• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So how's it looking?

Bar harbor docks and Zorbaz docks are free of ice, saw a few folks out on the BH docks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TBW

• JP Z

• maddowg1192000

• CaptainMusky

Turkey bass and all the small lakes to Crosslake were open this morning. Going to drive by mission on the way home tonight

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm on my way tomorrow morning. I hope I get a chance to meet you sometime.

If you see a red 16' Lund with a gray 40 HP Mariner on back out on the water, chances are it could be me!

I would say most if not all channels, and smaller lakes should be open by Saturday afternoon. High winds are forecasted for Saturday, that should move any "loose" ice and clear even more lakes for Sunday fishing. My thoughts are to come on up if you're from the cities, they're should be a lake to float your boat!!!!! grin

mr

Looks like Hartley lake is ice free. West Twin very black.

If that is North Long then that doesn't have much life left for the ice...if it isn't gone by tomorrow morning then it will be gone early saturday morning

dont think merrifield bay will be "free and clear" by saturday.....you guys got the wishful thinkin going on

not wishful thinking it is taking a first hand knowledge of watching lakes in my area go out alot faster than a "normal" year and then taking into consideration the weather that is predicted and that ice is all but history. Rain and wind with temps over 50 in MAY ice doesn't stand a chance especially when it looks like it does in the picture above but only time will tell....

Hey ozzie...I live up there too.....scouting lakes every day. Don't think its going to happen on merrifield bay till Monday. Thats my prediction. just sayin...

I hate fishing Opies- I lose too many crab pots- costs too much money!

I will update again tomorrow if I get up that way. I plan to go to the dnr station in the morning so we will see

Up here now... Lots of ice! I got my boat thru the channel and onto the lift in the channel. No shiners to be had. I'll take a drive tomorrow and have a look at the lakes.

I swung over to Merrifield Bay on N. Long last night

Don't think it will be open till next week.

full-1410-32964-photo.jpg

Doh! didn't see you posted that Cory my bad......well yeah, 30 minutes from when you posted it still has ice smile

Any news on the pine river stripping station? Rumor they may shut the river down if the spawn is on. Upper whitefish pretty much still locked up. Some small bays open but main lake still iced up.

Moses, I don't know how to post pics, but I can email you some pics from Wednesday of WFC if you want.

Just looked at Cross and she is still iced up. Open at the channels but still could'nt take a boat from the bait box to the warf.

I'm guessing Whitefish will be at least half open by morning and mostly open by Saturday afternoon. So from 90% ice covered on Friday to 90% ice free on Saturday. Most of the lakes in the area will probably do the same.

I didn't think things could get much worse until I looked out the window this morning and saw snow on the ground.....and bears had come and chewed up my bird feeders. Might still head out and try my luck somewhere this afternoon.

Does anyone have recent photos of Gull Lake?

we have 2 groups heading up next weekend and are hopeful that Gull will be ice free.

Otherwise, plan B.

I just took some this afternoon from Grandview Lodge. PM me and I'll send them to you. (Can we send messages here?)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.