• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brainerd Shore Fishing Reports

Current Brainerd Fishing Reports - Click Here. Show us your pics!

With open water angling only a week away I'm starting to get the itch for shore fishing crappies. When they first come into the shallows it can be one after another. That first fish fry of the year sure tastes great. Many of you have your favorite spots to catch the big ones. Here at the bait shop people are always asking for good spots to catch a few from shore. Here are a few of my favorites to get you pointed in the right direction.

Gull Lake

1. Bar Harbor- Excellant spring fishing off the boat docks. One of the top spots in the area. Tends to be crowded when the fishing is on. Get there early in the morning!

2. Green Lake at Maddens- Small bay on the left side as you enter Maddens Resort complex. About 100 yards of public fishing along shore. One of my all time favorites since I was a kid. Crappies, Bluegills, or Bass you never know what you will catch.

3. The Ditch- It is a drainage ditch in a pasture that leads into Gull. Located about a 1/4 mile off of the Gull Dam Rd. on the corner as you head towards Ernies Bar and Grill. It can be very good early in the spring as it will hold the warmest water Gull has to offer. Later in the spring it is full of Largemouth Bass and Rock Bass.

North Long

1. 371 Bay- Don't overlook this diamond in the rough as you drive by. If you time it right this shoreline can offer the best angling the lakes area has to offer. April and May offer a good Panfish and Bass bite later on as the water warms the bay becomes very weedy. Tremendous Bass fishing in the summer. I've caught many 1 pound plus crappies on this stretch of shoreline.

Pelican

1. Breezy Point Docks- Similar to the Bar Harbor docks on Gull. When the fish are biting Breezy can be a very popular site. Nice crappies can be caught anywhere among the extensive dock system. The #1 shore fishing spot on Pelican.

Whitefish Chain

1. Bertha Boatworks- A small bay within the marina with public fishin from their docks. It can be very good depending on the water levels. In higher water years the crappies pack into the small bay. Sometimes so thick you will see their fins sticking out of the water. Easy pickins with a small bobber and a small crappie minnow.

There are plenty more hot spots for the shore angler but these are a few to get you started. Some of my best crappie fishing of the year comes from these spots. For all your crappie fishing needs such as lively minnows, worms, plastic tails, or a few more of my hot spots stop in. We'll set you up to catch the big ones. Have a nice day!

Jason Erlandson

Good tips Jason. Lots of folks have started catching open water fever, particularly with the nice early spring weather.

Out today on a local creek near home-- got into loads of nice redhorse suckers. Always a fun preseason ritual of sorts, at least for me. And really, these fish aren't just too bad in the old fry pan, either. Find any barrier to upstream movement-- areas like holes just downstream from shallow barriers with rocks or wood. Stops suckers on their upstream spawning run. Fish stacked so dense into the hole I was on that it was almost nonstop action for about 45 minutes. Did I mention fun?

Bring a light long rod-- something like a 7 to 8 foot spinning rod with 4-pound test. Run a light bottom rig with an angleworm or corn grub. Drift the bait slowly along bottom. Hang on.

Soon as ice leaves a certain lake-- it's big carp time for about 3 weeks. Geeze what a fun time of year-- especially the anticipation! Let us know if you guys have been out scouting (or fishing) yet.

-a friend,
Cory Schmidt

Toad,

Where are you finding those suckers? Or if you don't want to give away your secret spot that's okay. I sent you an email also.

Thanks,

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Sounds like fun Toad. With the lack of shore fishing in the area it's nice to give people a few ideas on where to go.

Jeff, I know the bait trappers always strip suckers up on Stony Brook. Not sure about the angling restrictions.

Jason Erlandson

Thanks Jason,

I contacted Tim Brastrup about it. Technically I can sucker fish up there before Trout Season, it's just real difficult explaining to the CO that you would be Sucker fishing and not Trout Fishing. But hey only 1 more week and everything is fair game. Also, I'm JP not Jeff smile.gif Technically a Jeff, but I go by JP as not to be confused with my dad Jeff.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Anglers are starting to get a few crappies and sunnies off the Bar Harbor docks. The news on Green Lake is true someone built a house on the neighboring property and closed the area off.

Jason Erlandson

Jason-
Thanks for the lively crappie minnows and and information. I headed to Bar Harbor after hitting your place, ( it's cool they allow fishing on their docks). The bite hadn't heated up yet, but I still caught a few sunfish. The sunshine was nice. It's too bad was Bar Harbor Restaurant wasn't open. When do they plan on opening the new place?

Thanks again

[This message has been edited by fleeced (edited 04-22-2004).]

Fleeced,

I believe the 28th is when they will be reopening.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Hi Fleeced, Happy to hear that the crappie minnows worked out. Too bad we didn't have more crappies for you, maybe on your next trip. So far the sunfish and bass have outnumbered the crappies in the usual spots. If the nights didn't get so cold it would help the bite. I've tried a little spot from shore after work the last couple of evenings and found mostly bluegills. They are getting very aggressive which means the crappies are getting close to being there. It will be good this weekend. Thanks for stopping in, I'll keep you posted on the hot bites!

Jason Erlandson

• 9 years later...

I do not own a boat and was wondering some good spots to fish from shore or dock that I can get some good panfish or walleyes. Any help would be appreciated.

Blaffish,

There's a couple channels on the Whitefish chain where the walleye fishing can be pretty good. In Crosslake there's a bridge, and by the Wharf restaraunt there's a bridge. There's a ton of current by the Wharf right now which I think might hold some fish for a while.

BLAffish,

Around Gull Lake there is some decent shore fishing around the channels and bridges. This can be pretty good fishing.

I am also interested in areas for shore fishing? Any suggesting would be helpful. Thanks

Bar Harbor docks across from Zorbaz on Gull

French Rapids on the river out by airport

Kiwanis Park dock & you can go down further in park

river access behind cemetery

walk in access down executive acres rd.

rice lake res.

crow wing bridge

There is also info on mn dnr website: "Fishing piers & shorefishing sites"

Copied this off of the dnr website:

Crow Wing Boom Lake pier In Brainerd, in Kiwanis Park, at the E end of the College Drive Bridge.

Crow Wing Green's Point platform From Brainerd, 4 mi N on Hwy 25, then 3 mi E on Executive Acres Rd at end of Rd.

Crow Wing Mississippi River pier In Brainerd, the pier is at the E end of College Drive Bridge by Kiwanis Park.

Crow Wing Mississippi River platform Ft. Ripley Landing, N of Ft. Ripley, take Hwy. 371 N 1 mi., then W on access rd.

Crow Wing Pennington Pit platform In Ironton, 0.5 mi N of Hwy 210 on Co Rd 30, then 0.5 mi W. Park in water access lot.

Crow Wing Pine River platform In Cross Lake, US Army Corps of Engineers Coulter Recreation Area, on Hwy. 3, just below the dam.

Crow Wing Rice Lake Reservoir pier In Brainerd's Lum Park, on the city's NE end, off Hwy 210, pier near the S tip of the lake.

Crow Wing Ruth Lake pier In Emily, 0.5 mi E of Hwy 6 on Mill Road. Park in water access lot.

Crow Wing Serpent Lake pier In Crosby, 3 blocks E of Hwy 210, on N shore of the lake's W end.

Crow Wing South Long Lake pier 8 mi S of Brainerd on Hwy 25. S shore of lake.

Crow Wing Whipple Lake pier In Baxter, from Hwy 210 & 371, go W 2.5 mi on Hwy 210, then N 1.5 mi on Memorywood Drive, then W 0.5 mi on Clearwater Rd. Park in water access parking lot.