• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gun values for insurance?

nitro640

Question

5 answers to this question

I took photo's of all my guns per insurance agent and also gave them the serial numbers.

I also called a gun shop and asked them what the replacement cost would be.

Of course you will be looking at a rider if you are insuring a larger dollar amount.

I am looking at a rider, I went to gun broker, searched all my guns and averaged the prices, came up with double what I thought I had. also took pictures and made a list by make, model and ser#. some of them I believe are fairly old. not sure how to value them.

With a rider policy I think you are covered as far as what you can do. Just have the list of guns and serial numbers in case they are stolen so the police can enter then into NCIC. I've seen guns that were reported stolen 10-15 years and when they were recovered they were able to trace them back to the owner, of course you would have already received an insurance payment from the insurance so the guns would belong to the insurance company.

Mike

I am going through this same procedure, trying to figure out each insurance company is interesting.

I was told by my insurance agency that I need to do the same, take pictures, and document models and serial numbers. The weird part comes in with replacement cost vs actual value.

For example you may have an original Winchester model 12 that to a collector is worth over $1500 but a replacement 12 gauge pump may only cost $500. Sure gets irritating, when you think you are insured for its true value and not what the replacement cost is...

Good Luck

If you can get your hands on a gun bible it has values based on condition, brand, gauge, etc. take pics of the firearm, serial numbers and I would also make copies of the pages with the est gun values so you can share/ discuss them w your insurance agent.