• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My wife and I have a good opportunity moving back to MN and become residents of Wadena. Wife has a job opportunity and will be interviewing later this month. What can you tell me about the community other than what I've read on the City's and chamber website? We love small communities so this is a great opportunity for us. What about job market for myself? How far do you commute for a job? I've heard that Brunswick is a big employer in New York Mills. Is there a lot of rental housing other than apartments? Wife is being flown in for another interview so I believe the company's interest in her is pretty strong.

I am very familar with the area,What is your job description? If you dont mind me asking, where is your wife's job offer? Its a great area for outdoors people.Lakes are a drive, its one of the areas of Mn without fishing lakes near, without a drive of 20 miles minimum.Hunting is excellant.The land outlay is fantastic for anything out doors.The list is to long so I'll stop there.

We have done business with several companies in Wadena for many years. Most of the well paid people live in the Alexandria area or Ottertail Lake and commute. Wadena isn't much. Safe community with a very good work ethic.

Wadena used to be a thriving community, not so much anymore so it seems. if you move, might be better off looking for employment for yourself in Perham, or possibly even living there if your wife doesn't mind a 20 minute commute. Wadena does have a brand new school if you have kids. That said, it's not a bad town by any means, just not as progressive as say a Perham or Alexandria.

Lund Boat company in NY Mills is hiring, know a young guy who just took a job there and found an apartment in Wadena, NY Mills is about 15 minutes west of Wadena, not much for a town other than the Lund Boat plant IMO.

I am very familar with the area,What is your job description? If you dont mind me asking, where is your wife's job offer? Its a great area for outdoors people.Lakes are a drive, its one of the areas of Mn without fishing lakes near, without a drive of 20 miles minimum.Hunting is excellant.The land outlay is fantastic for anything out doors.The list is to long so I'll stop there.

We enjoy the outdoors, we just have a boat as our toy. I noticed that lakes aren't nearby which I found interesting. My job background has been in newspapers as a supervisor and manager. Looking for a fresh start to try anything to help supplement our income. We hope to have a final answer about relocating in couple weeks. Trying not to get too excited because we thought we had an opportunity in Worthington, but that fell through.

Lund Boat company in NY Mills is hiring, know a young guy who just took a job there and found an apartment in Wadena, NY Mills is about 15 minutes west of Wadena, not much for a town other than the Lund Boat plant IMO.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into this.

Wadena used to be a thriving community, not so much anymore so it seems. if you move, might be better off looking for employment for yourself in Perham, or possibly even living there if your wife doesn't mind a 20 minute commute. Wadena does have a brand new school if you have kids. That said, it's not a bad town by any means, just not as progressive as say a Perham or Alexandria.

No kids, we are keeping our options open for living. She'll be taken around the community on the 17th. How is area for weather? Have a lot of tornados? How are the winters? I'm guessing not any worse than any place else.

They were devastated by a tornado a couple years back...thus the new school but that was a very rare occurrence IMO, winters lately have either been very mild like last year or very harsh like the one just ended...but hey it is Minnesota. Wadena is centrally located to some great areas, Park Rapids just to the North, Ottertail and Detroit Lakes just to the west, Brainerd to the east, Alexandria to the South.

I did see one of the papers in wadena was hiring an ad director or something? I don't recall which one. but the ad was in the west central tribune. hope that helps.

Wadena wouldn't be my first choice in the area for a place to live. As has been kind of stated, it's not exactly an action packed metropolis. I would say commute to Wadena for work if you must, and live elsewhere. Lots of lakes just to the West of Wadena to find a place to live...Just my opinion. wink I have some buddies that grew up in Wadena and they turned out semi OK... crazy

just to clarify - it was the wadena pioneer journal looking for a general manager.

if you were interested.

What community festival type of events go on during the year in Wadena and surrounding areas? We found out about the Old Wadena Society and Wadena County fair. What other events go on during the year that's a big event for the communities?

Many festivals between Perham and Det Lakes not sure about Wadena. Something just about every week from MidJune through July,then Det Lakes has the WeFest every year first weekend in August. You won't be lacking for things to do in the summer that's for sure especially since Wadena is central to some beautiful areas and close to literally hundreds of lakes, only big event in Winter that I know of Det Lakes has the Polar Fest in Feb. Great ice fishing in the area for too.

