• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NanoFil keeps breaking

I spooled a couple rods with NanoFil recently and I am very impressed with the castability and the sensitivity but I am very unsatisfied with the fact that the line keeps breaking, whether I'm tieing on a flouro leader, or tieing directly to a bait it snaps. Sometimes at the knot and sometimes inches away from the knot. I've striped 5-10 feet off and tried again with the same results. Eventually I will get one knot to "stick" without breaking and I'll finally be able to fish but then it seems like my baits are just breaking off mid retrieve a little while later. I'm using 8lb test and I am using the Berkeley suggested knots for NanoFil as well as palomar knots, fisherman knots and uni splice knots.

Has anyone else had these similar problem? The casting and sensitivity isn't worth lost time, lures and fish in my opinion. Any other suggestions on a long casting and sensitive super line/ braid?

I've been a big fan of the suffix 832. Been using it for my walleyes and sturgeon reels since it came out with no issues. Maybe you just got a bad spool of the nanofil

I've read a lot of complaints about the same thing you described. If you keep having issues the solution is simple. wink

I am using the 14 lb nanofil. I use the modified albright knot using 10 wraps up and 10 wraps down to attach floro leader. I have yet to have it break the nanofil or at the albright. Try the modified albright make sure to use 8 plus wraps up and down. It beat the uni knot in knot wars for attaching leaders. Also have you checked your rods eyes? run a q-tip or cotton ball around each guide/eye and see if any fibers catch. A cracked guide can cause line breakage. So far I have liked nanofil and power pro super slick.

Mwal

I've read a lot of complaints about the same thing you described. If you keep having issues the solution is simple. wink

Specifically regarding one of your knots, Uni-splice knots have given me issues at times. Certain fused braids will sometimes cut through 50lb fluoro when the knot is tightened, but softer braids like powerpro perform admirably. my solution was using a barrel swivel to join the lines. 50lb fluoro is tough stuff, so using a light lb super skinny line like nanofil might have issues with splicing two lines together with specific lines and specific knots.

However your problems that you have mentioned seem to be pretty universal, I like using plain jane mono for light applications or braid with fluoro leader for heavier applications to not care about optimizing my casting distance by compromising elsewhere.

However your problems that you have mentioned seem to be pretty universal, I like using plain jane mono for light applications or braid with fluoro leader for heavier applications to not care about optimizing my casting distance by compromising elsewhere.

I'd like to find another line that can cast like NanoFil though (or close) I fish lots of small jigs and baits and I was amazed how far I could cast them, also it wouldn't have any memory so it was nice to use when fishing jigs and being able to always keep a tight line, I've missed countless fish fishing jigs on mono because its tough to keep the slack out and you miss bites. I've used lots of different braids, fireline, power pro, spiderwire, bionic, tuf line, and I'm not impressed with any of these lines. Maybe suffix 832 will be my next try. I wonder if increasing the pound test on the NanoFil would make a difference.

Nano for me, seemed to be a very specialized line ment for jigging in deep water. Sure it casts far but I've also had lures snap off during the cast. I think the problem is that there isn't any stretch to it but it isn't strong like a super line so it can't absorb the shock.

I tried the 10# Nanofil on one of my rods last August and I loved it for the couple months I used it last year. This year the darn line broke left and right. Not the knot, just the line snapping in the middle. It's great line for the short term, but it does not last. Back to PP and 832 for me.

I am going to have to eat some of my words and former reviews on this line. Last year I ran micro cranks on it and caught a lot of fish. This year I tossed a half dozen lures out into the lake. Now I am not that bad of a lab rat. I respooled with the 12# and figured I would have no problems and proceeded to toss a couple lighter lures into the lake. I primarily used this line for running micro cranks so it wasn't overzealous casting with heavy baits but normal casts with small to medium cranks. I have since respooled with suffix and have been impressed with the results to date....stay tuned wink

Tunrevir~

What lb test do you prefer on the 832? I fish everything but I will be using it primarily for walleyes and smallmouth bass, using anything from hair jigs, lindy rigs, wacky worms, crank baits, xraps etc. I like to tie a 10lb fluorocarbon leader on.

I wasn't casting Nanofil last year but I was pulling spinners, after leaving 5 - 6 spinner rigs in the lake it was odious to Nanofil, never again.

Mike

I use 832 for muskies, bass, and walleye and I think its the best braid out there. I originally got it for fishing timber on a camping trip last year.

• 10 months later...

I took the nanofil that I removed from one of my ice rods and put it on my sons ultralight to give it a shot. Good lord does that stuff cast like a bullet. Its incredible. Didn't break anything but also didn't catch anything. If they can figure out the breakage issue and somewhat maintain the cast ability look out. I had power pro on this rod for him before but stripped it off cuz that stuff doesn't break and he broke the tip off after fishing for 45 minutes. :-). I wanted to see if the nanofil worked better for different applications and as far as casting its amazing and I've used a lot of different lines out there.

I've tried a few different braid lines. I've never heard a bad thing about 832 or regular powerpro. I run powerpro, and I've never had a problem. When you find one that works for you, keep running that. I've never tried nanofil, but have come accross some bad braided lines. One was spiderwire EZ. I think the stealth was ok, but EZ was garbage, same with their mono.

THE #1 worst line ever to hit the shelves IMHO.
Yeah, but if you are in a casting contest, I would spool with this stuff. :-)

I hated it for ice fishing, but rather than chuck it, I tried it on the kid's ultralight. If it breaks on that rod then it is total garbage.

