• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A bunch of Vermilion first timers heading up next week

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for posting on here and making this an enjoyable and fact sharing forum. I am headed up to lake Vermilion on monday with my dad, grandfather, uncles and cousins for our annual get away. We have never been to lake Vermilon before and are renting a houseboat for this years adventure. I am not looking for spots or anything like that just wondering how the fishing has been, what seems to be working, where to get bait, and if the bugs and ticks are bad? I thank you all for your time and responses now and when we get up there i will make sure to keep posted how we do. Thanks again for everything and if you ever make it down to the prairie pothole region of SW Minnesota let me know and i will for sure return the favor. Thanks again for all of your help.

We had a blast up there over Memorial weekend with a house boat smile

Ended up catching over 100 walleyes and some huge perch!

You have a pm that may help ya out.

Take care and good luck smile

For walleye, especially keeper size instead of slot size, stay on east end.

Crawlers, Crawlers and more Crawlers!!!

Seriously? We're up here now getting a few but mostly on leeches and the ones we're getting are running pretty small. Haven't tried crawlers yet because the guy at the bait shop says it's too early for them. Will definitely give them a try tonight.

Thank you all for the tips and hints. We got up here yesterday and got to the site a little late. We went out around the campsite last night and did catch a few walleyes on jigs with leaches. We were out this morning and did well with the worms and a lindy rig and or harness. As a bonus my cousin got chased into the water by a loon just wondering around lost on the island we are morred at. It was pretty funny. Again thanks to all for the tips and I will do my best to keep updates on how we are doing.

In the area we were camping we found the fish to be much more active and downright agressive after 7:45 pm. This would go on until dark and we usually gave up by 10:00pm. The mornings were WAY slower! The last three days we were there we slept in and fished bass and muskies through the mid-morning hours. Where you are may not be the problem, maybe you're giving up too early??? confused

Try 1/2 crawler on a live bait rig in 16 to 7 feet of water fishing shoreline structure from 7:30 to 9:30 pm.

Thank you all for the tips and hints. We got up here yesterday and got to the site a little late. We went out around the campsite last night and did catch a few walleyes on jigs with leaches. We were out this morning and did well with the worms and a lindy rig and or harness. As a bonus my cousin got chased into the water by a loon just wondering around lost on the island we are morred at. It was pretty funny. Again thanks to all for the tips and I will do my best to keep updates on how we are doing.

Ice,

If a loon chased your friend off of an island you can bet that it had a nest there and he got to close! They never leave the water unless they are on their nests!

Cliff

Yes there was a nest there on that island. After we found that we got off of there as soon as possible to give them some space and peace. We moved north and did pretty good with the bass. We also got a couple of muskies too. Nothing of size just 3 2 pounders. Vut it was the first time some in our group got to see them. The fishing has been good for us and I am super thankful foe the tips and help you guys have given out. We are headed out now and when we come back for lunch I will post again. Thanks for everything again and I am super grateful. Good luck to all today

The mornings were WAY slower!

We've been having pretty good luck in the mornings and getting better size fish (17 to 22) then the evenings but once the sun peaks over the tree tops, they seem to be done.

We are having pretty good luck all over. This morning we did pretty good on the bass and had a blast doing that and we had a couple of muskie follows too.

When you are rigging those 1/2 crawlers how long of a lindy are you using and do you add any hardware to it?

BK

Can you guys give any specific areas to fish for walleye in frazier bay? Or close to it? I can run as far east qd tower no peoblem..

The earliest we got on the lake was 7:30 so we obviously overslept the morning bite. My fishing partner has a sleeping disorder so early mornings were out of the question. Maybe next year I'll get up before the sun and go back and pick him up

I might have spoken too soon on the morning bite, the last 2 mornings have been pretty slow. Yesterday we got 2, a 13 and a 16 and this morning I got 3, 1 13 incher, 1 17 incher, and 1 8 incher that a musky tried to take from me right at the boat. We did much better the last 2 evenings so sleep in, you're not missing much. smile

SPC, I tried to send you a PM but it looks like your at your limit and I accidentally sent it to ice_medic. Hopefully it helped you out ice_medic.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It was an amazing trip and we caught a lot of bass. A few walleyes but mostly small mouth bass. It was a blast and they tasted amazing. I know some people think really bass but it was a first for us too and they cooked amazing in the skillet over the fire. And we did release all females we caught because their bellies were full of eggs still. I am a huge promoter of keeping fisheries alive and thriving. I can't say enough about what was all done to help us out and the staff there was amazing and I can not say enough good things about this whole experience. Thanks again for everything.