• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team #7 "GOBBLE KINGS" Official Site

hugonian1

Hey guys, we may need to change our team name to Arby's cause we are 5 for 5. grin

Got my Tom around 7:15 this morning.

I will get some pics and the story up later.

It was a great encounter.

He will not win any big bird contests but is a respectable 22lb 12oz with a 9.5" beard and 1 1/8" hooks.

I think he is probobly a 3 year old.

Man, turkey hunting can sure put a smile on your face. smile

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hugonian1

• Archerysniper

• 123fish

• DonBo

Awesome Congrat's and way to go. Should I change our name to TAGGED OUT now? shockedlaugh

Congrats hugo - that's a good bird! You guys are rolling!

Respectable indeed! That will work for sure. Congrats on a very nice bird hugonian. Looking forward to the story and pics.

Gobbler Kings look to be the team to beat. Congrats everyone!

Well I am finally getting a little time to get my bird submitted and do a quick write up about my hunt.

I had been seeing quite a few turkeys on my property but most were Jakes and Hens. I had let my buddy hunt it during the B season and he took a nice Tom.

I was hunting D season so there was a little time to let things settle down and the birds to keep distributing around the area.

On the Wednesday before my season opened I noticed a nice Tom running accross the property being chased by 6 Jakes. They went back and forth- Jakes chase Tom then Tom chases Jakes. I han never seen this before but it was obvious there was a "turf war" going on. I was hoping the Tom won out. smile

I had my blind set up in the woods in a draw between 2 field areas. This is usually a great travel corridor.

I put a single Dave Smith Jake decoy out thinking of the "turf war" I had seen the day before between the Tom and group of Jakes.

Here is a picture of the "setup".

full-13193-32991-setup.jpg

I was in the blind by 5:15 Thursday morning. It was a beautiful morning to be out. We did not get hit with the snow that others had gotten the night before so that was a relief.

There was quite a bit of gobbling to the west of my property at daybreak which is pretty normal as that is usually where the birds roost. Around 6:30 I noticed turkeys out in the field west of my property. They were a couple of hundred yards out and it was hard to see thru the brush but I could see several strutters and hens. I was pretty sure it was the group of Jakes that have been hanging around.

Shorly after, one of the hens broke off the group and came into the woods and milled around in the leaves. None of the others followed. I had been doing some hen calls with my box call but could not get any response. I did hear a couple of random gobbles back in the woods west of me but for the most part things had gone quiet.

Around 7:15 I noticed movement to the west and to my surprise it was a Tom fully fanned and running towards the Jake decoy. He got up to it, circled, and proceeded to pound it pretty good a few times, He was very aggressive. I had my Benelli Super Nova on him and was waiting for a good shot opportunity. He was not a happy bird and was moving around the deke.

Finally the opportunity came and I pulled the trigger. To my disdain he jumped to pounce on the deke right when I pulled the trigger. I hit him and he went down but got right back up. I couild not believe it. I have never had a turkey back on it's feet after the shot. I put the bead on him and pulled the trigger- nothing happened. Rat's, I am so used to shooting a semi- auto I had forgot to pump out the hull. The bird ran off into the thick brush. I was sick to my stomach. I knew I hit him but he ran off pretty fast. I got out of the blind and worked my way towards where he ran and saw a turkey high tailing it accross the field. I felt even sicker thinking he was gone. I thought I would work my way around the woodline in hopes he stopped once he cleared the field which was several hundred yards away. I took about 10 steps and to my surprise there he was in the brush. I had to finish him off but was very relieved.

Fortunately the bird I saw running accross the field was a different one.

All told my season only lasted a couple of hours. That makes it a little bittersweet. Turkey hunting is truely about the experience in my mind and has very little to do with filling the freezer although that is an added bonus.

This is my 4th or 5th year turkey hunting. I have learned most of what I know about it from this forum. The contest adds a lot of fun to the experience also. Thanks to those who share their knowlege and advice.

I am already thinking of next year. smile

full-13193-32992-napping.jpg

full-13193-32993-heroshot.jpg

Awesome bird and a great write up + you shot it on my birthday grin

I am having printer problems right now to get mine submitted. Maybe tomorrow I will go to the neighbors and get the form printed up.

I think once Archerysniper gets his bird entered we should be in good shape. Team 5 still has a Jake to enter. Walli's bird was sure a beast and put some pressure on us. Featherslayer has not entered his bird yet either.

The fat lady has not sang but I do see a rather large woman over in the wings warming up her voice. grin

Lets get those birds registered sniper and featherslayer. Possibly an all time record point total? Just curious.

in the words of dennis green.....

"you wanna crown 'em ... go ahead, crown their azz!" laugh

team 7 gonna be tough, if not impossible, to beat.

congrats on sucessful seasons for all the Gobble Kings

Walli, I am thinking you must have Archerysniper tied up somewhere so he can't register his bird. grin

We might have to send a search party out to help him out.

Ha Ha I'm still here,I just didn't want to blow the other teams out of the water yet grin

I am swamped at work and the only thing holding me back is the signed contest form. My printer is not cooperating right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a week left to get that bird entered Archery Sniper.

It may be time to blow the other teams out of the water. grin

We never did hear from featherslayer again after he shot his bird.

Time to make us the Gobble Kings. smile

I agree. Kind of looking forward to having that 2013 Turkey Contest winner signature like you guys have for 2010 and 2012.

Hey guys I'm still here, a little busy this spring getting my boat ready for my tourneys. I'm glad hugonian1 got his bird, and is this the first time a team ever had 5 birds down? I'm looking forward to next year already but its fishing time now. CONGRATS TEAM

Featherslayer, you should register your bird for the contest.

It looked like a good sized turkey in your picture even though the beard may have been a little shortened.

Featherslayer we need your submission by midnight to really seal the deal here grin

is this the first time a team ever had 5 birds down?

We only have 4 down until you officially enter your bird before mid night tonight.

Top 4 birds count towards the score if I understand it correctly so it more than likely would not make a difference.

The large lady is singing. grin

Congrats to my team, You guys got the right birds this year. Now enjoy the summer and have fun.

Congrats guys! You put a bunch of nice birds on the ground and have every right to be proud. WTG!

Congrats boys... Jack is pretty happy with the results being on the winning team, be a contributor, and being the youth winner. And trust me, since I showed him, I have heard about it only a dozen or so times... "what place did your team get? how come you didn't get a bird?" ....Ugh. laugh. Congratulations gobble kings.

Jack should be proud as should his papa.

He set the bar high early on. Congrats on being the youth winner.

We must have had the golden horseshoe as I think all 5 of us got our birds on the opening morning of our hunts.

This is the second year in a row for me being on the winning team which is a hoot. smile

The contest adds a lot of fun to the season.

Thanks to all those who contribute and set this up.

I agree hugonian. Jack and sniper got it going early and everyone else just fell in line. So congratulations to my fellow team mates and to everyone who had a fun season whether they bagged a bird or not. Thanks to borch for setting everything up also. The only thing left is to figure out how to add that championship signature at the end of my posts. smile

123 fish.

Just click on My Stuff at the top of the page.

Click on Edit Profile.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a Signature Box.

Type it in and hit submit.

Well that was easy. I like it. Makes it look like you know how to hunt turkeys when in reality it pays to have a bunch of turkey slayers for teammates.