• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OVS 560

muskiejoe

Question

What is going on? Anyone know anything? I keep hearing later and later. What is the problem?

That's exactly right. I'd rather have a product that is working when I receive it, vs. have issues. Therefore I would concede and do some waiting but the waiting w/o any info is a real deal breaker for me. At this point, I'm going to hold my coins, wait to SEE it and SEE it working before I buy one.
I worked for an mfg before and we released a couple items w/o getting bugs worked out (actually a few that never showed up during testing) and it was bothersome. We got it corrected but that was not a fun deal to work with. However, that was only over the course of just over two months...not seven. Additionally, we informed people and that made for a WHOLE different demeanor if people had issues. They were more understanding and just wanted the issue addressed. I can't imagine what is going to happen if anyone has any issues w/the unit once they get them.
Perhaps it's not a issue w/the product but some licensing/legal issue w/the technology, mfg process or something. I guess some sort of info on the delay would be appropriate.

[This message has been edited by Ben1022 (edited 07-06-2004).]

Thank you for your comments, guys. For a while there I thought I was the only one concerned about this issue.

As suggested before, maybe Rick could contact MarCum and get their response. Also, Pete Riola is a MarCum technical representative and he posts on this board quite often. Perhaps he could contact the owner of MarCum and get some hard details?

I can't imagine that I could be an employee of MarCum and remain quiet, knowing that there are consumers who are getting madder and madder. They should provide us with an update soon and make us feel better about their company. They should not be quiet on the issue.

Been following this thread and topic for a long time now with interest. My camera purchase will be happening probably in November. I'm definitely interested in the 560 and I sure hope it is available by then. Otherwise my money is headed over to the Aqua-Vu camp.

For all you who put money down last December for the camera, I sure hope you guys receive your brand new camera along with an LX-3 for being so patient.

Back to the top......... Any word out on the mysterious OVS 560?????? How about it? Someone has to kno something.....Marcum rep's where are you. and what's the deal???

The 460's are available right now with the 560 coming soon. Stay tuned.

I've been seriously contemplating the 460 for a while. Same camera minus some features, $100 cheaper.

Strictly from an ice fishing perspective, what features does the 560 have that I'd absolutely need?

Hanson you have a good point. The 560 offers depth, temp, on screen directionals (which is nice for ice)and autopan. I did use a 460 in open water on Mille Lacs 2 weeks ago at night...the new lighting makes a huge difference when night viewing.

Pete,

Why do certain larger chain retailers still say the 460 are backordered 5-7 weeks? A specific one based in NE to be exact.

Also, There will be some MAJOR changes in the camera field from Aqua-Vu as well for this year that will definitely change the way of viewing.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

Hi JPZ, You can buy a 460 at Marine General, Cabela's, the Marcum website among others.

Like I mentioned anglers truely benefit from the competetition among manufacturers so I would expect some improvements from them. Is there an angler out there who doesn't like the opportunity to choose from an array of product and manufacturers?

Pete,

Very true, Isn't it competition that drives the market anyways? The only reason I ask is last time I was on Cabela's Website I did a "mock" order on the 460 and it said it was on backorder for 5-7 weeks. So I was a bit confused.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

Then tell us people that put money down for a 560 in december at the ice show how much longer it could be. SOON is getting real old.

Pete,

Thank you for replying. It is nice to hear you taking an interest in our travails.

As others have said, there is a real trust issue here between the consumer and MarCum. I personally have high regard for your company, and I want you to do well. You have pushed the industry ahead and that is a good thing. But this whole debacle with the OVS560 has left a bad taste in a lot of our mouths, specifically those of us (myself included) who paid in full for an OVS560 in December of 2003.

It would not have been so bad had we not heard "soon" so many times. It is a bit like "the boy who cried wolf" where it is hard for a rational person to believe this claim any more. And such a long period of time has gone by with no word whatsoever from the company about the status.

MarCum has a lot of work to do to re-build the trust that anglers should have in it. They have not managed this issue well by the consumer, and that is too bad.

I am ready to think highly of MarCum once again. But the company is going to have to change the way it communicates to consumers, and re-build that trust.

Maybe Vexilar should come out with a underwater camera!! smile.gif I have an OVS 500 and got it because I was told Marcum was having trouble getting the 560 out. I have had the 500 for about a year now, good thing I didn't wait on the 560. The OVS 500 does the job just fine. I could definately see the advantages of the 560 though. Keep up the patience, it may be worth it, otherwise just bite the bullet and get the 500 now.

Good Luck

Corey Bechtold

Ice Fishing season is fast approaching.... Will we see the OVS 560 before the ice thaws this next season? I almost placed an order for one during the last ice fishing show and paying the full amount. I'm glad I invested it on another fishfinder instead. I am still considering getting one unless somebody else comes up with a equal or better product.

Completely understood and for that Marcum apologizes! What happened is Marcum knew they had a really cool product and they were so exited to get the product into the hands of fishermen that they jumped the gun by predicting that they were coming out in January 04. Remember the Marcum engineers are fishermen too and they got really exited about what they invented right here in Minnesota. The 460's are available now the 560's will be soon. These products are made right here in the USA and rest assured they will be good reliable products for fishermen. I'll post in this thread the availability as soon as I know. Once again Marcum apologizes for any inconvenience caused.

First I whole heartly believe in what brad posted just above this post.

Secondly I have had similar thoughts like auger, but the thing that keep my faith is that this idea is truely a great one, and as much as I really, really wanted a camera over the last 10 months, I hope the ovs560 is all it's claimed to be, becuase I don't really wantr an aqua view, since I've heard so issues with thier build quality.

Personally the boy who cried wolf got a little tiring, I'd just much rather have a good explaintion behind things, I could and would've been happier is back in december if they just said they were having issues and it just might not be out til summer. But I also understand the ploy to say it comming soon, so people didn't just run out and buy an aquaview. Heck I would've ran out an bought one and sold it promptly when i could get my hands on a OVS560....

All I'm saying here is I put a high value in people's words, if they say it will be done I expect it to be done, if you say you don't know when it will be done, then I have a bit more understanding, the the cry wolf calls.

That being said I can't wait to get my 560...