• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Please dispose of your fish bow fisherman

Shawn Kellett

We live next to a creek and wetland and we and our neighbors had been noticing an increasing smell of dead fish. I figured that there was a carp or two that died in the spawning process which happens from time to time. I started down the creek shore and it took my nose about 30 seconds to find the first one about 6-8' on the shore with a hole through the middle. Going on I about 30' I found another 6 strewn around the area. Mind you these fish were left out in the open about 50' from peoples homes in a wildlife area that kids play in. I have to say that the clean-up was the single most disgusting thing that I had ever done.

Now I am NOT calling for forks and pitchforks against bow fishing. I think that it can have a very positive effect in eliminating carp in our lakes. All I ask is that the people in the sport clean up after themselves and use this story to pass along that message to others. Most of the people in my neighborhood would have called the paper and probably raised a stink (pun intended) to eliminate bow fishing in our area.

I also found a pile of dead carp out on some state land far away from any houses ,and this is defiantly NOT the way to dispose of them either.

If I were going to bow fish I would be setting up some places well in advance for the disposal of the rough fish, My son has been bow fishing and he has been giving them to a few of the neighbors for garden fertilizer along with my garden.

I agree,I bowfish a lot and we have arrangements with local farmers where we can dump our fish.

call the tip line if you can get any information... license plate, car/ person description.... I also bow fish, and yes, having to pick them up sinks, but it's part of the deal. like most other things, there are a few bad ones that make the rest of us who follow the law look bad. not hard to get rid of them. find a farmer with pigs, they feed them to their animals, the pigs love them and from what I understand, they are actually healthy for them, protein?

Good points, guys need to have a place for the fish before they go out. I put them on my field, the farmer that rents my land loves the free fertilizer.

I watched three guys unload their boat into cannon yesterday, they weren't using an access, just backed off the road into the water. I was waiting for someone to come t-Bone the truck, was incredibly unsafe blocking the hwy to launch a boat...Anyway, one of the guys at the water's edge points to the water, and scoops up this big carp and tosses it on shore. It was floppin around. The guys hopped in their boat and took off. Leaving the carp on shore.

I bet i've heard this from 20 people in the last two months "I though they were illegal to throw back"

Many MANY people are still ignorant of the laws on carp or wanton waste for that matter. I think it would be nice if the DNR put carp or something do to with releasing of all fish on the cover of their 2014 regulations booklet. It's amazing how many people still believe it is illegal to release carp.

So, that might have something to do with it in the bowfishing world as well.

I bet i've heard this from 20 people in the last two months "I though they were illegal to throw back"

I was of the same belief. Though, I havent caught one in probably 20 years, but I know back then it was illegal to return any rough fish back in the water.

Its never been illegal to release all rough fish.

perhaps carp at one time, but buffalo, suckers, drum, gar,redhorse? I doubt it...

At 1 time Carp was illegal to release. I want to say it's been close to 20 years that has not been in effect. I grew up under the laws of no wanton waste (I'm only 28), but i know i was not brought up to release carp. Had 3 guys in the boat this last weekend and they all could have sworn that you can't release carp. Carp are fun to catch, they're abundant, difficult to hook at times, and tend to put up a nice fight.

I can't tell you how many times I've had folks down at the river tell me I can't release carp, suckers, bowfin, etc etc etc.

No idea where that nonsense comes from. And it comes from old timers to 20 year olds.

I also don't understand killing stuff just to kill stuff, but I know some people are into it. at least fertilizing the garden is some sort of use.

yeh I get the "you can't throw carp back in" bit all the time and i laugh and tell them they're wrong- I claim to be a carp expert, which I am!

unfortunately that line of thinking is getting another boost because it is now illegal to throw the 3 new species of asian carp back in (I imagine they want snakeheads kept out of waters in the states where they're found now too)

it is now illegal to throw the 3 new species of asian carp back in (I imagine they want snakeheads kept out of waters in the states where they're found now too)

Then DNR are smart guys I tell ya.

