• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wave when you drive by!

DocJpa

To all of you guys heading to Winnie, Leech and elsewhere, driving right past Mille Lacs, you are missing a fantastic bite. The walleye fishing is on fire! Yesterday I checked several spots for a group I was taking today. I caught walleyes on every spot I checked and then found the mother lode. They were stacked on a wind blown hook with some green cabbage weeds. Today we caught 43 eyes from 7-11:30 and missed or lost at least 20+ more. We were in 8 ft. of water and caught some as shallow as 4 ft. and this is June! A blue jig with a shiner worked well but snap jigging plastics really turned them on. The lake is as good as it gets right now and yes we limited on keeper fish. People need to come back and fish the pond!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

People need to come back and fish the pond!!

It is truly a sad time in history for a great old lake! She been taken advantage of for so long! I hope to come back. Some day! frown

Hey, I'm not saying the grand ol lake doesn't have some problems to resolve. I'm just saying that the reports of no fish, poor fishing, no fish to keep, just are not true. The resorts are hurting, the lake accesses are empty, and all area businesses have been hurt by the doom and gloom reports. Do some looking around, there are a lot of hungry fish and remember the water temps are still in the mid to low 50's, you do not have to go way out to the flats. There are still a bunch of fish on the shore breaks. And yes we have caught close to 70 walleyes in the last 2 days!

while I don't summer fish the pond at all, I will still be there at my shack a few times this winter! it's not the lack of fish/ small slot that would keep me away, it's my darn bank account! on a lighter note, with a two fish limit, if you average out everything... gas, food, lp, whiskey, etc.... that you go through in a weekend up there, average everything out, you pay $200/lb for that walleye! sure is fun though!

To all of you guys heading to Winnie, Leech and elsewhere, driving right past Mille Lacs, you are missing a fantastic bite. The walleye fishing is on fire! Yesterday I checked several spots for a group I was taking today. I caught walleyes on every spot I checked and then found the mother lode. They were stacked on a wind blown hook with some green cabbage weeds. Today we caught 43 eyes from 7-11:30 and missed or lost at least 20+ more. We were in 8 ft. of water and caught some as shallow as 4 ft. and this is June! A blue jig with a shiner worked well but snap jigging plastics really turned them on. The lake is as good as it gets right now and yes we limited on keeper fish. People need to come back and fish the pond!!

Do you miss dodging boats while trying to fish a spot? Aren't you enjoying the lack of people out there? I don't understand the purpose of your post.

He seemed pretty clear to me his intent: ". The resorts are hurting, the lake accesses are empty, and all area businesses have been hurt by the doom and gloom reports."

Hoping to help the local businesses out because they are struggling.

while I don't summer fish the pond at all, I will still be there at my shack a few times this winter! it's not the lack of fish/ small slot that would keep me away, it's my darn bank account! on a lighter note, with a two fish limit, if you average out everything... gas, food, lp, whiskey, etc.... that you go through in a weekend up there, average everything out, you pay $200/lb for that walleye! sure is fun though!

How expensive is it for catch and release fishermen? laugh

I wonder how much of it is the weather. I bet the weather this year is causing problems for resorts all across the state.

He seemed pretty clear to me his intent: ". The resorts are hurting, the lake accesses are empty, and all area businesses have been hurt by the doom and gloom reports."

Hoping to help the local businesses out because they are struggling.

Yes, very understandable... I'm just really enjoying the lack of boats out there this year. It's so nice to actually be able to work a breakline without weaving through 30 boats!

And I do think the weather has played a big part in it too. This past Sunday was the most boats I have seen on the lake all year, probably because the weather was actually nice for a change.

Exactly Captain Musky, I feel for the businesses around the lake. Yes resorters state wide are hurting because of this crazy spring weather, but the Mille Lacs area is getting smacked twice as hard by the weather and then the fishing predictions earlier this spring. I'm just saying stop by the old lake, give it a try, support some local bait shops, restaurants, bars, gas stations, guides and motels/ resorts. The fishing still is very good and it would bring a smile to a bunch of people to see some boats out there, because right now people are hurting!

