• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

EXTREME

I just read an article in the Grand Rapids Herald Review that stated that there is now Zebra Mussels in Sand Lake in Northern Itasca County. This is the same Sand Lake that is connected to Bowstring Lake. I am guessing that is infested as well. I guess some guy was putting in his dock when he noticed some dead critters on his dock posts from last fall. He called the DNR and I guess they were Zebra Mussels. Just seems impossible to control those little buggers. A guy tries to keep them out of your boat, but all it takes is one person. Thought everyone should know.

TruthWalleyes

if only that "one guy" had a sticker smirk

Gus

Maybe if that "one guy" would not have been such a selfish pig and actually followed the law, there wouldn't be another lake on the list.

Make fun of the sticker all you want, guys out there STILL don't follow the law. What is your bright idea to get people to wake up????

TruthWalleyes

I follow the law - My plug is pulled. Bait is drained...But i still legally transfer water in the hull of my boat from lake to lake...So i guess i'm that "One Guy" among many guys who have a leak in their boat.

My bright idea would be to focus our DNR money on other things besides the inevitable.

Curly Leaf Pond Weed - Invasive, once frowned upon and hyped as much as zebra mussels - can be found in almost every lake in the entire country. Zebra Mussels will be too, and eventually they will stabalize and we'll focus on the next invasive that is too late to stop.

I say who gives a carp.

Gus

I can see your points. I haven't given up hope yet. People just need to quit being so lazy.

And my boat leaks also... But I doubt any zebs are getting transferred through a leaky rivet or 2.

To say it is inevitable... It probably is. But that's only because we as sportsmen and sportswomen have already failed on ourselves. It is a shame.

TruthWalleyes

That maybe so. However - about your rivet holes:

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2013/01/31/zebra-mussel-veligers-discovered-in-lake-winnibigoshish/

"Water sampling efforts have detected the presence of two microscopic, larval zebra mussels, also called veligers, in Lake Winnibigoshish located in Cass and Itasca counties, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) said. "

I'm just not convinced that you can actually stop the spread of this species...Short of not using the lakes, or having a several day waiting period between visits to a lake - and i'm not sure the damage done by this species is nearly as bad as it is made out to be. The way the govt "Sells" the problem reminds me of marijuana - devils drug.

Gus

Proves a point. I'm never too old to learn something new.

Gus

Personally, I also believe that migratory birds have more to do with this than most think. But.. I'd still love to find a way to stop it all.

TruthWalleyes

The size of these veligers can be about .0039" or 100um. Water requires a .003" hole or crevice to travel through based on my experience in diecasting - if your boat leaks; you do the math. wink

lakevet

Sand lake drains into Bigfork river which drains into Rainy river which drains into Lake of the Woods which drains into Lake Winnipeg. Much more than one lake involved with this one.

lakevet

Yooperguy

Well considering they originate from the Black sea of Russia there is only one cause. When will they start holding the shipping industry accountable. Time to start doing something with these bilges, almost all of the AIS comes from them.