• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

IRS Targeting

FM_Mike

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• upnorth

• LMITOUT

• delcecchi

• FM_Mike

At this point someone should be calling for the IRS email and email backup and archiving policies/procedures. No one these days does without Disaster Recovery policies.

I don't care if it is dem or rep or what this is a cover up.

They claim that their policy was to reuse their backup tapes after 6 months, so anything older than 6 months is never retrievable from backup. Who does this? I don't know of anyone other than an agency who is involved in an investigation that would have a backup policy with a retention period never exceeding 6 months. Nobody. For crying out loud, you have to at a minimum keep all documentation related to that FY, if not several years. What a joke.

This issue, among many other administration blunders and miscalculations, is yet another final straw for an increasing number of people, and will not be tolerated by the majority of independents. The o sycophants will even start to have trouble doubling down on their incomprehensible support of this administration.

o said there is not even a "smidgen of corruption" in this ongoing IRS scandal. This stupid statement (among too many others made by him to count) was made before anyone knew the full extent of the problem and will continue to come back to haunt him, and hopefully many other politicians like him. This whole matter further proves that o and his advisors are not only insufficiently competent by a long shot, but in fact have very limited insight, sound judgement and integrity.

o's mismanagement and severely distorted perception is creating a severe crisis in leadership that is further eroding people's faith in our current system of government. I knew o would be bad, but I could not have imagined what an utter disaster this administration would be. I guess the silver lining is that people are starting to see more clearly now the reasons why they should not have faith in Washington governance to do much more than a few very basic things, and that central planning from Washington is very detrimental to liberty, economies, society itself and individual human development.

Well tapes do get resused, but that being said every place I have worked at had a policy of keeping all backups for a month, then keeping the last tape/backup of the month as an archive backup, that would be the one that is kept for the legal 7yrs.

This falls under the category of poor Disaster Recovery. I know that govt requires healthcare facilities(by way of HIPAA) to have a detailed Disaster Recovery policy. I do believe PCI and SOX do too.

The other thing I would add is that when I bring up current events during passing discussions with the few true believers left that I have ongoing contact with, their eyes literally glaze over now. They have seemingly stopped paying close attention to news sources, and no longer even try to posit a rational response. This is getting more and more interesting to watch unfold and I sometimes wonder to what extent o survives politically after the mid-terms, although I know that even a month is a lifetime in politics. I just can't see much positive news coming from the economic or foreign policy fronts by the end of the year, let alone by the end of 2016, if the current long term bond market has any validity in predicting good economic trends.

Well tapes do get resused, but that being said every place I have worked at had a policy of keeping all backups for a month, then keeping the last tape/backup of the month as an archive backup, that would be the one that is kept for the legal 7yrs.

This falls under the category of poor Disaster Recovery. I know that govt requires healthcare facilities(by way of HIPAA) to have a detailed Disaster Recovery policy. I do believe PCI and SOX do too.

Yup, I realize that is what most corporations would do, keep at least 1 monthly backup for the full 5 or 7 years or whatever. I can't imagine that the IRS doesn't have any of those, but that's what they're claiming, and the press is eating it up like it's just perfectly acceptable.

Yup, I realize that is what most corporations would do, keep at least 1 monthly backup for the full 5 or 7 years or whatever. I can't imagine that the IRS doesn't have any of those, but that's what they're claiming, and the press is eating it up like it's just perfectly acceptable.

Sadly you are right. They will just stick to the excuses they have made and wait for the matter to fall off the radar.

This administration thinks every single one of us is stupid. If the hard drive on Lerner's PC was recycled it doesn't matter. All they have to do is pull the information they are looking for off the server. If she was logged in either remotely or in the office all the info is there to be found.

Quote:
Ex-IRS official Lois Lerner’s crashed hard drive has been recycled, making it likely the lost emails of the lightening rod in the tea party targeting controversy will never be found, according to multiple sources.

“We’ve been informed that the hard drive has been thrown away,” Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, the top Republican on the Finance Committee, said in a brief hallway interview.

Two additional sources told POLITICO the same late Wednesday, citing IRS officials.

Now, hold it right there. This is the federal government, and the only copies of internal emails are stored on just the sender’s computer hard drive? What about the servers? What about the recipients’ hard drives? And there are no redundancies?

