• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reel suggestion

HarleyK50

I have around $75 bucks to put toward a new spinning reel any suggestions? It will be paired with a 7' fast action med power St. Croix premier.

Lots to choose from...... but for just $25 more you can get a sweet Quantum PTI. Normally they are $140 but Cabela's has them on sale for $100 right now.

You know........ if you post a budget for fishing gear it is man law #43 to break it grin

Big fan of Quantum. I have been fishing them for years, have six up to about 15 years old, and have not gotten a bad one yet. No matter what brand you choose, look for quality, but most of all how it feels to you. Then learn to use it in and out.

If the extra $25 is going to break the bank, I'd consider a Pflueger President they run about $60 and that will leave you some $ for line.

Love my pflueger purist on my 6'10" croix. Worth the upgrade from the president (which I also have).

If the extra $25 is going to break the bank, I'd consider a Pflueger President they run about $60 and that will leave you some $ for line.

President here as well

sahara or the purist. Im a shimano guy through and through but the Purist is quickly gaining.

Both the Penn Fierce, and Pursuit have been bulletproof for me so far.

I like my Shimano Sahara and my brother likes his Pflueger President and Arbor reels. They're all great performing reels in the price range you mentioned.

Check out americanlegacyfishing. They have Shimano Symetre's on closeout right now for $59. Usually $99.

Shimano Sahara is the first spinning reel I bought for myself about 20 years ago. It stil works great today. But last year I picked up a pfleuger president and I havent used the shimano since. Abu Garcia Cardinal is a good one for even less money in my opinion as well.

Don't count out the Shimano Sedona, great reel for the right price. I am a Shimano guy myself.

Yup I have a bunch of Sedonas that I have gotten over the past 30 years and every one I got is still in service. Check out the Okuma line as well as those mentioned. Some real good reels in the $75 area.

Got the 6925 and the 6935. For the money, you really can't get a better reel.

I have Sedonas and Presidents. The Presidents are a little smoother out of the box, but I don't have near the years of service on them that my Sedona's have. So can't speak for the Pflueger's durability yet. Either is an excellent choice IMO.

But if you can still get a Symmetre for $59 as listed above, I'd go that route.

Went with the president 6930. Just spooled it up this morning. If the thunderstorms quit I may even get to use it! Thanks for all the insight folks.

There is a deal on Wavespin reels right now on their web site. Looks a little strange but I just got back from a week canoe trip and really liked it. None of those loop tangle things, using 10 lb 832.

Shimano Sahara for me. They last and have been a solid performer for many years. Right in the right price range.