Welcome to the area Bucketmouth. If you like fishing as your avatar suggests you'll love the area in the open water months and hate it when Winter reigns. My sister in-law lives in San Antonio, they come up ever summer and can't get enough of the lakes and fishing, enjoying, for them, the moderate temps. I live in Wadena and work at Arvig in Perham, a nice half hour ride from door to desk. This week is Wadena's June Jubilee, their version of the towns summer festival, complete with bands, tournaments and lots of other things to do. Wadena is home to Mason Bros, a huge regional food wholesaler and Russ Davis Wholesale, a huge regional fresh produce wholesaler; combine them with the WallMart, local school district and the Tri-County Hospital and they make up the really large employers in the city. Wadena, like most towns in this area has seen better years and lacks a major creative industry with lots of good paying jobs to keep the younger generation in the area. Weather wise, expect winters to be either 6 months long and cold, see last winter, or three months long and mild, see 2011-2012. Springs seem short with long glorious summers and long beautiful falls filled with lots and lots of hunting and fishing opportunities before winter rolls in again. Wadena is centrally located with the lakes being a short drive in just about any direction. Not having any local lakes actually keeps the real estate prices within reason and there are generally many things to do in town. Working in Perham, you couldn't pay me enough money to move there. They have the stinkyest, smellyest town in Minnesota, having problems with their sewage lagoon smell, which is just horrible, and the Tuffy's dog food plant in town only adding to the stench. I've rambled enough, if you have any specific questions, post back. Welcome to the area, once again!!!

Welcome to the area Bucketmouth. If you like fishing as your avatar suggests you'll love the area in the open water months and hate it when Winter reigns. My sister in-law lives in San Antonio, they come up ever summer and can't get enough of the lakes and fishing, enjoying, for them, the moderate temps. I live in Wadena and work at Arvig in Perham, a nice half hour ride from door to desk. This week is Wadena's June Jubilee, their version of the towns summer festival, complete with bands, tournaments and lots of other things to do. Wadena is home to Mason Bros, a huge regional food wholesaler and Russ Davis Wholesale, a huge regional fresh produce wholesaler; combine them with the WallMart, local school district and the Tri-County Hospital and they make up the really large employers in the city. Wadena, like most towns in this area has seen better years and lacks a major creative industry with lots of good paying jobs to keep the younger generation in the area. Weather wise, expect winters to be either 6 months long and cold, see last winter, or three months long and mild, see 2011-2012. Springs seem short with long glorious summers and long beautiful falls filled with lots and lots of hunting and fishing opportunities before winter rolls in again. Wadena is centrally located with the lakes being a short drive in just about any direction. Not having any local lakes actually keeps the real estate prices within reason and there are generally many things to do in town. Working in Perham, you couldn't pay me enough money to move there. They have the stinkyest, smellyest town in Minnesota, having problems with their sewage lagoon smell, which is just horrible, and the Tuffy's dog food plant in town only adding to the stench. I've rambled enough, if you have any specific questions, post back. Welcome to the area, once again!!!

Eelpout, thanks for the info! We are not residents yet, but we are cautiously optimistic. My wife will be giving a presentation during second interview and she wanted to know what community events happen in Wadena and surrounding communities. Hopefully, this will seal the deal and we will know when we can make the move. You nailed the moderate temps that we miss. The heat down here can get old really quick and it can start early in the year.

Just a quick note, staying at the lake cabin, Ottertail Lake,with little or no breeze. Fish didn't bite real well, but did see two boats catch and boat three sturgeon; I know they don't have them in Texas!!!! Keep in touch!!!

dnr stocked some fish a few years back and combined with a few dams removed and the sturgeon now have free roam off the river system all the way to lake winnepeg and beyond. i'm thinking that they run up the river system to spawn or whatever they do. i've personally seen 7 fish caught in the last week.

Wadena isn't a bad little town. has some to offer, but for the most part its pretty quiet. I'm kind of late to the part here, but like eelpout said, ask questions. Someone can answer them. Area fishing isn't bad, but like mentioned its a half hour drive to the lake. Good luck on your journey. Pooh

Well it's official, she got the job! We'll be Minnesotans once again and resident of Wadena or some other community nearby. Not sure how soon we can move there, but they want her by end of June. Lots of logistics to take care of down here and up there.

Congrats to your wife. Good luck on the move. Can always be a little challenge. Hope it all works out for you. I am on Big Pine by Perham most weekends so...

Well it's official, she got the job! We'll be Minnesotans once again and resident of Wadena or some other community nearby. Not sure how soon we can move there, but they want her by end of June. Lots of logistics to take care of down here and up there.

Congrats, way jealous!!!!!!

congratulations to both of you. Just curious. If you are willing to share, where is she starting? I understand if you can't or would rather not share.

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to rent one of the new townhomes in the city. Thanks for the information Steve. I should be in MN sometime this weekend.