• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WIld vs. Hawks

toughguy

I hate this match-up. Sorry to say it but I'm thinking it will be Hawks in 5. Backstrom just hasn't looked sharp lately and the injuries are piling up.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• Improvedarock

• schmitty3

• toughguy

Chicago Tribune's Chris kuc off of Russo's blog

Quote:
“When they play like they want to, they can score four or five goals a night and keep it out of their net with maybe one of the best defensemen in the league [in Suter]. It’s a dangerous team. You definitely have to be careful with them. They’re a team that I’ve watched throughout the year and it seems like one night they look like the best team in the NHL and the next night they look like they don’t even want to be out there.”

Hawks is 5

Even with my prediction I'm pumped to get the games started. Playoff hockey is the most stressful and exciting game to watch in sports IMO.

Hopefully the Wild will be ready. I love playoff hockey...I really hope we can keep the games close and pull out a couple of wins. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Go WILD!!

Hawks in 6. I figure one game Backstrom stands on his head. And one game we put it together offensively.

And I would be okay with a competitive series like that. Hard to expect more when we line up against the best team in the league.

Last time a local team went to the cup finals (1991) they beat #1 seed Chicago in 6 games. It's unlikely but it can happen and that's why we watch right?

im just happy to have a team to root for in the post season. win or lose i think they had a good season. hopefully next year we can get a better match up first round

In other news the Wild also called up Scandella and he might even be paired with Spurgeon the first game. Normally calling up a guy who spent all year in the AHL for your first playoff game is bad but when you look at the rest of our D I don't think this hurts us one bit.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668246&navid=DL|MIN|home

Hiya -

Nice to see some playoff hockey eh?

I will say again what I've said since the day the lockout ended...this season is a learning experience for the Wild.

I heard a really interesting interview with Denis Potvin this morning, and he really went into detail about just how valuable playoff experience, and specifically playing against a really good team can be for developing a winning team. He said the playoff series' the Islanders had against the Canadiens, even though they got thumped, were what made the Isles the team they eventually became - with 4 Cups to show for it.

We're a young team without much playoff experience - even guys who've been here a while like Clutterbuck have never made the post season - and getting guys like Coyle, Zucker, and basically their entire D corps aside from Suter some experience will do them a world of good in the long run. Look at it that way, and it might be great playing a powerhouse like the Hawks even if it's not pretty in the short term. The Habs were a dynasty when the Isles played them.

Scandella - I like it. Part of why he hadn't been up here earlier was he was hurt off and on most of the season (groin and wrist injuries) but he's healthy and apparently was very good with Houston in the end of their regular season and start of the playoffs. He's big, mobile, and has a little bit of an edge. I'd take him over Falk.

Should be a fun series either way, but I'm still saying Hawks in 5.

Great point RK, even if we get smoked this will be a valuable experience for future teams.

Not sure why but I kind of have a feeling the Wild might steal one tonight, hope I am right. If we want to at least make this series interesting we need to take a game in Chicago today or Friday.

I have this feeling that the Wild's season is going to come to an end just in time for fishing season to begine.

I'm with you especially playoff experience in hockey, guys do bust their butt, it is the sport where it's all to obvious if someone has checked out on the team or whatever, they will play hard and learn a ton and hopefully our goal looks about 2by3 feet to the hawks, then Kane gets a groin pull and Seabrook eats some bad seafood and this little o series just tightened up a bit. Glad we scratched our way in, now to play a good game tonight, PS. Chicago has in my opinion the best National Anthem singer in the world, enjoy that tonight and if you can't wait and have a good stereo/speakers....you tube Jim Cornelison and expect to be blown away, that guy lost some serious weight in the last couple years.

Backstrom out, but hey we got a 1-0 lead... for now. Backs had to be helped off the ice, sounds like he may be done for the yr.

Entertaining game thru two. Backstrom out for the year? Somebody has inside information..

Anyone else noticing how we can not win a timely face off. Every important draw is going to the Hawks.

Parise is as soft as the ice is getting on area lakes. Zucker is a game changer...

Incredible game but we really really needed to win that one. The Zucker off the crossbar shot in OT was oh so close. Love playoff hockey!

Man, that is so disappointing. Like you said Bear we needed that game. I can't stop thinking about that Zucker shot, 1 inch lower and it's in. What a game though, the Wild had a great game plan and executed it almost perfect. We aren't gonna beat the Hawks going up and down the ice.

Still so disappointing, I really wanted that game. Oh, and Harding is unreal.

Incredible game but we really really needed to win that one. The Zucker off the crossbar shot in OT was oh so close. Love playoff hockey!

This!

Man, what a game! The outcome sucks, but it was fun to watch.

How bought the 1st line playing man to man all night? Skol wild skol suter!

Missed a big chunk of the game tonight, but my buddy said the officiating was "incredibly onesided towards the Blackhawks." Can anyone tell me if that was true? I missed the 3rd period and most of OT.

I'm a big Zucker fan too. I was not happy when they sent him to Houston a few weeks back.