• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shore fishing spots

Looking for spots to fish from shore for walleyes, northerns, crappies, ect. I live in SE MN in Goodhue county looking for somewhere to head on a day off not to far away. Just getting really in to fishing so any tips on what to use when shore fishing would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not from that area, so I can't really offer anything specific. What I can tell you, though, is that google maps, satellite, and the dnr lakefinder are your best tools. River fishing near dams and inlets has provided some of the best shore fishing spots for me over the years. Dams are a particularly rich hot spot for walleyes and other predatory fish.

gonna be hard pressed for anyone to give out there spots but like said above Google is an amazing tool to find spots help scout spots before you get there

Any of the accesses on the vermillion river offer some shore fishing. You can catch just about anything, but most of the fish are sheephead and bowfin. But I've caught enough white bass, crappies, and catfish to make it worth while.

Thanks for the help not looking to steal any spots just trying to kill sometime. Any tips for bait? Use bobber or cast and retrieve

Typically the current is slow enough that you can use a bobber and minnows, but you'll still have reel and recast a lot. I just use a simple 3 way rig and crawlers. I use split shots because there are ALOT of snags in the vermillion...it's better to lose sinkers then have to re tie a rig all the time. To try to minimize the number of sheephead, you can swap the crawlers for fatheads. At the very least, they're not as likely to swallow minnows.

Saw guys fishing the Cannon right by the golf course where it goes under 52.

Zumbro has smallies and other stuff.

Tons of spots down there. You can take a trip down to the Byllesby Dam. Bell Creek isnt too far. Lots of little streams around that area with nice trout.

Thanks for the help not looking to steal any spots just trying to kill sometime. Any tips for bait? Use bobber or cast and retrieve

In line spinners and Rapalas are a must for any shore fisherman. Usually the smaller sizes will be better in the streams. Original Raps are a good choice but X Raps can be casted further. You'll usually want shallow running baits but a couple mid range divers aren't bad to have handy if you can access a deeper hole. If you go for trout bring Panther Martins.

Dumb question but what's the difference between in line spinners and a spinner rig? Is it just one has a leader and the other is directly tied to your line? New to this fancy stuff. Thanks for all the tips greatly appreciated

Inline spinner is generally a lure on its own... Google "mepps inline spinner" I'm sure that should give you a visual. Spinner "rigs" are generally live bait rigs with a spinner preceding the bait.

I hit Phalen today from my kayak....that whole lake is ready for shore fishing and has all species. However.....its full of algae. You'd really have to pick your spots and Id say its a bobber lake. Casting could be hit or miss and be really frustrating in that you would be reeling in [PoorWordUsage] tons of algae like I did today.

If I were to do it, Id rig up a slip bobber, a fat head, and just enough weight to make that little guy sink but not to the bottom. Lots of cabbage down there too.