• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bmc

Team #5 "TOM COMMANDERS" Official Site

Scoot

Anymore updates to be had from you fellow Tom Commanders? I was out on Saturday, but couldn't hunt on Sunday because of a Godchild's confirmation. It was another fun, frustrating day out chasing turkeys. We went to an area we haven't been at all this year and we found a bunch of turkeys. By and large, they just didn't want to come in to our deeks through. We had a couple cool interactions with birds, but man are those dang things cagey! ...and who says jakes are dumb and easy as heck to call in? I got the impression that every jake within ear shot of my calls would come blindly running in to my decoys? Nope, that sure hasn't been the case!

I'll get an update as soon as I get a little more time at work. I've take some fun pics this season and I missed some great ones too. In total, it should make for a fun little write up to this point. Our season closes the 19th, so we need to try get a bird into the decoys between now and then...

Archerysniper

Scoot it sounds like you may want to keep the decoys in your vest. Some times the best thing is them hearing the ladies but can't see them.

PFUNK

I've only been doing the turkey thing two years, but if there is one thing I can say I know about turkeys (at least from my experience) is that they are unpredictable at best. What works one day won't work the next. What works on one bird wont work on his buddy. I find myself trying to call less and less though it seems like. Might be the elk hunter in me, but I've been having my best luck trying to get where I think they are heading and then getting set up and waiting for them. I've tried calling them in so much early on in the AM when they are gobbling and i'm all fired up.... But most often it sends the hen the other way from me. So i've been calling just enough early on to keep them gobbling so I can monitor where they are headed towards. Then I make a move and head to where I think they are going and wait. Saturday I called as a last ditch effort and the toms did break away from the hens, but this was midday and not early AM. Sunday late in the morning the birds came into my decoys and I never made a peep. Toms came in on a run to a jake decoy set up behind my hen which I have been putting on the ground and not staking up. I have been hunting on public ground that joins private though, and they are always on the private in the morning so I can't get in on the roost or morning "strut zone". I have no choice but to try to intercept them as I can't go onto the private, but it's been working pretty dang well for me as of late. For me, the birds have been working towards an old, isolated road and I am thinking they are headed there to pick gravel before heading into timber during the heat of the day. The morning has become a "listen and learn" time for me, and the afternoon is the time to get the vulnerable toms. Just some food for thought from an amateur who is still learning how to get good at this turkey thing!

bmc

I struck out guys. Never heard more gobbling than I did this season, but I just couldn't get it done.

I'll post up a little re-cap tomorrow, after beating my head against a tree trying to figure these "stupid" turkeys out, I gotta ice down the dent in my head with a few Captain 7's. wink

I need some expert advice to help me w/ my sanity after this weeks hunt. LOL

My wife was a trooper though and stuck it out, which was great. We had a great time, even though neither of us took a shot. I was happy to share her 1st hunting experience with her.

Brian

IlliniWalli

well, guys, put another one on the board for the tom commanders!

scored a nice tom yesterday morning that may be my best ever.

dagger 1 3/4 inch hooks, 11 1/4 beard and weighed 25 1/2!!!

and, yeah, i know, its all a just a bunch of B S (big story wink ) without the pictures. grin

but ... after doing the measurements and pics, computer wouldnt boot up when i logged on today.

computer guy had to take it with him and i am now on a loaner. hopefully the pics can be recovered from my hard drive; if not, i think they are still on the wife's email.

so ... it may take a few days to get him officially entered.

benbosh

Nice work! Sounds like a good bird!

Scoot

Sweet! Congrats on a great bird!

rundrave

congrats on the big bird!

IlliniWalli

hey rundrave, are you gonna enter one of them birds you got in SD or are you still hunting?

the way team 7 is knockin em dead, we need all the points we can get grin

rundrave

hey rundrave, are you gonna enter one of them birds you got in SD or are you still hunting?

the way team 7 is knockin em dead, we need all the points we can get grin

My plans to hunt the black hills never happened, went fishing instead smile

I don't know if I should enter my "little bird" into the mix unless there is a smallest bird taken award.