Tossing carp on the ground to rot didn't put a dent in the population back when that was the legal thing to do. I suppose the bright guys with the brown hats think it'll make a difference with asian carp. laughlaughlaugh

That line of thinking has got to come from the same gene pool as the AIS Stickers.

I have a favorite spot where I catch my bullheads for flathead fishiung. Most times I go there, there is almost always a pile of rotting carp from the bow fisherman.

Man I wish they would take care of the mess rather than just leave them at a public fishing hole. Lot's of kids come there to shore fish and it is sad when they have to fish by the smell and mess.

I suppose the bright guys with the brown hats think it'll make a difference with asian carp. laughlaughlaugh

not to get in the way of a good DNR rant, but in addition to not releasing asian carp back into the water, you are supposed to bring them to a local DNR office.

I'm not sure its as much about making a difference as it is for research purposes.

when the population becomes established here, they'll be treated just like the common carp.

We kept smelling carp even after I buried them so I took a further walk across the creek and found 9 more for a total of 17 dead carp in the 5-20lb class. These fish were even closer to our neighbors house then ours (15' off the lot line).

Pretty classless.

I am an avid bow fisherman and haul away every fish I take. Some from clean water end up in the smoker. Most are garden fodder.

This year more than most I am finding piles of fish dumped on the banks. One of my favorite places was so disgusting I didn't even take the bow out of the truck. I counted over 100 fish scattered on the bank of a small creek that flows between the two lakes and under the road. This is a popular place for both shore fisherman and bow fisherman. But a few people chose to ruin the area for the rest by dumping fish there. frown

I'm the type that worries about the impression bow fisherman and spear fisherman have in the eye of the public. This sort of thing does not help.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

No good. Fisher people are known for leaving carp and suckers on the banks as well. I witnessed this many times and all ways do my part in telling them it is illegal and make sure to get Lic Plate and make a phone call. I do not like the small of rotting fish while I am trying to catch a few fish. Please if you take a few rough fish out take em with you or toss them back in to fight another day.

along similar lines i had someone tell me they didnt think they needed a fishing license for fishing for "bottom feeder" type fish only walleye pike and bass

I used to freeze dump for bear bait and give them to other bear hunters, a friend of mine takes them to grandpas farm to use as fertilizer, trapping bait is another good use for them, the next time we get a few small fish I'm going to try smoking them!!

I can tell you one thing: there are no bowfishermen on the banks of the Red near my place, but there still are piles of drum, stone cats, half cut-up suckers, goldeyes and dumped out bait buckets from bank fishermen. It stinks to high heaven.

So please, bank fishermen, don't just throw fish on the shore to rot. You're giving all fishermen a bad name.

I'm the type that worries about the impression bow fisherman and spear fisherman have in the eye of the public. This sort of thing does not help.

I was talking to the CO today and he said that this is becoming an ever increasing problem. They're being called out all the time to "dump sites" that would make you vomit. If you're a bow-guy PLEASE get the word out to stop things like this. It will only take ticking off the wrong person with connections before it's shut down.

Yep, It only takes a few bad seeds to ruin it for the whole bunch.

This has happened before, for example private hunting land,use to be you could just about hunt any where,but a few spoiled it by doing things that made the land owners not happy. The list could go on and on. I would hate to see bowfishing become something like that, and like Tyler stated its not only bowfishermen doing this and that needs to be addressed also.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a pile of dead fish the other day. Read about it in Outdoor News too. Seems like this year is worse than most. I don't want to see restrictions on bow fishermen, I just hope the newbies/fools/whoever starts picking up after themselves.

Yeah, from reading the Outdoor News, walking local rivers, and even chatting with a local CO, I am guessing this is becoming a much more serious problem. Heck, I was walking in the middle of Crow Wing County looking for mushrooms, in the middle of a forest on private land, and I found a pile of dead carp right off a rough access road.

