• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mainbutter

Recurve/longbows for whitetail?

mainbutter

Any of you guys go archery hunting with something other than a compound? I've been thinking it might be fun to pick up something to do some fun shooting with, and even consider taking into the field at times when I set myself up for close-range shots.

I'd love to hear about your experiences, how long it took you to get confident in shooting, and any successful hunts.

Sota2Florida

I have been using my recurve the last couple seasons for whitetail. Usually get busted drawing on them but it is still fun. I have had plenty of does within 10 yards of me and call 25 my absolute limit. Didn't take long for me to get comfortable and confident shooting. I bought a couple bluts to stump shoot with and that brought my confidence up quick. More realistic shooting. I haven't shot cedar shafts but aluminum is getting hard to find in stores. Go for it though, the bow I got was the best $100 I have spent in a long time.

slimngrizzly

Id like to try that as well. I shot a nice Browning recurve when I was a kid and would love to dabble with it again! Id like to try one of the "break down" bows. Seems like a handy tool to have?

Mr. Sticknstring took a fine buck with the traditional tackle this past season, im sure he'll have some advice or at least a good story for you!

sticknstring

Don't hesitate any longer - get yourself a bow that fits and start shooting! I started shooting my grandpa's Bear Takedown recurve two summers ago and was bit by the traditional bug right away. They're so light, simple, & fun to shoot. It took a good month or so to build up strength and solidify form. Experimenting w/ arrow spines and point weight took awhile too. The first year, my max hunting distance was 15 yds. I had plenty of young deer within range, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Last fall, I was able to extend my range to 20 yds and wound up shooting a buck at 21 yds in the middle of Oct. One of my fondest bowhunting experiences to date! For me, I have to shoot nearly every day to remain accurate, even if it's only one arrow. But the rewards are definitely worth it! Give it a shot if you're serious about it!

Archerysniper

Id like to try one of the "break down" bows. Seems like a handy tool to have?

I really like my Martin Hatfield

gardn184

I just got my Martin Diablo Takedown and I absolutely love it! At a retail price of 249.99 it's pretty tough to beat for a beginner. It has a riser similar to a Hoyt and for a novice, it shoots pretty good! I shot almost every takedown, longbow, and recurve in the industry at the ATA Show this year and this one came out the winner for me. There's certainly lots of other ones out there this is just the one that worked for me!

mainbutter

For me, I have to shoot nearly every day to remain accurate, even if it's only one arrow

I think this is the one thing keeping me from going full steam ahead. I live in an apartment in minneapolis, and only get up to our "outdoor recreation" land about once a month, maybe twice. Two to four days a month with the ability to plunk arrows keeps me on target with my compound but I am not expecting that from instinctive shooting a recurve.

I wish I lived somewhere that I could shoot daily in my back yard.. argh.

