• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Throwing Carp on Shore to Die

Today I decided to try a new shore spot, about 15 miles from St. Cloud. I must say that I have never been more disgusted. This dam looked like a nice place to fish, but immediately upon leaving the car, a foul stench arose. I don't have a weak stomach - I've dissected human remains during my education - but I was completely driven from this spot. Dozens of carp strewn along the shoreline, swarming with flies and left to rot. I had to laugh at the irony. In order to make a (tiny) dent in the carp population, fill your fishing spot with that horrible smell and filth? I can see if you plan on disposing of the fish when you leave, but this was the equivalent of $#!^^ing where you eat.

I'm guessing Blanchard dam? That kind of thing makes me sick, never understood why some people think it's ok to leave dead fish to rot in the sun on shore, nothing better than the smell of death stuck in your nose and mouth while fishing sick And what does a guy do when he/she finds a mess like this? Can't throw it in the water, and realy don't want to touch it too much...

That might fall within the purview of Wanton Waste if MN has such a staztute.

People who do stuff like this are too dumb to get out of their own way. I don't suggest anybody be forced to do this, but in much of the world the carp is a food fish and quite a few places in this country too. And smoked carp is pretty danged good.

It ain't king salmon from Deer Harbor....but then what is? LOL

It's also illegal. there is no limit on rough fish, but it's not a permit to senselessly kill them and litter a public area with decomposing fish.

I know it used to be a lot more common when I was a kid, but you still see it. It's gross.

There's some misconceptions out there that you're actually obligated to not put it back alive.

Back in the 80's as a wee lad it was illegal to release the carp caught. At the Coon Rapids Dam they had carp disposal shoots. Everyone tossed them on shore to. It stunk and studies showed that it made 0 difference in the overall carp population. The the law was changed in the late 80's early 90's.

Someone is still living in the 80's. Doc called and wants his DeLorean back.

Back in the 80's as a wee lad it was illegal to release the carp caught. At the Coon Rapids Dam they had carp disposal shoots. Everyone tossed them on shore to. It stunk and studies showed that it made 0 difference in the overall carp population. The the law was changed in the late 80's early 90's.

Someone is still living in the 80's. Doc called and wants his DeLorean back.

I did a little bit of digging here to see when this law changed... apparently in 1981 MN lifted the law that prohibited anyone from releasing caught carp back to the water.

Interesting history of carp from the NPS

I just wanted to add,according to the DNR the wanton waste of carp/rough fish dumped complaints are among the most reported across the state.c63

I was going off memory and I'm older than I thought. I do remember tossing carp down tubes at the CR dam. Then they were locked. Thanks for the correction.

Ive been saying it for years but there has to be a way to cook them, that isnt smoking them, to where the mainstream can start taking them home.

They are such a great fight! Why not keep them and prepare them if there is a good way to do so?

However, I do hate seeing so many of them in lakes.

Problem is for the average consumer, 1 carp goes a long ways. You would have to LOVE your carp recipe better 'n most things to have an average family of four consume even 10 - 10 pounders, which aren't hard to come by.

The problem with reducing them is just the sheer biomass that they are.

Ive been saying it for years but there has to be a way to cook them, that isnt smoking them, to where the mainstream can start taking them home.

Jewish, German, and Asian folks seemed to have figured out a way.

The scandanavians in this state are really particular about their fish. Namely that it can't taste anything like fish wink

I hear it's really bony and that's another problem. Mainly for folks that are accustomed to boneless fillets.

So anyone have a good recipe for frying them, or other recipes besides smoking them?

Jewish, German, and Asian folks seemed to have figured out a way.

The scandanavians in this state are really particular about their fish. Namely that it can't taste anything like fish wink

That made me laugh. For years I've called walleye the Wonder Bread of the fish world, because it tastes like whatever you put on it. Eaten by itself, might as well be unseasoned lefse. laugh

I've had carp prepared like shore lunch walleye (breaded and fried in oil). It is bony, and God knows we hate our bony fishies, but it tasted good. It's also excellent smoked, as mentioned. When I was a boy in LaCrosse, there was an old guy down the block who would pay us a quarter for a carp, and he'd give us smoked carp whenever we wanted it.

Come to think of it, that was the first money I ever earned from fishing, and I wasn't even 10 years old yet. A quarter in 1969 meant something, and if you could string together enough quarters from carp to reach $2, well, that was like being the king of the world. smile

Pickling them. Hmm. That would be interesting. Worth a try for folks who like pickled fish.

With the volume of carp the bowhunters shoot, I can't imagine there's anyone in the world who could eat that much fish. Shooting only a usable amount also seems to be out of the question, for some reason....if there's a guy out there who goes out, shoots one fish, and then uses it, I haven't met him.

