• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Season Hunters

DonBo

Ugh. I'm still excited about it, but certainly not what I expected for my turkey opener.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

going to kill me a turkey in the old mans backyard!

Awesome.

Last time my son and I hunted in the snow the two of us had 7 birds on the ground in two days. Plus with all the crappy weather lately the birds haven't been pushed out of the public lands yet.

Connors2ndBird.jpg

KS2inone.jpg

KSConnoronbailwith3rd-1.jpg

Went out today to set up a blind for a youth hunter. After trying to drive out to the SET UP place. We walked shoveled and rested in the blind. We saw many tracks in the snow so hopefully they are using the area on the 17th. On the walk out we heard a gobble, hard to say were it came from in all the snow and wind.I guess we will see on Wednesday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I bet I saw 50 plus turkeys today as I drove around in the snow and sleet looking for a few additional properties before our seasons. They are still out there moving around.

Good Luck to those hunting "A" season.

Just got done snow blowing a trail for the dog in the back yard for the dog. she was drigging her belly (terrier). Keeps her off the steps. B season here. still pumped though.

Up for the challenge in the snow.

I am still excited about the upcoming days/season.

Took the boy out our main property to scout for sign. At the old farmstead the tracks are numerous, I believe they may be roosting here, time to find a new place to park. Also found an area about 2 acres in size by the river that is absolutely pounded with tracks and wing drag marks, looks like a strutting zone. At the same time there is a lot of feces and feathers here, which leads me to believe they are roosting here also. Troubling though is ALL tracks lead to the river and cross.

If anyone wants to give a few hints on how to hunt these river birds it sure would be appreciated. I am unsure how close I can get to this strutting zone or the river crossing without walking virtually underneath them.

Can one walk this close in the dark? 1hour-1 1/2 before light?

Given the snow and lack of foliage I'd say 100 yards at the closest. Snow will likely be crunchy early morning.

Anyfish,

My go to spot is in the woods where I intercept the birds heading from the roosting area to where they like to go spread out.

If you have the opportunity you might want to try going out late in the day and set down and try to find out exactly where they are roosting.

If you can figure that out you could set up further down the travel corridor and hope to itercept them as they work their way along the river bottom.

Good luck.

I hope you can get the boy on a bird.

Thanks guys for quick replies.

Borch I was kind of thinking the same thing. Hopefully after tomarrow thay will want to walk west instead of east and across the river. I have a good set in mind that is between both potential roosting areas. I will see more come Wed., no need to bust them on day one!

Hugonian, I would love to set up on them by the river, but thier crossing in only 60 or so yards to the east. So a morning set will be difficult at best. I do however have an idea as to where they may be crossing back in the evening, this will be my day one evening set.

And yes, I will be roosting the birds tomarrow with any luck.

It was amazing that the trails/tracks we found are ALL one way streets. No tracks went both ways on any trail.

Thanks again guys. All ways trying to learn more.

Turkeys often move in loop patterns in their daily routines. They'll head off the roost in one direction and often approach back in the evening from the back or different direction than morning. Not always, but often. Your track findings confirm this. Use the track direction to figure out your morning and evening setups!

Well here's what we are looking at for anyone hunting down in the SE corner on the state! cry

Wednesday

Mostly cloudy with snow and rain in the morning, then overcast with thunderstorms and rain. High of 43F. Winds from the ENE at 10 to 15 mph shifting to the North in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80% .

Thursday

Overcast with snow and a chance of rain, then rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 43F. Winds from the NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 60% .

Friday

Overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers, then a chance of snow and a chance of rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 37F with a windchill as low as 19F. Breezy. Winds from the NW at 20 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

Saturday

Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast. High of 48F. Winds less than 5 mph. laugh Yippy! One day! frown

Sunday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. High of 55F. Winds from the SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

Don wish me some luck for the morning I will need it shocked

Got my fingers crossed, but you won't need any luck, I've seen the photos of your set-up. smile

Good luck 'sniper & to everyone holding A tags! Not ideal weather, but I've seen much worse!

It was a awesome morning. I just sat there with the buddy heater on low,didn't here the first gobble till 9:15.

TAGGED OUT shockedlaugh

Nice work archerysniper!

WTG Archerysniper!!!!

Buddy heater? Not sure if I should harrass you for being a sissy, or congradulate you for being sensible. crazygrin

Everytime I've held an A tag, I've tagged the first morning! Seems like if it's going to happens, it happens right away.

Quote:
Buddy heater? Not sure if I should harrass you for being a sissy, or congradulate you for being sensible.

Don't listen to Don - we had our heaters in the blind most of NE trip! I'd rather be a warm sissy than be tough & cold!

Congrats! laugh

Way to go AS. Was out calling today for 2 people who have not hunted before. After not hearing a gobble all morning 1 of them tryed a push pin call, Wham. A pair of jakes down. A couple more turkey hunters hooked, gotta Love A season. bluefull-367-32190-537264_626864077324316_21

Way to go AS!

Borch,if you were out in the parking lot at work you probably could have heard my shot wink

Borch,if you were out in the parking lot at work you probably could have heard my shot wink

Just E/NE of the lot? wink

I was actaully in Princeton about the time he went done. smile

Saw a bunch of birds this morning in Freeborn county before the rain started at 11. Was glad to finally see a few displaying, I hadn't seen many toms out and about previous...

Well my honey hole was still full of turkeys !! I have hunted 1 st season for 5 years in a row , and still love first season ! Weather can suck on any season . We filled out yesterday . I let my buddy shoot first and he arrowed a nice 10 inch bearded tom by 8 am. We had birds roasted behind the blind 75-100 yards . They gobbled and strut but would not move from the hens . Then they saw our decoys and 2 toms came in , 21 yard shot ..

In the afternoon we returned to the same spot but moved the blind 50 yards closer to the roast. By 330 I arrowed my double bearded Tom , he had a 8 .5 and a 7.5 inch beards and came in at 21 lbs..

my friends bird only weighed 17 lbs and was a older bird , the snow and extra long winter must be hard on some of them , all the birds I have weighted in my area have been 21 to 22.5 lbs ..

find the roast and food and it should be easy