So, the White House is implying that IRS communications are not important enough to back-up on multiple hard drives, using a RAID configuration or any other means? This boggles the mind – and stretches credulity. In fact, the IRS commissioner testified in March that agency emails were backed up on servers. Continued…

Quote:
It may just be standard government procedure, but the revelation is significant because some lawmakers and observers thought there was a way that tech experts could revive Lerner’s emails after they were washed away in a computer crash in the summer of 2011. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), for example, subpoenaed her damaged hard drive earlier this week, when he asked for “all hard drives, external drives, thumb drives and computers” and “all electronic communication devices the IRS issued to Lois G. Lerner.”

“IT experts have weighed in and said yes — we can get those” emails, said Rep. Charles Boustany (R-La.) earlier Wednesday.

The latest news suggests such professionals may never get the chance to try again — and the IRS has even said its criminal investigators who specialize in rebuilding hard drives to recover hidden information from criminals were unable to restore the data back in 2011.

When an administration racks up so many “coincidences,” maybe it’s time to take the partisan lenses off and acknowledge that we’re dealing with people who mislead the American people repeatedly and obfuscate when caught (aided and abetted by the media’s selective editing and reportage, of course).

Regarding the misleading narrative that progressive groups were also “targeted,” an NPR investigation found that 104 “conservative” or religious groups were targeted to just 7 “progressive” groups – such as Occupy Wall Street. Progressive groups were always green-lighted, while non-progressive applications gathered dust on the shelf.

The White House, then, has a new excuse for once again failing to provide the vaunted “transparency” that was promised upon President Obama’s election to high office: Incompetence with computer technology (oh, well, guess that’s not new – right Obamacare HSOforum users?)

This isn’t just an “oops, did I do that?” and then carry on as if nothing happened: It’s actually against federal law to be negligent with government communications; for instance, losing sensitive data without backing them up. Obama can claim ‘the dog ate the emails, and then I ate the dog,’ but it’s still illegal and it smacks of more than just a “smidgen of corruption.”

Sorry, American people, this administration is like a giant Blue Screen of Death. Maybe it’s time to install a new operating system.

I guess the silver lining is that people are starting to see more clearly now the reasons why they should not have faith in Washington governance to do much more than a few very basic things, and that central planning from Washington is very detrimental to liberty, economies, society itself and individual human development.

Another silver lining is Hillary is watching her presidential prospects whither. It's going to be tough for her to convince the electorate to give her BHO's third term, especially given her incompetence while his SOS

I have been the email admin in 3 different mid sized health care facilities. Only about 10% of the email accounts were over 250 MB. People tend to use there business accounts differently than home accounts. Pics etc are a lot bigger than your standard word documents. Largest account we had between the 3 places was a bit shy of 4 gig and he worked contractors and architects that were sending him building drawings.

Don't know if that is a very good comparison. I believe they testified that the IRS has 90,000 computers and I would have to believe they have many more files and e-mails to handle that a hospital.

Hard for me to believe they IRS doesn't back up their email servers. Daily backups and or archiving hold all the data until someone destroys them.

500 MB phff. I can hardly imagine a 500 MB limit most anywhere these days. But even then that is a pretty large mail box.

IRS chief said last night in testimony that the e-mails are backed up daily but not to the server.

They back them up to some other acct and they are only held for 6 months ort until the system is full, then they refresh with the newer ones.

That's what he said. I could not believe they are still using XP.

Go for an audit and tell the IRS that your computer crashed, you lost documents, you can't remember anything and see how that goes.

I have been audited 2 times by the IRS.

One time, I did lose some receipts. They asked me if I could prove I could take a deductions and after they made 5 phone calls to different companies, they dropped the audit without me ever showing them the receipts they asked for. Actually they were very understanding.

Went very well for me.

Also had a paper audit once and within one letter and 1 phone call to the IRS, all was resolved, I have found the IRS very understanding under 2 audits.

Hard for me to believe they IRS doesn't back up their email servers. Daily backups and or archiving hold all the data until someone destroys them.

500 MB phff. I can hardly imagine a 500 MB limit most anywhere these days. But even then that is a pretty large mail box.

If you choose to believe them that is OK by me. But I will tell you this the larger the outfit most often the more stringent the backup/disaster recovery plans and policies.

Jim Jordan and Trey Gowdy had the questions of the night for the commish. How did the white house find out about the missing emails two months before the oversite comm? Who within the IRS leaked that information to Treasury who in turn leaked it to the White House when the commish himself told those that knew to not talk about it until the full investigation was complete. if you watched last night and didn't feel like puking when Elijah Cummings was speaking you're un-american. Did anyone watch believe his fake emotional plea?

if you watched last night and didn't feel like puking when Elijah Cummings was speaking you're un-american. Did anyone watch believe his fake emotional plea?

Cummings is said to be one of the people that sent letters to the IRS and the Justice Department asking BOTH to review the applications of TEA Party groups after the 2010 election.