I've got no problem whatsoever with anyone bowhunting, though I don't do it myself (yet). The increasing scope of this problem sure looks troublesome....It doesn't seem that unbelievable to see a restriction in bowhunting if this practice keeps up. It's a shame for those who do it responsibly, but what's that they say about one rotten apple? frown

As a previous poster has said, of course, it's not JUST the bowhunters who throw their "catch" up on shore. They just seem to kill a whole lot more than the hook-n-line guys.

For every one person who does the wrong thing; there are hundreds if not thousands who do the right thing......

I am not sure who or what is driving the media on this.. and ultimately the lemmings who follow them.... but one thing is for sure....

No mater what activity, sport or whatever... if you concentrate on the negative anything could be perceived as bad enough to ban....

I am personally sick of always hearing about the bad 1% out there.... lets hear about the good 99%.

This don't mean the 1% dont need to cleanup their act... it just means lets report the bad guys (the 1% that do dump fish not the 99% who dont), hold THEM accountable, even ban that 1% from fishing (if they can't do it responsibility)... but lets stop the witch hunt that calls for the banning of everyone based on the transgressions of the few... that mentality does no one any good and yet it is soooo prevalent in todays society.

In the end you can look at this "problem" however you choose.... I will choose to focus on the 99% who do good, and if I see one of the 1% out there disrespecting the resource... I will snap pictures and video with my cell phone and hand that evidence over to the authorities to make sure the THEY (the 1%) are dealt with appropriately and the 99% can continue to enjoy their sport.

We owe it to all sportsmen to have that same attitude.

Just my 2 sense. .... 2c

-Merk

Once I made a group of fisherman to release all bullhead back in water they left on ground flopping. I don't care if they are ugly or steal your bait al the time, its illegal to wanton waste them. Game fish or rough fish. I treat them equally.

• 3 weeks later...

For every one person who does the wrong thing; there are hundreds if not thousands who do the right thing......

I am not sure who or what is driving the media on this.. and ultimately the lemmings who follow them.... but one thing is for sure....

No mater what activity, sport or whatever... if you concentrate on the negative anything could be perceived as bad enough to ban....

I am personally sick of always hearing about the bad 1% out there.... lets hear about the good 99%.

This don't mean the 1% dont need to cleanup their act... it just means lets report the bad guys (the 1% that do dump fish not the 99% who dont), hold THEM accountable, even ban that 1% from fishing (if they can't do it responsibility)... but lets stop the witch hunt that calls for the banning of everyone based on the transgressions of the few... that mentality does no one any good and yet it is soooo prevalent in todays society.

In the end you can look at this "problem" however you choose.... I will choose to focus on the 99% who do good, and if I see one of the 1% out there disrespecting the resource... I will snap pictures and video with my cell phone and hand that evidence over to the authorities to make sure the THEY (the 1%) are dealt with appropriately and the 99% can continue to enjoy their sport.

We owe it to all sportsmen to have that same attitude.

Just my 2 sense. .... 2c

-Merk

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling it's a bit more the 1% that are causing the problem on this one Merk. I've talked to Brian P about it and a relative who's a CO and it's becoming more and more common. I don't want to see it banned, if for no other reason then it's good for the lakes, but it's an increasing problem. The CO I talked to said that "fish dumps" were taking up more time then any other complaint this year. This increase in frequency is more then likely the driver for the increased media attention.

We need to pound the drum of responsible management and fish disposal as well as put some teeth in the consequences if you don't. Otherwise if these people keep being pigs and ruin it for everyone else.

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling it's a bit more the 1% that are causing the problem on this one Merk. I've talked to Brian P about it and a relative who's a CO and it's becoming more and more common. I don't want to see it banned, if for no other reason then it's good for the lakes, but it's an increasing problem. The CO I talked to said that "fish dumps" were taking up more time then any other complaint this year. This increase in frequency is more then likely the driver for the increased media attention.

We need to pound the drum of responsible management and fish disposal as well as put some teeth in the consequences if you don't. Otherwise if these people keep being pigs and ruin it for everyone else.

Good luck out there kellett....

-Merk