• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new ovs 560 vs.ovs 500

Corey Bechtold

Question

I was waiting for the new OVS 560 to be released so I could get my hands on one. I was told they would be worth the wait and ready in November, then December, then late December, now I'm told that they won't be out until March! Is it really worth the wait? Won't the gears turning on the camera under the water scare fish? Are more moving parts going to be an issue? AAARGH! "OH what a world, what world" (Witch from The Wizard of OZ)

Who told you it wouldn't be out until March? At the show in Saint Paul the folks at the MarCum booth told me it would be out in a couple weeks.

What is the source of that rumor?

It's a real long story. I guess if I want the truth I should go to Mar-cum. The delay was told to me by a OVS rep who also sells Otter houses and more. Really I wan't to know if the new 560 is going to be better (hands down?) than the 500? Should I hold my breath?

Thanks. I emailed MarCum and asked for the truth. I don't know if it will be better, but I hope so. I don't know how anyone can tell as it hasn't been released yet. Either it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, it breaks in 5 seconds, or something in between. How would anyone know? You can't tell from marketing pamphlets or talks with reps/dealers.

I sure hope it is great, because I bought one.

Anybody see how the new OVS560 works? Or why it may be better than the OVS 500?

The 560 is COMPLETELY different than the 500.

The 560 can rotate 360 degrees within the camera housing itself, no more arms or tripods to loose or break.

The lighting system is also positioned above the can to cut way down on reflection from particles in the water.

------------------
>"////=<
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. # 841
www.marcumtech.com

I hadn't heard of the delay with the VS 560. I'd definitely wait for the 560 though if you can, this will create the new standard in underwater cameras. Rotating the camera by the cable doesn't work real well if you have ever tried it - this will be a panning camera head and I am confident this will become standard with many of the camera lines. Directional compass, wireless remote, etc. This one will be worth waiting on.

http://www.marcumcustomerservice.com/products/ovs/vs560.aspx

Thanks again for the info. It's nice to hear different angles from different anglers. Keep the suggestions coming.

The question would be, of course, how long will the wait be? I emailed MarCum the morning this thread started and have not heard back from them.

I was told 1-2 weeks at the Saint Paul show and I hope they hold to that.

I was watching Midwest Outdoors yesterday and saw a little bit about the Marcum LX-3 and they showed the OVS 500. They played with them both a bit. Then they showed the OVS 560 at the end of the segment. Im still confused. They demo the OVS 500 but show the 560 at the end? It also looked like the 560's lights glow 360 degrees? ???

On the 18th I was told "I believe the units will be available in about 10 days to two
weeks." This is fairly consistant with what I was told at the show, and I trust they are doing everything they can.

Having been involved in product launches myself, I understand the last minute difficulty such things can have and I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Last I heard was that they were shooting for mid January. Not sure how long it will take to get out to the stores, etc.

Nice to see that I'm not alone on this ovs560. I too have been patiently waiting for the camera that was suppose to be at my doorstep before xmas .That's what Kevin from reedssports said anyways at the ice show on dec.5th when I bought it. I just hope it is what we have all been anticipating ....

I emailed them last week it would sure be nice if they could take two minutes to repley.

Hey Paul, I saw on another thread that you are a Marcum man. I would like to compare the LX-3 to my Fl-18 sometime. This Friday I tried to fish with 3 vexlars in the same fishhouse and had nothing but interference problems until one unit was shut off. I might move the FL-18 to the boat and buy the LX-3 for ice. Not a huge deal, just wondering.

straydog,
Who did you email? I've found their customer service to be quite helpful. It is a very busy time for them, especially with this hot new product release. Please be patient, they will be well worth waiting for. Don't quote me on this time frame, but I was told they are in production on these units and they should be available mid January time frame.

Word is from Reedssports that the 0vs 560 will be available to them on the first week of January , then sent out U.P.S....ASAP.

How will the new ovs560 lighting system work after dark? What makes it better?

I am waiting too.Not too patietnly though! smile.gif
The lights sit above the cameras lense and they are using a differnt spectrum that will enable you too see better in the dark and through the blooms at night.Kind of like having fog lights.

The lights I've heard are absolutely awesome on this unit. I have the top of the line Aqua-vu multi-color unit now and have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much useless in the dark. The problem is that the light reflects off of every particle in the water, so you see a lot of flotating particles and not much else.

The OVS-560 is unique in that the lights are set above the camera. Therefore, you don't see the light reflecting off the particles. I think you'll see Aqua-vu and others going this direction in the future as well. I've heard the lights on the 560 are simply amazing. I can't wait to try it out!

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 01-03-2004).]

Huck Finn--

Any news on Reeds shipping the units? It's the first full week of January and I'm getting anxious. Where did you hear this?