• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Otter should I get?

FishDad

Question

-Happy New Year-

Which Otter should I get? The Med. Cabin (66"L x 79"W x 68"H / 60 lbs.)
or the Magnum Lodge (74"L x 94"W x 74"H / 80 lbs.)
with bench seats? I (age 41 / 200 lbs.) will be pulling the sled by hand and mostly fishing with my two kids (boy 8 / 100 lbs. and girl 6 / 50 lbs.). I’m hoping that the Med. Cabin w/bench
will suite my needs but I’m afraid that it won’t be large enough. Some mornings I will be fishing solo till noon and I feel that the Lodge will me too big to drag out and set up by myself and heat. However, sometimes I’ll be out with a buddy.
I’ve been to Otter Outdoors web site and made up my mind on the Otter with a bench seating but unsure on the model. I’ve been using Search and reading Otter posts but haven’t found any posts that are somewhat similar. Unfortunately, I have no stores around me that has the Otters on display.

Any advice by someone that was in my situation would be greatly appreciated.
-FishDad, Ohio

13 answers to this question

If kids are involved or you fish with a partner every so often go with the Lodge. Get Hyfax on the bottom too. You will be glad ya did.

Fishdad..i have an otter magnum and i pull it by myself when the ice is too thin for my atv. i heat it with a regular paulin heater cooker when its cold and a black cat when its not real cold. the black cat's catalytic and won't fume ya out. don't worry, they are very easy to set up by yourself. i upgraded to the otter from a clam fishtrap 2, because i wanted more room. i looked at the medium otter, and decided that if i was gonna buy a new shelter, i wanted one larger than the the fishtrap 2. i fish mostly by myself, but once in awhile i'll take some one along, and the clam wasn't quite large enough. i'm real happy with the otter. i use the factory boat seat not the bench. i still have the clam, and i still use it especially when i can't take my van because of bad weather. the clam fits in the back of my suv. my clam is an older one with the heavy canvas and tub. the otter is more comfortable than the fishtrap 2. i have the green canvas cause i'm not into viking purple. once your kids get bigger, just have them pull it out for you. or sooner or later, get an atv. spraying the bottom of the tub with silicon makes it slide easier too. i had the guys at the store where i bought it put it together, cause they do it all the time. I don't know if i would put one together but i'm sure it isn't too bad. good luck, happy new year too.

I would definitely go with the Lodge. I myself just got the Lodge and fish by myself 90% of the time. It is very easy to pull and set up with one person. I also take the kids (2) and you will appreciate the extra room, trust me, LOL. I am not sure of the price difference but it is definitely worth it to go bigger if possible. I use a Mr. Heater in mine and lately it has kept it very warm while on the low setting.

I just took my Otter cabin out for the first time today and I love it.........however, I would probably go with the magnum if I could do it all over again. There was enough room for me and my wife but if it was me and a buddy, there probably won't be too much room to spare. Otter is definatly the way to go and with kids I would go with the magnum lodge.

You will be happier with the Lodge.Three people in a shak can get tight.Especially when they are kids.

I have seen both of them set up I'm not sure on the weight difference but you can never have enough room. With a couple of kids along I would go with the lodge you should have plenty of room for you and your kids. If your kids are like mine there in and out in and out if the action is not fast and furious for that reason the lodge would be an excellent choice.

Lodge by all means!! I have a cabin and love it, but when my 2 youngest daughters (11&14) are with, dad (me!!) ends up fishing outside frown.gif IMHO the cabin is just to small for 3, OK for 2, perfect for 1.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by MNice (edited 01-02-2004).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Just as others have said, I'd go with the lodge. You'll need the extra room with the kids and a buddy. A Mr Heater will do do nicely for heat.

If you're taking 2 kids, get the Lodge. I have the Cabin and I know I wouldn't even attempt to fish 3 out of it. 2 is ok, just myself is perfect. Either way, you'll be very pleased with the Otter!

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

FishDad,
I own the Ottrer lodge and fish by myself most of time and the space is wonderful. I find with the more things that I seem to need to carry in the sled the harder it is to get back into my 3/4 ton pick-up but I can still do it by myself. My thought is that if it gets to hard to load I'll just peel back the cover and remove a few things. Let me say again the extra room is wonderful. smile.gif
Take care, BD110

I just put a similar post in the Ice Fishing Main forum. I'm a little younger and a little bigger than you and have similar concerns about loading and dragging the Lodge, but I think I'll go with the Lodge for the extra space. I have a couple buddies that have the Cabin and while they're nice houses I'm looking for a little more headroom and a little more room to spread out.