• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Mossy19

Kabekona Bay

Mossy19

My family is coming up July 6-13th and are staying at a cabin on Kabekona Bay. Any fishing info would greatly appreciated! Is there plenty of action in the bay with out going to the big lake? I have looked at the map and it gets very deep. Is there structure in the bay or is it kind of like a bowl? Panfish action for kids? Any information would help. If you do not want to post here, you can email me @ [email protected] Thanks!

fishgutz77

Lots of structure in Kab, if you want to fish pannies go to the mouth of the river on the west end.

Walleyes will be a morning and evening thing with outstanding fishing out near the bouys.

that time of year you will want to make at least one night fishing mission to the north end of walker bay trolling cranks in 7-10 fow. have fun.

Mossy19

Thanks for the info Fishgutz!!!! I am getting excited for the trip already! 3 weeks away! One more question, we are renting a private cabin, where is the nearest public access to launch the boat? Thanks!

thatoneguy

There's a public access right on the other side of Hwy 371 from Kabekona Bay. Not sure exactly where the cabin is located, but that might be your best bet.

ncesi

There is also one in the river between Kabakona bay and Benedict lake just off HWY 38, not a busy and is in good condition. Might be closer depending on where you are on the bay.

Mossy19

Thanks for the info. guys! The cabin is just north of highway 38. The road its on is Kabekona Springs Lane. It is west of the Hwy 200 bridge that goes to Walker bay. I do appreciate the help. I have seen other reports of the crappies not in shallow yet up there. Is the bay a good spot for spawning crappies. I found the river on the west side of the bay that I'm going to try for pannies. Thanks for the help again!!

tonyjor

We're heading to Kabekona this Saturday for a week's stay. Looking to try for some muskie and since I only have a little aluminum Cadillac with a 15 horse I'd like to stay away from big water. What are my chances at a 'ski in the bay? I may venture into Walker Bay if the wind is calm if that will be better odds. Supposed to be a beautiful week with temps in the mid 70's. Couldn't ask for a better forecast. I'll post how we do when I get back.

tonyjor

Does anyone have any advice for searching out muskies in Kabekona?

Chuckster

The whole northwest shoreline is a good place to start. Lots of cabbage along the breakline. The other spot would be around the two buoy markers marking a 100 yd stretch or so of rocks.

tonyjor

So there ARE muskies in Kab? I'm glad I have a shot at least. Thanks for the head start! At least I can count on catching a good case of Raccoonitis smile

fishgutz77

I've boated several nice muskies in Kab. the largest I ever had hooked and lost was out near the bouys. While trolling a 9 in bagelys bang O B I hooked one in the mid fiftys that tail walked like a sailfish and ripped the wire through the bait and then tore the back teble right off the O ring. I still have this lure in my collectibles cabinet at home as a reminder not to be under tooled when fishing for skis. good luck shes still in there.

fishgutz77

Take the boat over to Benedict and some fun in there as well.

tonyjor

Looks like it's chock full of northerns so indeed I will! Thank you!

ncesi

The North shore and main point are good spots. We see so many huge muskies in the dark house out there each winter it is amazing. They are there it is just a matter of if you can get them to bite. In the winter they just creep slowly into the hole and look at the decoy and not moving for a long time then they just move out slowly. Really fun to watch!

tonyjor

The landing on the river off of 38 has a retaining wall so it's pretty narrow. Wasn't a problem with my little boat but any boat with size to it might be tough. Taking the in-law's boat to the 371 access in a few. We have a good view of the buoys from our cabin and there's been a few boats out there. Can't see if they're catching though. Gonna try my luck along the north shore later.

tonyjor

Put about 8-10 hours in along the north and northwest shore over the past couple days. Saw a couple 'skis surfacing, one maybe 40 incher. Also a nice school of 20-25" walleye swimming through the grass in 9 fow. Boated a half dozen hammer handles. Had one nice but missed fish trolling out near the buoys on my way back this morning. My Father-in-law is getting frustrated and plans on lindy-rigging the north/northwest side of Walker bay this evening.

tonyjor

Went out to the buoys for a couple hours with my 13 y/o step-daughter tonight and boated several more low 20's northerns and a couple rock bass. We had a great time but can't figure out what the walleye want if they're in there. Also lost the power handle off my Abu Record and didn't bring my other reel. Looks like a trip to Reeds is in store!

fishgutz77

I always pull cranks in 10 fow out there and do well.

be ready to fish till 10:30-11:00 that's when it gets good.

tonyjor

I said I'd post a report when we got back. Sorry it took so long. We had to come home a day early because my wife went into labor early morning on the 5th so we've been busy having a baby!

Fishing was fun up there and I wouldn't mind going back for more. We never stayed out til 1030-11 as the skeeters were thick even out on the water. Sundown usually meant head back to the cabin. We stayed in Kab the entire time and most of the fishing was out near the buoys. Lots of small northerns and rock bass and a few missed strikes that could've been anything. I took my son out to Grand lake here in St. Cloud the other day and did just as well. He even caught a 16" walleye.

Thank you everyone for all the tips! We had a lot of fun and it was a vacation we'll never forget!

schr0563

I was staying on Lake Benedict from 7/13 - 7/20. We spent several mornings and evenings out on Kabekona Bay. Pulled crawlers in 10-15 feet of water on any fishy looking structure - points, turns, bends, etc. Wind was key, the stronger the better. Averaged about 10 fish an hour once we found where they were stacked. Depth and location varied from day to day, even hour to hour. Had to find the spot on the spot. Lots of annoying perch to deal with, but when a school of walleyes was located the perch were scarce. About half our fish were in the 14-16 inch range. Very few big fish. Four guys burned through 400 crawlers during the week.