License sales for one are down big time and you can bet that's not because of mille lacs "doom and gloom". It is the weather. There probably would be fewer folks out if it were nice on mille lacs due to some of the publicity but right now its mostly weather I bet.

How expensive is it for catch and release fishermen? laugh

See, that's the thing...I've caught more keeper walleyes this year than last, and this year they're all 18-20. Yes, the limit is only two, but two 19'' fish are a lot of meat. As far as I can guess, the resorts aren't having a great year, but for some reason, people were willing to come to the lake last year to catch a ton of fish and keep four small ones, but this year they aren't willing to come to the lake to catch a ton of fish to keep two bigger ones.

I've never actually weighed them out, but I'm curious about the weight difference in fillets between two 19'' fish and four 15'' fish. It must not be that different, and this year it's been a lot easier to catch two keepers than it was to catch four last year. At least for the Stick in Mud boat, and lots of the other guys I've talked to.

really hate to see the lake in the situation its in and the hurting of the resorts and businsses on the lake and surrounding area.

I have seen the best of ML and dont think I'll ever see it again. Really bad that my kids wont e able to experience it like I have.

Glad to see some are still enjoying it and catching fish....but like was mentioned prior - the cost of catch and release is a little too high for me. Add up the cost of gas, food and fuel - for 2 fish?

I know to each their own but a 4 or even 6 fish limit would bring you back? Really? I've heard that argument for years, especially in Canada and that is going to keep people away? I'm sorry but if filling the cooler is that important than the journey and everything that goes with it stop at Cub or Rainbow if it makes you feel better. Quite frankly, I don't get the argument but again to each their own.

I Agree Ben,

because of the slot I have made my trip to the lake this weekend into a double whammy!! I am taking my GF fishing for the weekend and camping at the state park, the limit and slot along with just being out on the water will be just as fun as camping and the great weekend we are going to make it.

Benfishin and denice...I hear what you saying and agree with your posts.

Over the years I have caught lots of fish on ML.,,,what gets me is going there and not able to keep any fish...or just one or two. Yes, its my choice.

As an example, back in 2001 and 2002 when the slot was tight and size structure was larger fish like it is now, I had one day where we caught 121 fish with 3 guys in the boat. Not one fish fell in the slot. Was it fun - yes. Did some of those fish not make it due to hooking mortality - no question, some probably died. Pulling fish off the flats with warm water temps and out deep kills fish - with out question.

I dont want to do that to the lake. I can take friends, guests and clients out to other lakes in my back yard and do well....and if there is a fish in question that cant be released, it goes in the livewell or cooler

Just wanted to state my reasoning....seen too many fish floating on the lake that one could not keep due to the tight slot. When a fish is hooked deep and bleeding - chance of it making it is slim to none. I dont want to contribute to that.

Do I harvest and keep fish from time to time...yes. Limits are not my goal.

I spend alot of time on the water and alot of money in doing so - about 75 to 90 days a year. and as mentioned in the posts - the "journey" is very important to me too.

I want the best for ML. It is a great lake!! I hope things get better for the lake and business in the area....its shameful we let the lake get into the situation its in.

Both sides of this equation make valid points, and in general I would lean towards a fishery that allows less harvest and more catching opportunity with a larger size structure, but when it comes to walleyes there are so many more species that surpass the sporting element of that fish.    In other words the hot grease bath is about the best purpose I can think for them and can understand why people would want to be able to keep more of what they catch.   Even with outstanding walleye and trophy size fishing in ML, if I’m not able to keep a few due to size structure and slots, I can assure you that SMB would be the reason I head up there, not walleye

Winnie and Leech have a fantastic bite going too. Sure it's fun to catch big walleye, but myself and a lot of others would like to be able to keep some. I'll still go, but not as often as I used to. I'd much rather invest the time and money into going somewhere where I can keep some walleye.

I have fished 16 days from walleye opener until today - haven't filleted a fish yet. Actually, i think the last fish i filleted was a walleye on Mille Lacs back in february. I did allow my fishing partner on opener to take a hefty bucket of walleye home.

Fish in the Bucket isn't what keeps me going back to any body of water.

