• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hyfax material???

Scoot

Question

Somebody help me out- what the heck is hyfax material? I understand it's used to protect the sled in sled-style ice fishing houses, but what is it? How's it fixed to the sled? Good deal/bad deal? Does it add a lot of weight to a sled? Does it make a sled pull easier or tougher? Should I get some?
Thanks!!!
Scoot

8 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Polyethylene, It'll protect the bottom of your tub from wear. It wont add much weight and your sled will pull easier on ice and small amounts of snow. It's wise to put it on before you wear a hole in your tub.

Scoot, hyfax material is usually 1" strips of high density plastic that is attached to the bottom of your sled with small nuts and bolts. The strips help alot with the wear and tear on the bottom of your sled, and help it track better when towning (stop side to side swaying), and can be replaced every few years when they wear out. Most manufacturers make them for their sleds but I'm not sure about Frabill. There is a guy selling some 1" strips on the under $150 forum or you can check, www.machinist-materials.com, and look for UHMW or HDPE and see what they have available. They will cut it for you but you will have to drill holes and buy the hardware, buying through them will cut your cost in half if you don't mind doing a little prep work. Have fun at LOW this weekend.

Fisherdog

[This message has been edited by fisherdog19 (edited 01-02-2004).]

Cool- thanks guys. When I finally get my house tracked down, I'll be putting some on.

Fisherdog, it'll be me and the gals- could be an intersting weekend. Cold, cold, cold and post-front conditions- not a good recipe for a bunch of novice gals in the house. Oh well, we'll have fun with or without fish.
Scoot

Scoot,
My neighbor works at a factory that makes bread boards from the stuff. She gave me a 6' long scrap piece and I made my own. Cut it into 1-1/8 inch wide strips on my table saw, beveled the front end at a 60 degree angle to fit the slot made for Hyfax on my Otter sled, drilled and countersunk it for #10 flat head screws. Use locking nuts and a flat washer on the inside of the sled. Start at the front when installing on your sled and they will easily bend to fit. Use the wear strips as a template to drill the holes in your sled as you install it.
Cost to me was about $5.00 for bolts,washers,and lock nuts plus a little time.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

If you are by a snowmobile dealer you can somtimes get used hyfax material that they have changed on sleds for free

I got my hyfax at Home Depot, in the form of an 8 foot plastic 2x2, the type used for the new plastic decking. I ripped it into 1/3rds using the table saw, and needless to say it is works just fine.

And boy let me tell you, that 6 bucks really set me back!

For those of you in the Fargo area, you can call Horn Plastics and get some scrap pieces from them for a nominal price. Ask for Phil Horn, he treated me well.

Fisherdog

What do ya think S.T.?

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 01-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 01-08-2004).]