He is in this debacle DEEP, and is trying to cover his and other Democrats backsides that were also involved in this special scrutiny of TEA Party groups.

He and others will do all they can to diminish the scandal. whistle

Mike

An Intellectually Honest Media Would Ask This Question

June 25th, 2014

Ignore, for a minute, the IRS targeting of conservative groups and the erasure of seven hard drives at the IRS. Yes, ignore all that for a moment.

While the media is doing its best to avoid that subject, with difficulty, it is absolutely and willfully ignoring another IRS scandal that, had it happened in the Bush Administration, would be the lead story of every nightly newscast and above the fold on the front page of every newspaper in America.

We now know that some person or persons at the IRS intentionally and maliciously leaked confidential tax records of a non-profit organization so that gay rights activists could target the donors of the organization for harassment. We know this from the emails of the gay rights activist who obtained the records through, what he described, as “a conduit” from the IRS. He then sent the data to the gay rights group Human Rights Campaign, which then put the records online. The records contained the names and addresses of donors to the National Organization for Marriage. The IRS is not only seemingly targeting conservative groups, but is now admitting to leaking information about a conservative group so others can target their donors.

Yes, the IRS is admitting someone at the IRS did this and is paying the legal fees of the National Organization for Marriage as a result.

The gay rights activist who received and disseminated the information, Matthew Meisel, “invoked his fifth amendment right not to incriminate himself” and he would not identify his conduit.

This all raises a question an honest media would ask: why has Eric Holder refused to investigate and prosecute this?

The American media will not ask this question because the National Organization for Marriage opposes gay marriage. The donors to the group, in the media’s mind, are bigots. To the American media they deserve no protection. They are oppressors.

But an honest media that believed in equal justice under the law would have to ask the question — why will the Justice Department not investigate and prosecute those within the IRS who leaked confidential tax records to political opponents of the group.

Must we wait until a Republican administration does this?

It seems we need more than one special prosecutor to investigate the IRS and Darryl Issa should be holding hearings on this matter. The IRS is not only seemingly targeting conservative groups, but is leaking information about conservative groups so others can target their donors.

Source

obama and the democrat party's crimes would make Nixon look like a saint... confused

Cummings is said to be one of the people that sent letters to the IRS and the Justice Department asking BOTH to review the applications of TEA Party groups after the 2010 election.

He is in this debacle DEEP, and is trying to cover his and other Democrats backsides that were also involved in this special scrutiny of TEA Party groups.

He and others will do all they can to diminish the scandal. whistle

Mike

My favorite part of the hearing is watching the Democrats treat the IRS as if they are the victims.

That should be good optics. The DNC running to the rescue of the poor IRS. Probably one of the most unpopular government agencies even before all this. Get every Democrat on record defending the IRS

Well, well, well...

One can only imagine what was in the emails that "mysteriously" vanished.

Quote:
Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

Emails show that former IRS official in tea party probe sought audit involving GOP senator

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congressional investigators say they uncovered emails Wednesday showing that a former Internal Revenue Service official at the heart of the tea party investigation sought an audit involving a Republican senator in 2012.

The emails show former IRS official Lois Lerner mistakenly received an invitation to an event that was meant to go to Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa.

The event organizer apparently offered to pay for Grassley's wife to attend the event. In an email to another IRS official, Lerner suggests referring the matter for an audit, saying it might be inappropriate for the group to pay for his wife.

"Perhaps we should refer to exam?" Lerner wrote.

It was unclear from the emails whether Lerner was suggesting that Grassley or the group be audited — or both.

The other IRS official, Matthew Giuliano, waved her off, saying an audit would be premature because Grassley hadn't even accepted the invitation.

"It would be Grassley who would need to report the income," Giuliano said.

The name of the event organizer was blacked out on copies of the emails released by the House Ways and Means Committee because they were considered confidential taxpayer information. Grassley and his wife signed waivers allowing their names to be released.

In a statement, Grassley's office said the senator did not attend the event, and did not receive any invitation intended for Lerner.

"This kind of thing fuels the deep concerns many people have about political targeting by the IRS and by officials at the highest levels," Grassley said. "It's very troubling that a simple clerical mix-up could get a taxpayer immediately referred for an IRS exam without any due diligence from agency officials."

"We have seen a lot of unbelievable things in this investigation, but the fact that Lois Lerner attempted to initiate an apparently baseless IRS examination against a sitting Republican United States senator is shocking," Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, said. "At every turn, Lerner was using the IRS as a tool for political purposes in defiance of taxpayer rights."