• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Leaked battrey in handheld GPS

herefish101

Question

The darn batteries in my H2O leaked all over my Lakemaster chip and it is now unreadable, is it possible to fix this since I cannot buy the older full sized Lakemaster chip anywhere, the one guy I found that has one that will work wants full price for it. The GPS itself seems to still work fine so long as the SD card is not in the unit. I do not have the money to upgrade right now due to a new bow and some musky gear I have to pay off.

Is the SD card shot, or the reader inside the unit?

Thanks to anyone in advance.

5 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Try cleaning the small brass contacts on the card and in the unit. Get a small paint brush and use some baking soda with very little to no water on it, just damp and try wipping both sides with that, I mean tickle it! Then use a clean soft cloth on the end of a small very small screw driver or tooth pick and wipe it all down. Then give it a try. If all else fails just try and wash off the chip with some warm soapy water. I dropped a camera down to the bottom of Red Lake, the camera was shot but I dried off the chip and it still worked. It's the same kind of chip! wink

Contact he battery company, I had the same thing happen with a different device and they gave me replacement. Be sure to save batteries to send to them and device.

I hate it when that happens, never fails I probably throw away 2 to 3 flashlights a year due to leaky batteries.

Do you think baking soda would clean up the mess?

In my GPS's I use hybrid rechargeable alkalines now, and have not experienced a leak like that yet.

But like leech said there is a good chance the damage is to the GPS, I have washed a number of sd cards in the laundry before and the data on the cards were fine.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

So, herefish101 what did you try? confused

Sorry it took me a while I got real busy at work. I cleaned it with lemon juice because I learned that alkaline batteries are just that "alkaline" so to neutralize a base you need an acid. The chip is shot my computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in, but the GPS lived to work another day. Now for the hard part, finding another Lakemaster chip compatible with an H2O.