I don't bowhunt, but I have no problem with it. If I were a responsible bowhunter, though, this kind of behavior would drive me nuts....the volume of the problem is such that I wouldn't be surprised if the DNR began to restrict it. Heck, I was walking in the woods in the middle of Crow Wing County a week ago and came upon a huge pile of them. frown

With the volume of carp the bowhunters shoot, I can't imagine there's anyone in the world who could eat that much fish.

Many in the U.S. come from different cultures than most of us, and have developed a lifestyle over centuries that utilizes fish on a daily basis. I have no doubt that if people in Minnesota made a concerted effort to catch and clean carp, there'd be thousands who would love to take possession of those "other fish."

It's a matter of communication and respect.

Good point, Steve. You're probably right. I was just thinking of the pile of 40 or 50 I stumbled across....that's a lot of jjigae. smile

Come to Omaha or Google Joe Tess restaurant - it was on Diners Drive ins and Dives too. They have done fried carp for years, as do many restaurants in NE with Bohemian backgrounds. You just need to make sure you score the fish before frying it so the hot oil can get to the small bones and melt them down. Cold beer and a bottle of lousiana hot sauce and there is no finer eating. Much prefer it over catfish. As for walleye hype I would rather eat a northern than a eye any day - its all about knowing how to filet/clean and prepare. Same goes for Gar and Drum, dont know what your missing.

You MNguys will eat Lutefisk but wont eat carp?!?!?!?!?!?!?! confused

NEangler is right on. I had Carp in the Czech Republic & Hungary & it was great.

See pictures for a nice fish platter we got. It had Carp, Catfish, Pike-Perch(Zander - Euro Walleye cousin) & a whole fish without much meat.

http://imgur.com/a/FlkZc

I was very impressed with how they prepare the fish soups & dishes while on this trip. I am going to cook up some of my own this year.

Bottom line is if it ain't a walleye to some anglers around these parts, it's okay to be a law breaker, and throw the rough fish on the bank. Did I mention it is against the law to throw carp on the bank? It is called wanton waste. Simple. Boneheads, who set a bad example to many, are the ones doing this stuff. Keep 'em and eat'em, or let 'em go. Simple really.

Bottom line is if it ain't a walleye to some anglers around these parts, it's okay to be a law breaker, and throw the rough fish on the bank. Did I mention it is against the law to throw carp on the bank? It is called wanton waste. Simple. Boneheads, who set a bad example to many, are the ones doing this stuff. Keep 'em and eat'em, or let 'em go. Simple really.
your right, its very simple. let them go

your right, its very simple. let them go

Most of the fish don't release very well after you put an arrow through them but maybe you've had a different experience?

The asains in the town I went to college in would flood their basements and raise carp to eat. I am sure you could make some money off of them if you could find the right people.

They are such a great fight! Why not keep them and prepare them if there is a good way to do so?

There was a locally produced television show a few years back called "Cook What You Catch." I watched it on WFN. One episode featured bow fishing for carp and they had a professional chef prepare the meal. It was a jerk rubbed carp with chutney. They cooked it on the grill and it looked good. I tried to Google the episode quickly, however I didn't find the recipe.

So are you justifying breaking the law just because you shoot fish with a bow? I don't shoot fish with a bow, and can't speak for Jack Pine Guy, but a few members of the bow fishing community (not everyone) need to get on the ball a bit more, and quit taking the lazy way out by disposing of fish this way. Not trying to stir the pot here, but I call it like I see it.

So are you justifying breaking the law just because you shoot fish with a bow? I don't shoot fish with a bow, and can't speak for Jack Pine Guy, but a few members of the bow fishing community (not everyone) need to get on the ball a bit more, and quit taking the lazy way out by disposing of fish this way. Not trying to stir the pot here, but I call it like I see it.

I never said that now did I? I was just pointing out that catch and release is not an option with bow fishing and most of the carp on the shore are likely from bowfisherman. I do not bow fish but if I did I would find something to do with the fish. Instead of complaining on a forum maybe you should consider calling a CO when you see wanton waste happening. I think that would be much more productive at solving the problem.

Okay. The other side of the coin is, the shore anglers with rod and reel are not excused from throwing carp on shore, either. Who said I was complaining? Calling a CO is fine, but how about having some ethics when it comes to fishing activities of all types. You piped in this discussion about releasing of fish after arrowing them, not me, and yet you don't bow fish. Yes, I made an assumption about you being a bowfisherman, so pardon me for it. Seems like you and I are pretty much on the same page anyway, so it's time to move on.