• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikes 2013 Draft

FutbolGuru

I would be shocked if they pick up a QB in the first 3 rounds. I just don't see it happening.

It's interesting looking at all the mock drafts this year. I can't remember a recent draft where there isn't that much of a difference between picks from say, 13 to early rd 2. Thats a good thing when you have 2 late 1st round picks!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckSutherland

• LMITOUT

• FISHINGURU

• Fish Head

Here is what I think will happen this week.

Round 1.

We are gonna take Teo if he is there at #23. Chicago may decide to take him in front of us though. If he is gone we take either Sheldon Richardson (he will be gone) or Sylvester Williams. At #25 I think we take our DT if we get Teo at #23. If we don’t get Teo we are gonna trade the second pick for an EARLY second round and some additional picks. One of these teams is gonna reach for a QB and that means we are really attractive with two 1st round picks. With our early second round pick we take our LB.

With our second round pick we are gonna take a WR. Austin, Patterson, Allen should all be gone. That leaves Hopkins, Hunter, and Woods to pick from. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hopkins. If he is there guy and isnt gonna make it to #45 I can see us moving up to get him.

-I think we will be active with trades

-There is not a lot difference from 10-50 (talent)

-Several teams will reach for a QB late 1st round or in the 2nd round.

-I hope we don’t trade UP in the first round

-I hope we do bundle some of our later picks to get into round 2 or 3 again.

-I sure hope we get a new punter

-Hoping for a receiving threat at WR. Someone who can pick up blitz too.

-MN home of the honeybadger

I sincerely hope you are way wrong. No way I want Te'o. We can take a LB in the second round, plenty to choose from. We came out of the season needing WRs we are entering the draft still in need of a WR, not a small, shifty fast one. We need a tall, speedy guy with hands. We need longevity out of AP and that's only going to happen with a passing attack. Then address Ponders ability. DT can be out next pick.

-I don't know of any WRs pick up the blitz.

Opps, I meant a RB that can catch the ball and pick up the blitz. Not a WR.

And I think based on what you said Hopkins would be your WR.

Not really interested in Hopkins. I'd like to see either of the vols WRs in purple, preferably Patterson. Talk is he may slip in the draft because of his "rawness." Hopefully he can fall to us or he'll slip far enought down and we don't have to give much up bug I don't think Spielman is that savy to pull a move like that. He'd rather give up higher pick for more further down the draft.

I really dont like moving down unless we get meaningful picks....meaning additional 2nd or 3rd rounders. As I have stated, there just isnt quality available in the late rounds (look at that list that was provided, all they way back into the 90s and we had 3 quality players in Sullivan, Birk, and Johnson). So 23 years times 3 5th-7th rounders per draft is roughly 70 picks and 3 have been great picks. You have just as many undrafted guys make it big I think.

So regarding the theory of "best player available". I dont subscribe to that for the most part because it isnt so simplistic. Maybe Player A is rated 89 on a 1-100 scale and the next best guy is player B and an 88. But A is a RB or a left tackle....no way do you pick that guy. But on the other hand, if Player C is a 89 and the next guy is D at 71 and Player C happens to be a DE....then for sure you pull the trigger. I tend to think that a team has a group of blue chippers and if they can get one of those guys and it isnt a position of need they still go for it. But most times, you pick the best guy at one of your (many) positions of need.

So regarding the theory of "best player available". I dont subscribe to that for the most part because it isnt so simplistic. Maybe Player A is rated 89 on a 1-100 scale and the next best guy is player B and an 88. But A is a RB or a left tackle....no way do you pick that guy. But on the other hand, if Player C is a 89 and the next guy is D at 71 and Player C happens to be a DE....then for sure you pull the trigger. I tend to think that a team has a group of blue chippers and if they can get one of those guys and it isnt a position of need they still go for it. But most times, you pick the best guy at one of your (many) positions of need.

Obviously in that scenario when we are talking about a player who grades out at 89 vs. a player that grades out at 88, they are almost identical. In my opinion, when we talk about best player available, we are usually talking about a larger separation that that. When we talk about best player available, it means you can’t go into the draft with a mindset that we are going to pick up a ___ (name your position). Keep in mind, the Vikings didn't see WR as a need in '98 when they drafted Moss. That was a perfect example of best player available. I don't think our philosophies are actually that far apart.

