• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How far will minnows last in O2 bag?

Warner's Point

I am heading to Mcgregor tomorrow and want to stop at Vadoos to get minnows since the local shops don't have good quality. Will fat heads make it 2 hours in an oxygen bag?

In a cooler with ice no problem. I set my shiners in O2 bag in fridge for more than two hours last weekend before going down to the lake.

I have had fatheads in a O2 bag over night in my fridge and then traveled an hour to fish and they did fine. as long as they stay cool and the bag is wrapped tight you should be fine. you can also ask for a bigger bag and more O2 and that will help too.

I have gotten minnows on a thursday and kept them in a iced cooler all the way to Rainy Lake on Friday no problem. Same with leeches in a milk carton.

The guy at bait shop in walker said you can keep them in fridge in O2 bag for days we have done it even with shiners I have done it the last couple years now

A long time. I buy bait ahead of time and as long as I keep the bag cool, I've gone a day or two with no problem.

Yep I agree with the others. keep them cool and they will last a very long time in a bag of 02...

I routinely buy minnows and transport them for a couple hours. Most of the time, unless it's hot I usually throw the bag on the back seat of the truck. If I'm keeping them overnight I'll use a cooler. One more thing. Don't lay the minnow bag directly on the ice as that will shock them. Use something to insulate the bag and ice. I have a 2 inch thick piece of egg foam i use. Let the bag warm up a bit before dumping them into the lake water.

The key is keeping them cool. Keeping them cool slows down the minnows' metabolism and thus they'll use less oxygen and emit less harmful byproducts to contaminate the water.

The key is keeping them cool. Keeping them cool slows down the minnows' metabolism and thus they'll use less oxygen and emit less harmful byproducts to contaminate the water.

+1.

Do not place an oxy pack of minnows directly on a block of ice, as you can shock them and they'll die.

You can have problems leaving them in a refrigerator overnight, without shaking the bag several times.

People don't realize that the minnows can use up all the oxygen in the water, even though the bag is full of oxy if it lays still. Shaking the bag mixes the water with the oxy, which is why you lose few to no minnows if you're portaging them.