I guess if the folks up there want some business, etc, then they need to quit giving all gloom and doom and complaining so dam much. Some of these guys pretty much scared everyone away and now they are gonna have a tough time making a go of it.

I won't fish it anymore. Hate all the [PoorWordUsage] and moaning. Plus the fish are always starving and not healthy at all, making them dumb and easy to catch.

I'd rather go to Leech or Winnie also. Not so much because of keeping fish, but the folks up there appreciate your business and will give ya a little service if you ask for it, not grumble non-stop.

Hey, I'm not saying the grand ol lake doesn't have some problems to resolve. I'm just saying that the reports of no fish, poor fishing, no fish to keep, just are not true. The resorts are hurting, the lake accesses are empty, and all area businesses have been hurt by the doom and gloom reports. Do some looking around, there are a lot of hungry fish and remember the water temps are still in the mid to low 50's, you do not have to go way out to the flats. There are still a bunch of fish on the shore breaks. And yes we have caught close to 70 walleyes in the last 2 days!

The bite has been aweful this year! Maybe the worst I've ever seen in 20+ years on the lake. If I didn't have a place on the lake I would wave while I drive by as well!

I just laugh when the resorts and guides say how "phenomenal" fishing has been. They must be getting desperate! They should almost be charged for false advertising laugh

Its been the complete opposite for smallies. I have never seen so many boats up there fishing them. Its like fishing a metro lake now. It sucks.

I agree with you bassin the amount of boats fishing Smallies is unreal...It really ticks me off to know that the DNR is giving up smallies in consolation for messing up the walleye population so bad... As far as walleye fishing goes I caught my first fish of the season that was under the slot last weekend. Unfortunatly muskie season opened so in my boat the walleye stuff is put away till the mud bite starts rolling hot and heavy.

It really ticks me off to know that the DNR is giving up smallies in consolation for messing up the walleye population so bad...
I see where you are going with it, but I highly doubt many of those folks that are flocking to ML for smallies are keeping any smallmouth let alone limits of them. I know you didnt specifically say that in your post, but you illuded to it by the "giving up..." comment.

I would like some creel survey results to support this, otherwise I am a firm believer that the change in smallmouth regulations with have little to no effect on harvest of them. Sure there will be more harvest because you essentially couldnt keep any before, but its just not a sought after tablefare.

I didn't think it was that bad. Seemed like there were quite a few boats out there Saturday. Sunday it was empty but that was the weather. I was surprised to see as many boats in the fog yesterday.

Stopped by Eddy's yesterday to ask about a future launch and they said to make reservations in advance because they are full Fri-Sun.

Doesn't seem that bad.

First off there is a huge issue on the lake right now and its not the bite but lack of small fish. There are very few fish under 18 inches and this is and should be the biggest concern. Between a core group of anglers we have only seen 3 fish under 18 inches out of close to 600 fish caught. Now that is a huge concern. Where are they and what happened to them? Is it the large base of predator fish, Bass, Muskies, over harvest by bands, over harvest by public, Zebra Mussels you name it. Where are the bait fish. Where are the birds. I have seen very few gulls, comorants compared to years in past. Pretty scarey time for sure. I fell DNRneeds to step in now and start restocking fry and get the nets out. If that means Catch and Release for a few years then I guess thats what we need to do. I sure hope it does not come to it but hey we need to do something. On a side note those smallies taste great!

If I have to go walleye fishing it is hard to beat Mille Lacs. Catching that many fish over 20in and in deeper water makes the lake fun...half the reason it is so messed up in my opinion is due to the catch it keep it mentality that MANY not all walleye fisherman seem to have. Obviously other factors are at hand but when the small fish slot decimates the male population on the lakes its hard not to draw a correlation.

Look at metro lakes...walleye fishing is just a struggle even on big bodies of water like waconia and tonka but bass fishing is phenomenal. There are to many anglers even with all our lakes to keep everything you catch without upsetting the natural balance. Fishing for me is about fun and the challenge of catching fish. Unless im starving ill stick to the occasional meal.

I really dont think Mille smallies will be affected that much since not a large enough population will be keeping them as stated above. Overall the lake is and will continue to be a great fishery just because of all the habitat no matter how much we try to mess with it...cant wait for my first trip this year!