Nope, sounds like we agree. But some out there really subscribe to purely best available player. I think it is complex dance to a lot of different songs. I bet that there are many picks where there is dissension in the draft room of each and every team. and I bet that gets interesting at times.....with all the strong personalities in the war room. Can you see variants of this conversation playing over and over again?

"Remember when I wanted you to pick BillyBob and nooooo, you had to pick ralph? Well BillyBob has been to 8 Pro Bowls and Ralphy didnt make it as long as Demetrius Underwood!"

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I bet the Vikes trade down with one of our 1st round picks.

They won't pick Teo.

I think we need to draft Williams so we can keep the Williams tradition going on the line lol.

I'd like for us to draft Hunter, I don't see him making it into the 2nd round though, if he does not very far. We'd probably have to take him at #25 or move up in the 2nd.

Glad you guys are finally getting on board with me. Yes I could see us drafting Williams and keeping the, "Williams Wall," going. I do think there is better than 50% that we trade down EARLY second with one of our picks so we get both our guys and accumulate more ammo. Like I said there are a couple teams that are gonna overpay for a QB.

As far as MLB. THere are 3 teams with EXTREME need for MLB. Chicago, MN, Balt. Urlacher, Our stud, and Ray Lewis are gone. That leaves Teo, Minter and Aurther Brown as top prospects.

I think Speilman has a crush on ND guys personally. Teo would do well in our lockeroom. And he is a buzz player like Tebow. And we have never shyed away from a pick that had issues either character or injury (Moss, Peterson, Harvin).

Our first two picks need to be DT and MLB no matter how we get there. WR 2 and 3 round.

I think there is a chance Speilman takes a fly on a QB early for "depth" and take a small gamble to replace flounder.

Arthur Brown is the perfect fit for our tampa 2 defense. I really want to see us pick that guy up, he is gonna be a stud.

Anyone else really excited for tonight??? This year I really am getting into the anticipation for the draft.

See I am the oposite on this years draft. Weak draft/ Lots of average players but not real killers at any position all the way through. you might not see a rb, qb or wr in the top 15 picks just not there this year. Lacey might be the only rb in the first round and the qb it would be a stretch to say any of them would be a starter no matter where they go.The honey badger and taeo if either one lands here I might have to start wearing the green and gold

Glad you guys are finally getting on board with me. Yes I could see us drafting Williams and keeping the, "Williams Wall," going. I do think there is better than 50% that we trade down EARLY second with one of our picks so we get both our guys and accumulate more ammo. Like I said there are a couple teams that are gonna overpay for a QB.

Our first two picks need to be DT and MLB no matter how we get there. WR 2 and 3 round.

I hope the Vikings don't take a single MLB in this draft. I just don't think any of them are good enough. Teo is too slow to cover so they'd be just as well off moving Henderson to the middle and drafting a WLB this year. Then draft a MLB next year.

I'm hoping they go CB and DT (in that order) with the first two picks.

Honey Badger in the 2nd? Percy had those issues to.

Honey Badger is a top 10 talent, but I think there is too much risk for a 2nd round pick. Did you hear the latest? He was hosting a party at a night club to celebrate is being drafted in the first round. After he caught flack for this, he cancelled the party. This kid is on the bubble because of his behavior...everyone is watching him... He's expected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round, and he advertises a party at a night club for being a 1st round draft pick.

This kid just isn't too bright. What a shame.

hes a bucket full of problems and when he starts rolling in NFL money im sure weed will be the least of his drug problems

Not happy. How can this guy NOT see we need offense? Saw that stat on the bottom, 33 rushes over 20 yards and 22 passes over 20 yards. Come on. At least there's only 1 WR off the board.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Don't worry, There is a lot of depth in the draft at the receiver position and LB position yet.

I think it was a good move to get their DT and CB in the 1st. The way this team is made up, a stellar defense will go a long ways.

Perfect picks with the first two. So glad they didn't take Teo. Suld be able to find WR help in round 2-4.

You can get value at WR later in the draft. I'm glad they went defense. I know its a passing league but if you can run the ball and play defense you still have a shot.