• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recurve/longbows for whitetail?

mainbutter

Any of you guys go archery hunting with something other than a compound? I've been thinking it might be fun to pick up something to do some fun shooting with, and even consider taking into the field at times when I set myself up for close-range shots.

I'd love to hear about your experiences, how long it took you to get confident in shooting, and any successful hunts.

I have been using my recurve the last couple seasons for whitetail. Usually get busted drawing on them but it is still fun. I have had plenty of does within 10 yards of me and call 25 my absolute limit. Didn't take long for me to get comfortable and confident shooting. I bought a couple bluts to stump shoot with and that brought my confidence up quick. More realistic shooting. I haven't shot cedar shafts but aluminum is getting hard to find in stores. Go for it though, the bow I got was the best $100 I have spent in a long time.

Id like to try that as well. I shot a nice Browning recurve when I was a kid and would love to dabble with it again! Id like to try one of the "break down" bows. Seems like a handy tool to have?

Mr. Sticknstring took a fine buck with the traditional tackle this past season, im sure he'll have some advice or at least a good story for you!

Don't hesitate any longer - get yourself a bow that fits and start shooting! I started shooting my grandpa's Bear Takedown recurve two summers ago and was bit by the traditional bug right away. They're so light, simple, & fun to shoot. It took a good month or so to build up strength and solidify form. Experimenting w/ arrow spines and point weight took awhile too. The first year, my max hunting distance was 15 yds. I had plenty of young deer within range, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Last fall, I was able to extend my range to 20 yds and wound up shooting a buck at 21 yds in the middle of Oct. One of my fondest bowhunting experiences to date! For me, I have to shoot nearly every day to remain accurate, even if it's only one arrow. But the rewards are definitely worth it! Give it a shot if you're serious about it!

Id like to try one of the "break down" bows. Seems like a handy tool to have?

I really like my Martin Hatfield

I just got my Martin Diablo Takedown and I absolutely love it! At a retail price of 249.99 it's pretty tough to beat for a beginner. It has a riser similar to a Hoyt and for a novice, it shoots pretty good! I shot almost every takedown, longbow, and recurve in the industry at the ATA Show this year and this one came out the winner for me. There's certainly lots of other ones out there this is just the one that worked for me!

For me, I have to shoot nearly every day to remain accurate, even if it's only one arrow

I think this is the one thing keeping me from going full steam ahead. I live in an apartment in minneapolis, and only get up to our "outdoor recreation" land about once a month, maybe twice. Two to four days a month with the ability to plunk arrows keeps me on target with my compound but I am not expecting that from instinctive shooting a recurve.

I wish I lived somewhere that I could shoot daily in my back yard.. argh.

That makes it tough, but there are plenty of places you can shoot in the cities - both indoor & outdoor. If there's a will, there's a way - no excuses! You may not need to shoot every day either, everyone is different. I shoot a lot prior to season, but once the season opens I normally just shoot a few arrows before every hunt. Park the truck and shoot a couple leaves before walking in. The first shot is always the toughest, & this routine helps keep me on track.