• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 4 check-in.

Cheetah

HSO Team 4

Paintbrush

Cooter

ANYFISH2

cheetah

2044mustang

Abndoc Jr - Y

Hello everyone! I didn't see any other threads started for our team, so figured I should get the ball rolling. Please reply and let us all know what your hunting plans are for this spring.

I am going to to SD at the end of April to hunt in the Black Hills again. Then in mid May I am going to hunt some new spots in MN with a friend who has seen birds there while deer hunting in the fall.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cheetah

• ANYFISH2

• 2044Mustang

• Abndoc

Hello team 4. This is my first year joining you all for turkey bragging rights. Last year I finally killed my first bird, a jake, I think I may have finally learned the land I hunt. So now I am out of excuses and can except that these birds are just smarter than me.

I will be hunting the A season in 507, near Staples/Motley. I sure hope to contribute.

Good luck to all in the up coming seasons.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I saw a pile of birds near Leader a couple weeks ago. Almost got one with my truck.

Good Luck!

Hi Guys. I'll kick off my turkey hunting this year down in NE.Missouri on April 18. I have MN. 505C season here, and after that I'll head over to the prairies of SD in early May. I'm so ready to get after them!

Paintbrush, when I was young my dad used to take me and my brothers down to the Kirksville area to hunt turkeys. Well, we just played at the car and at camp while he hunted. Back then lots of my uncles and dad's friends hunted down there too. Not anymore though. I have one uncle who still likes to make the trip, but bird numbers have been very low the last few years. Have you heard any good news about a population rebound in the region? I saw some talk on another forum that sounded like they were coming back a bit in that area.

Abndoc jr aka Cole. I turn 10 tomorrow and get to hunt for the first time this weekend in wisconsin. I got a new mossberg 20 gauge for my birthday and have been practicing daily. My dad and I have it all dialed in. I can't wait for this weekend!!

I'll be hunting the 503C season. New area for me, hoping to get my first bird with my bow. good luck to everyone!

That's awesome Cole! You might need some snow camo this year for that early of a hunt. wink

Took Cole out last night to put some birds to bed. Found a new chunk of land with a ton of birds. Cole went up and knocked on the door. Talked with the home owner for 5 mins. Stood behind him letting make his sales pitch. Yep He aquired himself his first set of private land to hunt. Whether we see or get a bird, I couldn't have been more proud. Talk about watching your children grow up before your eyes.

Took Cole out last night to put some birds to bed. Found a new chunk of land with a ton of birds. Cole went up and knocked on the door. Talked with the home owner for 5 mins. Stood behind him letting make his sales pitch. Yep He aquired himself his first set of private land to hunt. Whether we see or get a bird, I couldn't have been more proud. Talk about watching your children grow up before your eyes.

Go drop a monster this weekend Cole,Good luck.

Saw 10 birds yesterday. couldn't get anything within range. long day for my youngster. He definitely earned his stripes yesterday in that rain. todays a new day...heading out to his spot today.

Hi team! Sorry for the late check in.....I go in WI 4th season which is I think the first day of May. Planning on taking time off work for that - have a great area to hunt and wood say I'll get one but that would jinx me! Probably will head on down the week before and talk to the landowner and set a blind up - which I hate hunting out of but nice to have depending on the weather.

Good luck guys - be safe and have fun!

Anyone have any potential names for our team.

I am not all that creative but I'll trow a couple out there.

Roost Rustlers, Flydown Takedown.

Otherwise team 4 is fine.

Well I have a first day bird for the first time. Shot at 9:30. Not real big, in-field measurments are 9 1/2" beard, 3/4" spurs. Just now going to wieght it and do the paper work. I'll give the long winded story later to day.

Whoo-hoo team 4 is on the board!

great job Fish, way to get us on the board. Congrats, can't wait to hear the story!!

Borch i did not see a submission thread. I'll post pics here, feel free to move post to proper thread.

full-29934-32186-103_0159.jpg

full-29934-32187-103_0155.jpg

full-29934-32188-103_0157.jpg

full-29934-32189-103_0152.jpg

Well here the story of my 2013 hunt.

After last weeks scouting trip, asking a few questions on here, and listening to the voices in head , Tuesday I found what seemed to be the best spot to setup the blind on a oak ridge overlooking a native meadow and the roosting area. This spot seemed easiest to get to without spooking the roosted birds. It didn't feel ideal, but I figured I would learn more as the season went on, then adjust.

Day 1(and only day :D)

I woke up at 3:30am and made sure all things are in place, with the exception of my box call(hard to leave the confidence of the box at home)which I couldn't find, I was off to the woods by 4. After grabbing a bite to eat, I arrived at the property at 4:45 and headed into the woods slowly and as quitely (sounded like a moose walking on glass)as i could to my blind. I sat in wait for the skies lighten and the birds to talk. Talk they did from about 6 to 8 it was non-spot gobbles and all the hen talk you could imagine.

About 6:15 the flydown started and I was now covered to east with more turkeys than I had ever had at one time before. Frustratingly they move off to the north, struttting and gobbling all the way, but they never went very far, probably never more that 100-150yd away, but out of site. About 7 the unreceptive hens started to break off and work my way by 7:15 I have now had 12 hens walk by within 10 yards. Now, I am not sure on the time but a little later I got to see a breeding pair of turkeys, that is a first for me. The next hour and half or so was more of the same gobbling and clucking non-stop, but no birds in sight, but close.

At about 9 am I start to see birds, usually "couples", start to break off and head to the southeast, things become quiet. I start to think of moving to head these turkeys off, but I told myself day one was all about patience and stay put(yeah I may talk to myself when one can hear blush). About 9:15 I see lone tom break from the strutting area, this is my chance! I call, trying to mimic the hens I've been hearing, he responds by walking my general direction, stops, looks, see's nothing, and heads off the southeast. I get a little aggressive with the call and he then turns and work west along the meadow edge. I call again he stops looks, sees nothing, and continues on his way. I now think to myself I should have my decoys out, I didn't put them out in the dark in fear of bumping birds, than I had too many birds I could see to but them out later. I look at the decoy at my feet, say what-the-hey, I stick the stake in it and literally toss it out the blind window, somehow landing stake down, decoy up-right, about 2 feet from the blind. He is still working his way west, leading him directly infront of me about 70 yds away but into a clearing, as he enters this clearing I call aggressivly, he looks, and you could see the excitment overcome him. His head turned red(love seeing the color change) and he starts a trot up-hill towards me, well as straight as a excited turkey walks (100yds to cover 50). He spot shortly about 35 yds out on the trail, before I could get settled on his he being up hill and closer, out of the window of the blind. I kneel down against the side of the blind to see him, I on him now, but he has hung up about 25 yds out behind 2 scrub oaks. I can only see his beak and and body. He doesn't move, I then lean harder against the blind to give me a clear but tight shot at his neck, it works, I fire and see him tumble down the hill.

I get excited, open the blind door(double bull doors are kinda small) and proceed to trip and fall onto my face, snow is cold. i get over to him and see my biggest turkey to date:

25lb 4oz

9 5/8" beard

7/8" spurs

What a great hunt, to bad it over. Till next year.

full-29934-32191-103_0152.jpg

Huge bird for a tough cold winter,he had to be really heavy last fall. Congrat's