• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Model 12 Winchester still the greatest?

I have a Remington 11-48, which evolved from the Browning A5/Remington 11. The 870 was actually developed using parts from the 11-48, and looks similar. Still a good shooting old shotgun that never fails to fire. I don't use it much anymore, but take it out of the closet and wipe the dust off and oil it up once in a while.

I have a Remington 11-48, which evolved from the Browning A5/Remington 11. The 870 was actually developed using parts from the 11-48, and looks similar. Still a good shooting old shotgun that never fails to fire. I don't use it much anymore, but take it out of the closet and wipe the dust off and oil it up once in a while.

The 11-48 was my first shot gun and like most all Remington's they use very close to the same trigger groups and even the bolt assembly's are the same that.

If it works don't fix it attitude was used.

What ever you do not oil the spring over the magazine as that will impact the felt recoil on that and other guns of that style.

This is a pleasant conversation indeed! smile

My further take, in no order...

The 1200's I recall (not mine, but in duck camp when I was young) were rattling noisy buggers that you could barely hold just the forearm without it feeling like it was walking away on its own wink but I didn't shoot them much.

The ol' humpback is cool looking, and you can tell from the sound of it that it was an A5 from across the lake/swamp/woods. That was pretty cool. But I agree that they were pretty funky how they were/are built. Recall in NoDak 10 or so years ago a guy was bragging about his A5 but it wasn't ejecting right. I told him he needed to match washers or whatever the process is, but he had to be careful or springs would go flying all over tarnation wink He said, "nope, it is easy and I never had a problem changing it up".... haha! Well, he opened it up and you guessed it, springs and washers went flying all over that renovated pig barn we were staying in!! Took us about an hour of crawling on our knees, but finally found all the parts inside somebody's boots smile

870 - I think one reason I like my Browning Gold so much isn't so much that it works great, and it does, except when I don't clean it after trap season... but it is more that it comes up almost, or completely, excatly as my old Wingmaster did, and as my Dad's Wingmaster still does. It just feels so "right", down to the narrow grip.

Winchester Single 20 g. (model 37 I think..?...) - got this for Xmas from Mom and Dad when I was 12. Still break it out to trap shoot and will let grandkids use for their first gun when they hunt with me. I love this gun, mostly nostalgic, but it fits great and looks cool for a single wink My first gun with a gold trigger wink

I think one reason I like my Browning Gold so much isn't so much that it works great, and it does

That's the reason I love mine also its like the energizer bunny grin

A little Brwoning hump-back nostalgia for you guys. My grandfather was a slightly built man who lived to fish but even more so, to hunt ducks. In his day he had a couple of outstanding places for himself and his business pals. In those days- the 20's and 30's he operated a fleet of duck boats for his buddies weekend hunts in the rice beds and open islands of a couple lakes. He shot a 12 guage Parker with 30" F&F barrels. I have seen the vintage photos of the strings of cans, redheads and bluebills that gang brought down.

Age took its toll and he could not stand up to the big Parker so bought an A-5 20, higher grade. And he could shoot the eyes out of a blue bill up forty yards in the early morning dark with that thing. He stood out there in the winds and sleet and snow for a great many bitter Minnesota falls. His little A-5 stayed around for many years after he left it, in its case, cleaned and ready, for the next season he didn't get to see.

In later years I owned one just like it. I suppose the younger guys with the space age plastic stocked, camo colored whiz bang, rapid fire, super chocked big bucks duck guns find them quaint. And I guess mechanically they are. But they got heart. They got class. They got some history. They are an instrument.......not an appliance. Ha Ha!

. But they got heart. They got class. They got some history. They are an instrument.......not an appliance. Ha Ha!

I hear ya man,I have bought many from the younger generation that think they look like a $hitty old clunker but are actually a real gem,their loss.

• 2 weeks later...

My model 12 is a trap model, and havent shot it for years.. I also have a 870, 1148, couple 1100s, a sweet little Browning Twelvette two shot auto, and most recently I bought my first A5 this winter. A sweet little 20ga magnum, topped with a ribbed skeet bbl. 1965 model, with less than 2 boxes of shells, that hasnt seen the sun, other than thru a window since 1965.. Shes awful purty..

I love them all the same, but when it comes to hunting, I grab my 686 Beretta white onxy 20, and the rest stay home. Once in a great while, I take the double auto out for old time sakes. I may have to introduce the new A5 to some prairie chickens this fall though..

Have shot a lot of trap next to pals with Model 12 trap grade guns. They were great shooting guns and a lot of records were set with them.

And the old two-shot twelvette!?? Gad....haven't thought about that for years. It never made any sense, marketing-wise, but it was a nice gun. And what can I say about the A-5 twenty-a sweet shooting, magic pointing shotgun that will shoot rings around some of the modern "low recoil" fast action autos of today.

Enjoy. Life is good.

Have shot a lot of trap next to pals with Model 12 trap grade guns. They were great shooting guns and a lot of records were set with them.

And the old two-shot twelvette!?? Gad....haven't thought about that for years. It never made any sense, marketing-wise, but it was a nice gun. And what can I say about the A-5 twenty-a sweet shooting, magic pointing shotgun that will shoot rings around some of the modern "low recoil" fast action autos of today.

Enjoy. Life is good.

The twelvette is a nice piece. The only thing I've never gotten used to is the safety mechanism. If you put the gun over your shoulder, it takes it from safe to fire. Simple, yes, cumbersome to get used to, absolutely. The action when shot, is a lot like the A5. I forgot to mention my Ithaca 37..

There's not a black stocked piece in the safe.

• 9 years later...

I’m not sure this conversation is still in play.  Thought I’d add my two cents.  I own both the Remington Wingmaster 870, bought new in 1969 and a Winchester Model 12, vintage 1935.  Both are in excellent condition, both in 12 gauge.  I believe the Model 12 is a Pigeon Grade.  Personally, I think it’s a toss up.  Both are made very well, both perform well in the field or at the range.  In either case, you cannot argue with success and both have it in spades….  My late uncle introduced me to his Model 12’s.  He was

the finest shotgun shooter I’ve ever seen. So, if I to chose, I wouldn’t.  I shoot both and I’ll pass them down in due time.  Have fun arguing over this - it’s entertaining!!!!