• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Offered a promotion...... but....

B-man715

Question

It would mean a total relocation to southern California (LA area).......

This was just brought up and I haven't responded yet. What questions should I ask?

The position is the next rung on the ladder from where I'm at. If it were to open in MN, it would equate to some increased responsibility and roughly 20% increase in base salary.

I don't mind working out of town or out of the country (Hell, I'm in southeast Asia right now lol ), but I always return home. Most of my family lives within an hour of the metro, and I get to enjoy all of my favorite hobbies the midwest is known for.

For timing, it couldn't be better. 30 years old, engaged, no kids. She recently completed her RN degree, and her employer (the US gov) would be able to transfer her.

My company said they offer a moving package, but I have yet to hear details. We also have a home in MN that would need to be sold (thankfully we have 40-50k in equity depending on what it would sell for). I believe they assist in the sale.

Housing in that part of the country is very expensive. A decent starter home is all of 300k. Income taxes are a couple percent higher, and cost of living is higher. The crime rate is higher, the temperatures, yuppy index, etc etc.

I plan to ask why the position is open, and what the current status, past history and future outlook of the local operation is. I want to be set up for success, not sent over to clean up a derailed train.....

What would you do? What other details should I ask?

If the position ever opened up in MN would they let me come back? I would like to think so?

Isn't that where "Homicide Life on the Streets" was about?

Those John Sandford Prey books (and the virgil flowers series) make Minnesota sound sort of bad too. Fortunately they are fiction.

In big cities got to know where to go and where not to go.

What is the potential for significant pay increases in your industry if you don't move? If you stay here, how long will it take you to double your income?

It depends, but my company already pays on the high end of the industry. Doubling my income (with this company) in Minnesota isn't going to happen. This promotion is the highest I can go (operations related) in the U.S. without moving to corporate. In a city like Baltimore I would be able to negotiate a base salary in the 140-150k range. Not to shabby for a farm boy without a day of college shocked They have a pile of work there and are growing daily. In MN with where we are at now, it would be a good chunk less, but still nice by industry standards.

The more I research the area the better it looks. They have great fishing and hunting in the area. In fact the walleye fishing is supposedly great laugh

Interesting thread. Work in the semiconductor industry? So far your travel schedule looks very much like mine!

If it were me, and I was going in at the 140-150 level, I'd go, see what there is to do around the area. If you enjoy it, great. If you hate it, grind it out and live cheap for a few years, then move back to somewhere you enjoy more with a chunk of $$$ in the bank.

But beware, if you are pulling in 150 and your wife to be is pulling in anywhere near 100, the government will think you're rich and bend you over accordingly. frown

"Contempt prior to investigation will lead to failure."

I've got relatives who live in the Baltimore area and I've been there many times. I think you will find the Baltimore area more affluent than the Twin Cities and there are a ton of things to do. There are fishing opportunities in the Chesapeake Bay and the many fresh water tributaries that are very productive. Baltimore is a big sports town and the downtown waterfront has something going most every weekend. DC is a short train ride away. NYC can be done as a day trip via train if you start early enough. You will also have access to many beach towns and PA is nearby and very accessible via freeway for outdoor adventures and hunting. Seafood is superb and farmers markets are everywhere. Before I would pass on this promotion I'd get on a plane and check it out.