• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Star Tribune article by Dennis Anderson

RiverChuckNorris

Thought this was (surprisingly) candid and well positioned article in general worth sharing to the ML HSO'ers. Just click on the link below.

STrib ML Article

This is a good article which addresses a major cause for concern , the nets. If in someone's mind targeting these fish during the spawn is not some of the problem then I will be happy to show up on any day in April with my slip rig and my leech and also target those fish from my boat. We had better take a good hard look at what happened on Red lake and how joint efforts have turned that lake into a great walleye fishery. To have Mille Lacs crash as Red did would be devastating. I know the argument is Mille Lacs is not Red Lake, I totally agree, but the cause and effect is still the same. I'm not sure there would be another crappie boom in the alignment of the stars to save this great fishery. I don't believe we should even test fate to find out.........time is running out frown

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Oh no he didn't! shocked

Doesn't Dennis read this forum and know the nets are a right? whistle

About time someone in the media calls out the DNR and the tribes/nets! GET THEM OUT!

I’m guessing we must have 5 or 6 or more discussions about this going on here at HSO in various forums now, but its about King Walleye so that’s understandable. grin

People are so polarized by this netting thing that its bound to blow up at some point in time, especially if the walleyes disappear totally. I hope it doesn’t take that to make changes. We’ve all seen how long it takes for a lake like that to recover (URL). Based upon everything that has occurred in the past couple of years, I’m guessing there is going to be an increased level of tension this spring as the nets get wet and fish come in. Hopefully no violence involved…

I can honestly see both sides to the netting issue and I will always respect historical agreements, treaties, pacts, ect, but sometimes wonder why the MNDNR would even bother to manage the lake at all. In other words, our time, money and effort is going towards sustaining and improving a fishery that gets swept with nets each spring….nets that totally disregard any type of regulations other than a total poundage take. It would be like growing a fenced garden all year and then opening the gates for the deer to have free reign during harvest season only because they have a legal right to do that. Fine, I understand that and respect that, however next year guess what, maybe I’m not going to grow a garden then. Sure there will be always be something growing in there for those deer to have each fall, but if those deer keep taking most all of it, one fall those deer will find nothing but dirt. I sure hope it doesn’t come to that on ML.

I guess the big argument to that analogy is that I don’t own that garden and if I want to enjoy what that land provides then I should share it with those that the garden was taken from.

It’s a horribly difficult situation, and really the only way it will be solved is if we either learn to live with it, or once again repeat history and take what we want by some sort of forceful manner. Personally if I was a walleye fisherman on ML, I’d just take up Musky or Bass fishing instead, or pick a new lake to fish. But, I don’t own a business or home on the lake so its easy for me to say that.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

but its about King Walleye so that’s understandable. grin

The sad thing is all they ever talk about or report are the Walleye numbers. They never say a word about all the other types of fish that are hauled in and sometimes not used! I wish they would take a count and report all fish species taken and their numbers! It's not like they are using Dolphin safe nets like that have to in the ocean! smirk

Heaven: tongue in cheek on the leech.....Dtro: I hear you loud and clear. If the other bands respect th spawn enough to stop netting during they time, why won't the Mille lacs bands consider it? They have a lot to lose as well. on URL they net all winter, but pull the plug during spawn, they have seen the other side of the coin. It would truly be sad to see everything collapse economically when it could be avoided. All you need to do is talk with some of the folks in the Waskish area to see how bad it got after the crash. Thank god for them the crappie gods were smiling......lets hope and pray for a positive outcome for all concerned.

I think many 'sportsman' need to look in the mirror as well, not blame it all on the nets. How many tens of thousands of fisherman congregate to that lake throughout the year? People from other states and especially right here in MN think it's their god given right to kill and eat the ALL MIGHTY WALLEYE. If I've heard it once I've heard it a thousand times- "I'm not driving all the way to lake X and not bringing back some fish!" "I don't give a F about the DNR slot limits, we're catching fish and I'm gonna have a fish fry when I get home or my wife will kill me- I'm not throwing ALL these back." " I've been fishing on this S-hole lake all weekend and finally get an eye I'm gonna keep it."

