• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Digital Cameras

Redlantern

Question

Does anyone know anything about digital cameras? I'm wondering how they perform in cold weather. Does the lcd have to be kept above freezing? How long do batteries last while in below zero temperatures? Thanks.

------------------
Erik

10 answers to this question

Put your camera in a ziplock bag and keep it in an inside jacket pocket. If you battery gets cold: 1) just pull the batteries out, hold them in a clenched fist and blow warm air on them for a few minutes or 2) put an instant heat pack/hand warmer on them for a bit. Either way, if they are relatively full batteries, they will pick right back up.

Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll pass on the camera. I camp in the winter and want a camera I don't have to fuss with. Wasn't sure about the digitals, so I figured I'd see what some of you thought.

------------------
Erik

I have a canon S30 and ride snowmobile. I keep it in the inside pocket of my coat and have never had a problem with it working. I guess enough warmth. I don't even bother with film cameras anymore. My camera is now 2 years old.

Like any camera, the cold sucks the life out of batteries. Most digitals will run without running the LCD, which you may prefer to promote longer battery life.

If you're looking at buying, get as much as you can afford and nothing less than 2.0 megapixels. Your settings and the size of your memory card will determine the number of photos you can take and the end size of the photo.

If you only want photos for e-mail, that's not as critical as if you were to have prints made. If you just want a camera for winter camping, look at the disposables. They're reliable and easy to use. I've used the underwater models several times with good results.

I'd advise not to keep the camera in a zip bag. You can get condensation and that'll ruin your camera in a hurry. If you use the zip bag, wrap it with a washcloth and throw in some desicant packs to keep your camera safe from moisture.

hammer,

The reason you want the higher mega pixels maily cuz as you elarge a picture be less grainy or fuzzy . The higer mega pixel camera's pictures will be much more clear and crisp. It all boils down to dots per inch. The PCs and the printer will still create a better picture in that effect.

Another thing you need to be aware of is the difference between an optical and a digital zoom. Optical is where the lense does the zooming and the digital is just like if you were to crop the senter of the picture then elarge it. Digital zoom will cause degradation of the picture and make it grainy.

We send most of our picture to Walmart to be developed, you can send them over the internet and pick them up a couple of days later. The only time I print any pictures, is if it something that I want to have 8X10 or something like that.

Most digital cameras are the same and not much different than good point-and-shoot 35mm cameras. It's the bells and whistles that differentiate.

How much do you want to spend? Are you getting digital to replace film? What's your primary function going to be?

As a graphic designer, high resolution photos are important. I have stretched a 5 x 7 digital image to fill an 8 1/2 x 11 hole for a full color magazine covers. Most would not be able to tell the difference between it and an expensive high res scan. I can manipulate the images in Photoshop. Cheaper image-editing programs are available.

It's pretty easy to take your memory card to a photo shop and have the images printed. I do that and the cost is the same as an enlargement from a negative.

Today I'd look at 4.0 megapixel or higher, multiple-exposure control and ability to take still photos and digital movies, a hot shoe for external flash, ability to utilize high-capacity memory cards (You can shoot over 1,300 images of internet quality or 100 high res images with a 128MB card) and a compatible printer for quick printing.

New cameras also come with an easy-to-use computer interface although I prefer a reader that allows me to utilize different memory cards, open images with a click through Quicktime or drag the images to folders on my computer.

The Camera Trader in St. Cloud carries Canon and Olympus. They've been able to answer all my questions.

So your saying that I should look for something in the 4 plus megapixels, high optical zoom, have still shot capability, movie making capability, and have a memory card of 64-128?
This all makes good sense to me,as I'm useful with Photoshop, I movie, ect. Fun stuff! Actually I movie is addicting.

Anyway, what suggestions do you have for a good manufacturer? I've use a Canon Power Shot 60A and liked it. What about Olympus, Sony, ect??

Thanks

Yes to your first question. The 4+ may even take the 256mb card.

The A60 is very comparable to the G2 that I have. Both are very versatile and should work for most any needs.

I also have two older Olympus cameras that I like despite their limitations. The newer of the two has a better zoom and is easier to use for movies. It is also better in limited light situations. I may be looking at the G5 in the spring.

If I had unlimited resources and more of a need, I'd look at a high-end Nikon that would be compatible with my Nikkor SLR lenses.

I falls,

Looking into buying a digital.
What are some of the things I should be looking into. I'm hearing lots of different things....but could some of you offer your perspective. Likely used for pictures to be printed, so 3.0 or more mega pixel is important. But I have also heard that computers/printers can't do anything more than 3.0 right now. Info please??