guy to take a look at. I would like to give him good info to make the turn around time short. Does my reasoning make sense? Thanks, Sam

I do have an accessory switch that is unused. It's an pain in the rear area to work in. I imagine I just back track it off the one and stick a fuse in the unused switch and give it a shot,right?