How about all of the 'sportsman' catch n releasing dozens of throw backs in 90 degree weather out of deep water all day long just try to get a couple slot fish to kill? The mirror folks, look in the mirror. I also love how much the DNR values a great sport fish like the smallmouth of ML. To see them change the limit so drastically just proves that the walleye is the golden child of the DNR and they obviously could care less about everything else. What is wrong with fisherman coming from all over the midwest to fish some smallies there and stay at a resort like up in Ashland over the years? Doesn't the state or resorts want their business or only the business of meat hogs? Some of the best resorts on the best fisheries in Canada and Alaska are resorts/lodges who have a much tighter limit (or strictly catch n release) than the local fisheries management and they have no problem pulling in sportsmen from around the country who actually respect that, how it helps the fishery, and the company of people in which it brings. If the resorts/fishing related incomes of ML really gave a rats behind about the lake- they'd have banded together already and tightened up this ship but nobody has the balls to be proactive about it and don't want to be the ones to lose a few meat freaks from down south. I enjoy a fish fry as much as the next guy. But you have to admit- too many people having to kill what they catch (especially walleye) is like an addiction.

Because most of the netting is done by the WS bands. They don't care. They come, they net and leave. It's someone else's problem. It's not in their back yard. And apparently they don't care about the lakes in their back yard either. A lot of the lakes they net in WS have had hook and line harvest restrictions for years. There is nothing in the court judgment that allows netting. Just a shared access to the annual safe harvest. That's why they get together and set the safe harvest level each year. If the DNR had the smalls to demand an end to the netting, based on conservation, the bands could still harvest by hook and line. You wouldn't ever see the WS bands again.

I have a question for Alagnak:

Which group of "sportsman" disgust you the most, the 'sportsman' catch n releasing dozens of throw backs in 90 degree weather out of deep water all day long just trying to get a couple slot fish to kill or 'sportsman' catch n releasing dozens of throw backs in 90 degree weather out of deep water all day long just for the fun of it?? (i.e. catch and release only)

Both- because they are both part of the problem but of course it's 'the nets'.

I knew that would wake a few of you walleye freaks up. LOL

How long have the natives netted the lake? Since the 90's? Seems a little odd to blame the problems of 2012/2013 on a 20 year old issue??? Just sayin...

I don't like the netting. It gives one group of people a right to kill fish in a way that others can't. I think it is a convenient excuse for today's troubles though. IMO the DNR has NO idea how many walleyes are taken home by anglers each year. A creel survey done by college students. REALLY? Who answers with the truth? I think the "sportsmans" take of fish is a lot more than the surveys indicate. The lake is 90 minutes from a large metro area and gets pounded for 9+ months by anglers with 20 foot boats and wheel fish houses. Today's gps mapping chips make us all experts on where to go and be on the spot on the spot. I'd like to know the true numbers when it comes to fish killed by nets and fish killed by anglers. The anglers certainly have more participants and a much longer season.

I'd like to know the true numbers when it comes to fish killed by nets and fish killed by anglers. The anglers certainly have more participants and a much longer season.

I would also like to know exactly this. It would certainly answer some questions. Like you said- how many people answer the surveys honestly? How much data is recorded and how 'accurate' when you have unpaid interns and minimum wage kids doing it? There are thousands of houses all over the lake just in the winter and there are a lot of fresh meals of fish that go on behind closed doors. ;-) With the advanced technology there is today - it has had to make some changes.

I would blame this whole thing on Dave Genz and 'team blue'. It's their fault. lol

I think many 'sportsman' need to look in the mirror as well, not blame it all on the nets. How many tens of thousands of fisherman congregate to that lake throughout the year? People from other states and especially right here in MN think it's their god given right to kill and eat the ALL MIGHTY WALLEYE. If I've heard it once I've heard it a thousand times- "I'm not driving all the way to lake X and not bringing back some fish!" "I don't give a F about the DNR slot limits, we're catching fish and I'm gonna have a fish fry when I get home or my wife will kill me- I'm not throwing ALL these back." " I've been fishing on this S-hole lake all weekend and finally get an eye I'm gonna keep it."

Your statement if very, very true. I tried to go down that road a few weeks ago with this crowd and was told that there aren't that many people that fish the lake and want/expect keepers.

Yea, right. crazy

It's just easier to blame the other guy than to change your own behavior I guess.

Both- because they are both part of the problem but of course it's 'the nets'.

I knew that would wake a few of you walleye freaks up. LOL

Do you know why sport anglers throw back all those fish in the heat of the summer? Yes you do. And it is time you and many admit all the slot limits are in place, soley, to accomodate the added pressure the netting puts on the fishery each spring during the spawn. That sir, is a fact. Facts from the DNR reps. The severely restrictive slot limits were never there until the nets showed up, right? Ask the Aitkin DNR reps if you don't believe me. I have it writing from them. In fact, they predicted in 2002 that the lake wold crash in "ten years" if the treaty harvest rules stayed in place.

