• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck boat paint - need opinions.

Hey guys.

Last year I bought a 10' jon boat that needed a ton of work. I spent a ton of time getting the boat ready for hunting season; and feel as though the work was done well and it paid off.

The steps I took were;

-Sand down to the aluminum.

-Clean, clean, and then cleaned again.

-2 coats of primer.

-Base coat of paint.

-Quality patterning.

Given how well the boat turned out I have a buddy who wants me to help him with his boat, and I am thinking of painting my 14' fishing boat for some bigger water hunting this fall.

As a result I need to scale up my operation. Last year I spent over $150 buying individual cans of spray paint. I am thinking that it might be worth investing in a paint sprayer if I am going to work on 2-3 boats this summer.

So, the 2 questions for you guys.

- What is the best paint sprayer for painting duck boats?

- What is the best paint to use on a duck boat?

We have done several using the oil based gallon cans we used to be able to get at Gander or Cabelas, it wasn't Herters, but all the stores used to carry it. Now I think it is the same stuff/brand as the cans, but make sure it is oil based. Also, you can get any decent tan/grass/olive at big box stores as long as oil. The Latex just won't last.

We used a air sprayer hooked to my compressor, two different models, just cheapies basically, but I like the kind that the tank sits on TOP of the sprayer so gravity is your friend. But the other one worked fine too.

Key is getting the pressure in the tank and also on the sprayer right, and you will need to thin down the paint a bit. Takes a bit of messing with it, but it turned out great on our duck boat (all marsh grass color) and my pontoon (painted just the side sheets blue; drilled rivets out so only doing flat pieces, no taping, then riveted back on when dry).

I am not a painter, but used techniques I saw on American Hot Rod and Bike building shows, and the finished turned out AWESOME! Has been holding up for many years now, at least 7 on pontoon and about the same on the boat, minus dock rash, etc.

We did one coat primer, two coats paint, and did then just heavy enough to not see anything under them.

Come to think of it, we did three duck boats, but only two of them still, and the one we did NOT use primer on is a bit flaky - we just did a quick coat to cover stuff up.

Good luck!

edit - I know I posted this before, but here is our rebuild on duck boat:

"Martha" duck boat rebuild/painting job

Here is my pontoon job, not up close pics of paint, but a couple you can see it okay.

Pontoon paint job / rehab

A couple years ago, I painted my 16' Alumacraft camo khaki. I picked up the paint from L and M and has held up very well (Hunter Specialties I think). Any who, I sanded down the entire boat and used a couple different size rollers and it turned out great. This year i plan on re-doing my 16' Alumacraft jon boat and painting it the same way.

I used Parker's paint from cabelas, works awesome, i just prepped it not as good as yours, and rolled it on really easy!

A Buddy of mine did Hus fiberglass boat last fall with parkers and it stuck very well. Lots of prep work helped I think. A while back my dad redid a jeep with parkers paint and the prep work also worked well. We used a Wagner power sprayer and sprayed it thick and used stencils and rattle cans for shadows looked awesome for quite a few years.

Being in the painting industry,I am going to say that oil base is Allways best for good results.If you end up painting those other boats.Use oil base primer too.Remember in anything your doing the foundation of something must be done right.oil primer then oil paint.The EPA has mandated that oil base products will come to an end for environmental reasons.Most oil base has been taken off the shelves to the consumer already.If these spray systems you guys are talking about are oil based then I would get enough for your other projects too. LoL I could just be a paranoid painting guy too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.