sticknstring

That makes it tough, but there are plenty of places you can shoot in the cities - both indoor & outdoor. If there's a will, there's a way - no excuses! You may not need to shoot every day either, everyone is different. I shoot a lot prior to season, but once the season opens I normally just shoot a few arrows before every hunt. Park the truck and shoot a couple leaves before walking in. The first shot is always the toughest, & this routine helps keep me on track.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ANYFISH2
      Thanks for the reports guys.
    • MinnowBuckets
      The last few days have been pretty hot on areas of the river for a lot of nice bass between 16-18 inches, topping out at 19 inches for my largest. Many were fish located on spawning beds, some hitting aggressively and immediately, and some not interested in even acknowledging the bait. I started out with a 4 inch wacky worm on a VMC wacky weedless jighead, but found that I was getting larger, more aggressive fish by switching to a 5 inch wacky. I would Imagine that the spawn will be all but over within a few days. 
    • RGSports
      I have some Cotton Cordell crankbaits for all, all brand new in original packaging.  I have multiples of every color.  Asking $3 each, will ship for a $5 flat rate.  Can also meet, live in Elk River MN. Wally Stinger 3 1/2 Inch - Sparkle Firetiger, Chartreuse Perch, Purple Passion, White/Red Head 4 3/4 Inch - Purple Passion, Gold Perch, White/Red Head, Chrome/Blue Jointed Wally Diver Perch, Monkey Puke, Gold/Black, Chartreuse Red   Send me a message or call/text at 320-420-9805 to purchase.
    • IronDioPriest
      Hi folks... I wanna specifically address fishermen and women, boaters, outdoorsmen and women, and their spouses and significant others. Also, anyone who believes that our right to access public waterways supported by our tax dollars, and managed for our benefit by the DNR, should not be infringed upon by special interests... listen up... You may or may not know about a new program in Wright County to limit access to three lakes in the Annandale area where wealthy lake-home associations have coerced the County Board into implementing a pre-launch "AIS Inspection Station" in the city of Annandale. Anyone wishing to launch a watercraft on Lakes Sylvia, Pleasant, and John, must first travel to the city of Annandale (miles away from any boat landing), go through an inspection process, and be given permission to launch their boat in the form of a zip-tie on the trailer. There are MANY problems with this inspection regime. One problem is its hours of operation. It is open from sunup to sundown. This means that if you wish to go fishing in the evening, or at night, or early in the morning, you must first travel to Annandale THE DAY BEFORE you wish to access the lake, and get your zip-tie. Needless to say, this will undoubtedly prove to be a big enough burden on boaters and anglers that many will simply choose to go elsewhere, which, we contend, is the unstated goal of the Lake Associations who have funded this effort to lobby the County Board. They want non-residents off "their" lake. Another problem is the fact that these lakes are already unfortunately infested with AIS, which means inspecting boats on the way IN to the lake makes no logical sense. Only inspecting boats in their way OUT of an infested lake will have any chance of slowing or halting the spread of AIS. Another problem is that local businesses in Annandale, Southhaven, and to a lesser extent Clearwater and Maple Lake, will be adversely affected by the reduction in commerce that WILL occur as people from outside these fine communities decide to take their watercraft elsewhere. Another problem is the scope of this program, and the stated goals of those who are promoting it. They have said point-blank that they hope to have every county in MN look to Wright County as an example of what can be pushed through, as Lake Associations state-wide are organizing their resources and their political clout in an effort to see similar County ordinances implemented throughout Minnesota. This could, in the future, lead to a scenario where every boater who does not own lake property will first be required to travel to a central County Inspection Station in whatever county they wish to launch their boat, before they will be given permission to launch at a lake that may be many miles away from the station. We believe this is an infringement on the rights of Minnesota boaters and sportsmen to freely and responsibly access our public waterways. Even the DNR is skeptical of this program, but since it is a county matter, they are accepting it for now. Sorry for the lengthy statement. Now I'd like to ask you to take action. We have organized a social media page, over 600-strong now.... Our goal is to gather as many concerned people as we can in this group - and then appeal to the Chambers of Commerce in these fine cities, to organize themselves and appeal to the County Board for a reversal of this misguided policy, on the grounds that it will harm them economically as people take their dollars elsewhere to avoid the infringement of the inspection regime. If you haven't already, and you are concerned about liberty to access public waterways without undue burdens placed upon your access, would you consider lending your voice to ours, and joining our group? Thank you! Join Us!
    • delcecchi
      Actually, merc has Verado and "four strokes" . I have seen a fair number of mercs on west end but very few verado which have a distinct silhouette.
    • Rick G
      Not as easy to find bullheads in the chain as it was in the 80s-90s.... but you will still get a few here and there. The cats took care of most of the bullies over the yrs😉
    • Horseshoe_Don
      All sizes.  no bullheads in the chain.
    • ducksnbucks
      Thanks guys for the info. I think we will head out tomorrow and give it a shot. Will report what we find, thanks again! 
    • Mike89
      that's a monster ya mean!!!!!
    • monstermoose78
      The Tom turkeys are not playing well the hens are around and have come into the decoys. No Toms to be seen or heard. Lots of ticks today.