So, what is the basis of the imbalance in the lake and all the forced release mortality? As Dennis Anderson said--"it's the nets".

Join the group newly formed at Mille Lacs to end the netting. If you don't, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

you are part of the problem, not the solution.

With the lake in its current state- this could also be said about anyone/everyone who fishes it for fun (during those peak hot periods) or for meat any other time of the year. Aren't they 'part of the problem too'? Of course you are!

Like I said- just look in the mirror folks. Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of shacks, boats, and meat freaks. Kill, kill, kill, walleye, walleye, walleye, dinner, dinner, dinner.

This is making me hungry- I think I'm going to go take out a package of walleye right now for dinner tonight! Wait- no I won't because I'd rather eat a pike any day, panfish, or a small largemouth or two. And you know what? The state doesn't have to spend millions of dollars stocking those fish.

With the lake in its current state- this could also be said about anyone/everyone who fishes it for fun (during those peak hot periods) or for meat any other time of the year. Aren't they 'part of the problem too'? Of course you are!

Like I said- just look in the mirror folks. Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of shacks, boats, and meat freaks. Kill, kill, kill, walleye, walleye, walleye, dinner, dinner, dinner.

This is making me hungry- I think I'm going to go take out a package of walleye right now for dinner tonight! Wait- no I won't because I'd rather eat a pike any day, panfish, or a small largemouth or two. And you know what? The state doesn't have to spend millions of dollars stocking those fish.

Northlander- you honestly don't own a mirror in your house do you? LOL

I grew up in NW WI with a deep hatred for American Indian spearing of Muskies, and of walleyes during the spawn. Just so you know what side of the coin I'm on. But I'm not blind either.

You've really got your head in the sand if you don't acknowledge the advancements in sport fishing technology over the same exact time period you are talking about and how that has changed the game - along with the popularity of ice fishing and the tools to keep you out on the lake longer and more comfortable in all aspects of the sport. And of course, the KILL mentality that surrounds walleyes and many sport fisherman.

"Sport anglers do their fishing via acceptable, managable, modern day methods."

This is funny right here. So GPS, cameras, flashers, etc is obviously fine to use by the 'white man' but I'd venture to bet you are one that screams the loudest about natives going back to birch bark canoes and cattail torches. LOL! Just sayin- the door swings both ways.

Again-I'm NOT saying nets are not part of the problem. I'm saying anyone who steps foot on that lake with walleyes targeted is part of the problem and there's a lot of blame to go around.

I have to agree with DTro and worry about violent clashes once the nets go out.

There is no solution to the lake, trying to control ma nature is a losing battle, she wins every time. Personally, I would just say to shut the lake down for a few years and let her regenerate herself, but realistically I know that would be next to impossible

I have to agree with DTro and worry about violent clashes once the nets go out.

There is no solution to the lake, trying to control ma nature is a losing battle, she wins every time. Personally, I would just say to shut the lake down for a few years and let her regenerate herself, but realistically I know that would be next to impossible

Mother nature didn't cause this mess at Mille Lacs.

And it is wrong to think we have no control over mother nature. Look at the deer in Mn. versus what mother nature had in place before we stepped in.( are you old enough to know?) Look at all the success stories in walleye country by man stepping in compared to how many good walleye lakes we had 40 years ago or more. Man stepped in at Red, right? No--your wrong to say we can't control things...in fact, man over-powered your mother nature and ended things at Red ( and fixed it again) and is now doing the ( adding nets)same at Mille Lacs. Man can step in and fix this too.

I would also like to know exactly this. It would certainly answer some questions. Like you said- how many people answer the surveys honestly? How much data is recorded and how 'accurate' when you have unpaid interns and minimum wage kids doing it?

And I'd like to know exactly how many walleyes the tribes net every year! No way all those nets/fish are counted! Multiple videos from last year prove exactly that!

I would also like to know the exact numbers of pike, Muskie, perch netted each year also! O and how about the netted northerns that are ripped out of the net and throwing back in the lake floating belly up? Are those counted? Again more videos from years past prove that as well! What a joke!

And by the way, the creel clerks at Mille Lcs have been employed by the Mn. DNR and doing that job for many years. Suggesting they are just minimum wage flunkies is very wrong.

Inspectors for invasive species issues at the landings is a different story. Not the same people nor job.