I wouldn't classify nanofil as a braid, they call it a super line but I don't think there's anything actually braided in it, the line has zero shock resistance meaning if your casting and your line gets hung up in the reel your lure just snaps off, when I first bought it I was in love with how far you could cast with it, after going through countless $10 xraps and jigs or getting hung up on rocks and the line snapping instantly, or trying to tie a fluorocarbon leader on and when you pull the knot tight it would snap at least 5 times before getting a knot to "stick" I tried the 832 and wasn't a fan, maybe it's because I spooled with 20lb but it was just to heavy for me and couldn't cast it very well unless casting a 1/2 ounce lure or bigger, I went back to regular old 8lb smoke fireline with a 10 lb fluorocarbon leader and i can cast great with it, super sensitive and I've pulled up boulders and trees without the line breaking.

Dooley, I'm like you with Power Pro, it's never let me down so why change. I fall for every gimmick that comes along but $20 for that Nano just really urked me. I can't believe it's still on the market.

Agreed, I have no plans to use the Nanofil with any lures that I couldnt part with, hence the reason it is only spooled on my 4 year old's spinning rod. Between him snapping the tip off the rod the first time he used it and just splashing the rod in the water I dont have high hopes this combo will last long. :-)

If there were a way though to harness the casting ability of this line and have breakage strength that would be the best of both worlds. I wont use it for anything myself. I hope my son doesnt lose a "fish of a lifetime" because of it, but he is young enough he would forget anyway. lol

I remember when Nanofil first came out, everywhere I read people were singing its praises. Within the first 1/2 hour of using it I realized most were either pro staff or couldn't accept the fact that they had just wasted $20.00 on a spool of worthless fishing line. I literally tore mine off of the reel 2 hours into the first fishing trip I went on after buying it. That stuff was bad. Really bad!!

I'm back to straight Trilene XL on 75% of my rods now and am catching more fish with less frustration.

Nanofil = garbage in my experience. Beware the testimonials of pro staffers.

2c

Nanofil = garbage in my experience. Beware the testimonials of pro staffers.

2c

I have to agree. Fireline is a great line. I thought Nanofil would be similar to Fireline, just in lighter test and with less fraying. Couldn't have been more wrong. It's the only "superline" I've ever used that I would consider inferior to mono in terms of use strength.

It is funny to read all of these replies and how easily some of the issues you are experiencing can be fixed so the experience of using the best line for spinning rods can be completely reversed. First off, I am not sponsored by anyone or anything. I use all types of lines on all types of rods etc, and Nano-fil is what I have spooled on all of my NRX spinning rods, 12 lb in white. I use a flouro leader about 3 ft long on both, and it is a stellar combo, I will outcast anyone and pull sticks of great size back to the boat if I snag one.

Issue #1- "my knot breaks too easily"- Fix= tie the knot that it says to on the packaging of the $20 line you just bought, wow, if you listen to the manufacturer it actually works, imagine that.

This is a specialty line, designed for zero stretch, and the least amount of coil memory for the most casting distance of any line out there.

(now I would not recommend using it tied directly to the lure, but if you do, get the green in 14 or 17lb, seems to work much better, my 10 yr old son prefers this and never breaks off, catches several 3 lb and over bass without any issues).

Issue #2- tying a flouro leader and having the line not hold, slip, the knots don't work properly etc.- Fix = tie a double uni knot with 10-12 wraps with the nanofil like anyone recommends when tying this knot with such a smooth and small diameter line. Same as you would with any other superline like braid, etc.

Fireline, spiderwire and the like will also work just fine when tying a flouro leader, and like anything it's a personal preference, to each their own, but this line works just fine, incredibly actually if you just take a couple of extra measures to ensure you are using it the way it is intended. If you do these 2 things you won't have issues.

I fish this set-ups in bass tournaments and when fishing casually, don't change it up for either.. and I have the same nanofil on as last year, just cut off the end 10 feet and boom, ready to go.

hope this helps someone out.

Issue #1- "my knot breaks too easily"- Fix= tie the knot that it says to on the packaging of the $20 line you just bought, wow, if you listen to the manufacturer it actually works, imagine that.

It is funny to read all of these replies and how easily some of the issues you are experiencing can be fixed so the experience of using the best line for spinning rods can be completely reversed. First off, I am not sponsored by anyone or anything. I use all types of lines on all types of rods etc, and Nano-fil is what I have spooled on all of my NRX spinning rods, 12 lb in white. I use a flouro leader about 3 ft long on both, and it is a stellar combo, I will outcast anyone and pull sticks of great size back to the boat if I snag one.

This is a specialty line, designed for zero stretch, and the least amount of coil memory for the most casting distance of any line out there.

(now I would not recommend using it tied directly to the lure, but if you do, get the green in 14 or 17lb, seems to work much better, my 10 yr old son prefers this and never breaks off, catches several 3 lb and over bass without any issues).

Issue #2- tying a flouro leader and having the line not hold, slip, the knots don't work properly etc.- Fix = tie a double uni knot with 10-12 wraps with the nanofil like anyone recommends when tying this knot with such a smooth and small diameter line. Same as you would with any other superline like braid, etc.

Fireline, spiderwire and the like will also work just fine when tying a flouro leader, and like anything it's a personal preference, to each their own, but this line works just fine, incredibly actually if you just take a couple of extra measures to ensure you are using it the way it is intended. If you do these 2 things you won't have issues.

I fish this set-ups in bass tournaments and when fishing casually, don't change it up for either.. and I have the same nanofil on as last year, just cut off the end 10 feet and boom, ready to go.

So...you didn't follow through on attending that Dale Carnegie course I take it?

Power Pro Super Slick is another good option on spinning rods. I use it with a

flouro leader on my jerkbait rods. It casts farther than regular braid. No doubt about it. I have not had line breakage issues so far but just started using it late last summer.