It was certainly better eating then turkey tag soup I had the last couple years though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Ice fishing has begun!  Many resorts have fish houses out with others watching ice conditions in the area they fish for the right time.  Below zero temps this week will help.  Some ice roads are open to ATV and snowmobile traffic.  Check with your resort / outfitter prior to coming up.  Fishing has started out excellent as expected.  Most finding walleyes and saugers in 21 - 26 feet of water.  A shallow bite happening in 18-20' morning / evening.  The norm of jigging one line and dead sticking the other line working well.  Good numbers of fish being caught with some trophies mixed in as well as pout, perch, tullibees, sturgeon and an occasional pike.  Very little snow on the ice.   On the Rainy River...   Most of the river is frozen over with a few random spots still showing open water.  There is no traffic on the river at this time while ice is forming.  Extra caution is always needed with current and this year the current is stronger than most years.   Up at the NW Angle...  Some resorts have a few fish houses out and initial fishing reports for walleyes are excellent.  Some areas still need time with high current this year.  Forecast is favorable with sub zero temps this week.  The majority of ice traffic is snowmobiles thus far.  It's a must to stick to resort marked trails or know the area you are traveling.  
    • bowhuntingboy1
      Also, on the topic of zebra muscles, scientifically it may show how they are terrible for a lakes ecosystem and whatnot, but you look at mille lacs for example, which is about infested as it gets with zebra muscles, yet it's currently a world class walleye, muskie, and smallmouth fishery. Now obviously you dont want to spread zebra muscles, they are invasive and its heavily illegal,  it just seems that their impact is overstated.
    • Chill62
      The trip is a fun time and we have been blessed with warm favorable conditions the last two years I've helped set it up.  Just hope it keeps up that way because every trip prior it was -20 or worse temps.     Thanks!  We've put a lot of work into it so far.  It isn't new but its new to us and that is the only way we could get what we wanted with the features we wanted.  Having a heated cab is amazing when going across the ice we actually had to take our jackets off prior to traveling across the ice.  I we made the rack for the back for hauling gear and giving us a little more space (PVC).  Ice fishing is our favorite season and when we figured we spent last year from weekend before Thanksgiving to April 22nd area on the ice every weekend its an investment that we will use.  We also plow out 5-7 driveways at the lake for neighbors so it helps cut down on the amount of time I am spending plowing when I have a 72" blade instead of a 60" 4 wheeler blade and not enough power to push big piles.  
    • bowhuntingboy1
      I can see all arguments and their points. I just logically think that everyone in america should have to follow the same laws regardless of race or culture or history 200 years ago. Maybe statistically this may be wrong somehow, but oh well, you're all entitled your opinion. 
    • Sculpin
      Could be worse guys, way worse.  You could have a deeper fishery, and have to account for "hooking mortality"  Such as it is at Mille Lacs.  I think everyone needs to understand that the old days are gone, and liberal limits, as we all once knew them, are rapidly becoming obsolete. LOTWS just went from 8 to 6 fish, and I would not be at all surprised to see it go to 5, or less, its just a matter of time. Everyone chatters about catch and release fishing, and the DNR would tell you that the majority of surveyed anglers, particularly at Mille Lacs are good with the concept. I don't necessarily agree with their methodology, but it is what it is.  Drive less, stop at Mille Lacs, and get your one fish, (maybe). It'll never be more than a two fish lake again, because the Bands will never, ever, compromise on their end of the harvest, nor on the co-management of the lake,  at the end of the day, they have no reason to. Red lake is the same. I think they may finally have it right, impact of zebra mussels notwithstanding. Time will tell. Get used to it, if you live long enough, like Kelly, you'll see worse. 
    • CJH
      I grew up in Winona (didn't ice fish back then) but the Mississippi River  is NOT to be messed with - it will always win.  Fantastic fishing, but definitely take baby steps in getting to know it.      Might be a good idea to Post in the SE MN section and see if somebody would let you tag along.
    • Random dude
      I meant to say the tribal waters are the factory that keeps the popluation going,  we would fish out every lake we have control of if they let us.  Thank the Band and DNR for setting up a safe harvest limit and rules for everyone to follow that is building this great fishery back
    • Random dude
      Best to listen to Kelly on this one.   He has been around long enough to see the booms and busts and attended all the meetings on the rebuilding after the crash.   The way I look at it, look at the hordes of fishermen on the small non-tribal portion.   Now imagine spreading that kind of pressure on the entire upper and lower lake, it would crash in a matter of a few years.   I honestly think we owe a debt of gratitude for the low lbs/acre harvest on the vast tribal waters.   If they harvested as much per acre as we did, crash time.   The non-tribal waters are the factory that keeps healthy population going that we're seeing now.  It must be working, results speak for themselves.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Looks like a very enjoyable weekend for you guys Chill62! Your ranger setup looks real slick! Jealous! 
    • Borch
      Sounds like a fantastic weekend!   Gotta love it when the kids are catching fish.