• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rigging a spring bobber

DickUrban

Question

What is the right way to rig a spring bobber? Should it stick out beyond the rod tip? The spring bobbers I bought are a very thin wire loop.

6 answers to this question

There are two schools of thought on that.

One is to keep the spring elevated above the end guide and between the previous guide, forming a raised arch in the line. When you get a bite the spring tip pulls toward the rod tip.
IT342_CCDRW_back-upICEIps24-2_web.jpg
The second is to extend it past to allow for a quivering action. This rigging requires more tuning and many consider it a bit more sensitive.
IT351_CDot_SB_web.jpg

Either work, it is mostly a preference thing.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Thanks Ed. I guess I still have a question. The eyelets on my rods are on the bottom of the rod. Does that make a difference? Among my ambitions is a trip to the Red and have you show me how to catch "sumo kitties".

[This message has been edited by DickUrban (edited 12-22-2003).]

I would attach to the end and after feeding the line through your last eyelet then go through the spring bobber. I have tried both ways and running it between can cause problems with line being tangled when the bobber and the last eyelet come to close to each other. It doesn't matter that you're using a spinning rod, just tape the spring to the top of the rod.

No concerns, it will work the same inverted. Just watch the tip of the spring for it to rise or fall.

I like to balance the weight on the spring indicator to it has a bit of tension on it all the time. That way, if it rises or dips, you see it. Them sneaky light bitters often go either way.

With practice you will see the sucking in of the bait just as easily as a firm grab. If you see something suspicious, set the hook, don't wait.

I watched a group from Iowa perch rangers fish Flu-Flu scented plastics on a 1/32 oz jig with the spring system. They caught perch steady all darn day, while everyone around caught ZIP. I quickly studied their ways and adapted my ways pretty darn quickly. It payed of big for me the next day out. We limited out on sumo perch in 2 hours.

I plan to use the same system soon with Bio-Bait ice bits on a 1/32 oz Rat Finkie/Flossie. I expect it will be deadly on wary sumo perch in fresh water shrimp rich lake systems.

wink.gif

You bet, drop me an e-mail and we can sure set you up with a Sumo Kitty trip to fit your needs. I am now booking 2004 so early is best to lock in the dates you may need.

I don't think spring bobbers will be needed on them though. Unless you make the bobber spring out of a car spring, then they might hold up.

grin.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 12-22-2003).]

Thanks guys. I sure appreciate your help. I live in central Iowa and make 2 trips each winter to Big Winni. Our ice locally gives us only few opportunities close to home.

To make the spring bobber removable, use heat shrink tubing. Straighten out the little hook on the end of the spring, take the tip guide off, slip the spring bobber thru the tubing and heat it up on the rod then re-install the tip guide now you can add or remove the spring bobber for transport so it dosen't get tweeked or for light biter conditions. Now if that sleeve wants to spin aroung the rod tip, secure it on there with just a touch of sho-goo or goop.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.