• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The deal about the waders

There is a posting about someone claiming that a set of waders was stolen and that thread has been locked.

However I would like to point out a couple of things, both to the person that posted it and those who may read it. I am a retired prosecutor and so I have some experience in the area.

I doubt that any law enforcement agency is going to do anything with a delayed report concerning the possible theft of some waders. First they aren't worth much. Secondly a delayed report simply raises too many issues. Finally the event would require followup investigation to try and ID the person involved. A license plate doesn't necessarily get you the right guy. Again, I highly doubt that an police agency would spend the resources.

I would bet money that no prosecutor would spend a lot of time on the case if it got that far. Simply the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

The 'victim' of a crime neither starts nor stops a prosecution. You can't 'drop the charges'. Only a prosecutor can do that and they are not bound to follow the desires of a victim.

Finally, the post contains at least a veiled threat. It also threatens prosecution. Here is what Minnesota Statute has to say about that:

609.27 COERCION.

Subdivision 1.Acts constituting.

Whoever orally or in writing makes any of the following threats and thereby causes another against the other's will to do any act or forbear doing a lawful act is guilty of coercion and may be sentenced as provided in subdivision 2:

(5) a threat to make or cause to be made a criminal charge, whether true or false; provided, that a warning of the consequences of a future violation of law given in good faith by a peace officer or prosecuting attorney to any person shall not be deemed a threat for the purposes of this section.

Short point - don't write checks you can't cash.