• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Road to the Frozen Four

cbrooks

Yea Quinny is going to be tough! That was the first game I've watched of theirs and I was impressed. They are solid and deep! You might be going to Pitt archerystud?? Man, that would be awesome! I got an extra SCSU jersey for ya! wink

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• PierBridge

• fishing tech

The new season of finding bigfoot first episode will be filmed in Pittsburgh in two weeks.

Quinnipiac is a skilled team. I commented on that a while ago after watching a game in Feb. They are a veteran team and have strong goal tending.

Its a crab shoot if farragher shows up or not.

I couldn't believe how undersized SCSU looked today. They have played well and this year has brought a lot of surprises.

Remember EVERY year the wcha has had a shared championship one of the teams wins the NCAA title. Don't blow it SCSU.

Finally watching a little of the SCSU game on dvr after the Wild. Does no one go to these games or what? We've got more fans at high school hockey games than there are watching in Toledo.

Goes to show you we are the best hockey state in the country.

How does the NCAA pick these regional game spots? They have had a region in Grand Rapids for years and the attendance always sucks. Hold the whole entire tournament in MN and every game would be a sell out easy. Is the NCAA trying to see how few people they can get to show up at games? Set attendance records for least amount of people showing up?

As usual, the NCAA is trying to inject hockey in places that couldn't care less about it in a effort to expand the sport at the expense of the real fans. (see the Big 10)

Yea Quinny is going to be tough! That was the first game I've watched of theirs and I was impressed. They are solid and deep! You might be going to Pitt archerystud?? Man, that would be awesome! I got an extra SCSU jersey for ya! wink

Yeah I'm going but I guess we are Road Tripping it. I'd rather fly but as long as I get there I'm fine with it. I've got plenty of jerseys!!!

I'm usually not that superstitious except when it comes to hockey. I didn't wear any SCSU stuff this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll have any on at the rink!!!

Quinny is a solid team but I like the draw. Their game is similar to ND and Miami. That wasn't the same Union team that beat up on BC. Big free fall after beating one of the big boys.

Key is to be patient. Quinny thrives if they can get a lead (as with every other team in the Tourney). All in all I'm just happy the Huskies made it!!! Hopefully they can win 2 more but I like the way they are playing right now.

Talk about embarrassing 5 of the 6 apperently overated WCHA teams being ousted by 3pm on Saturday. We had 40 percent of the field for petes sake.

Well at-least No-Dak got killed worse then us and we won't be seeing Bryce post much for a while. smile

Looks like I'm All In on SCSU winning this thing.. which is pretty scary if think about it! LOL

Go Ski's!!!!! grin

Holy dump how can I be leading in the picks for the brackets.

Lots of bracket busting upsets this year, if SCSU loses you got it locked up, if they win one game I think Bran takes first.

Edit: Wow some dude picked a perfect bracket so far, he has Lowell over Q for the title so lets hope he is wrong.

Dang, what a crappy WCHA weekend it was with the exception of the Huskies. Stud, I hope your weekend goes really well. Best of luck to Saint Cloud, this is an awesome opportunity!

I think I have 5 wins total in my bracket and have only SCSU left. The other shining spot was watching BC lose to Union.

Going to miss the WCHA, just can't EVER see myself pulling for stupid azz Big Ten teams to do well in the NCAA's. I guess I will just have to pull for the MN schools between the three conferences.

Well at-least No-Dak got killed worse then us and we won't be seeing Bryce post much for a while. smile

Made it one round further. Shamed the rodents once again. No time for hockey anyways. Wednesday should start the snow goose migration into nodak. Time to kill. See you out there pierre wink

WOW just heard that George Gwzdecky was forced out at DU!!! and thank god for my homer pick of SCSU or might not of scored a point in the pick em game!!

Wow Ode to A Dead Guy for Gwoz, eh? That surprises me, although I did read that they were one and done in 5 out of the past 6 NCAA's. I wonder who they will get to replace him?

Wow Ode to A Dead Guy for Gwoz, eh? That surprises me, although I did read that they were one and done in 5 out of the past 6 NCAA's. I wonder who they will get to replace him?

Carey Eades?

I am hoping Lucia.
+1

I'd gladly trade Lucia for gwoz. You can bet gwoz wouldn'thave his players pplaying "free"! What an effing joke!

Grow some stones Lucia and coach these cake eaters to play hockey as a team and not a bunch of individuals. Embarrassing. When they play there a team that can play with them but trouble is they play down to competition or without any urgency.

I have to ask Captain and Fish-Tech would you fire Hakstol the Sioux coach? Being they haven't won a title since the 1990's.

Addionally who would you replace Don Lucia with?

Go Huskies!!!

I am hoping Lucia.

I think Teague has his hands full trying to replace Tubby. What a mess that has turned into. But that's for another forum.

If Gwoz got canned, there are a couple of other big time coaches that have to be worried as well.

I have to ask Captain and Fish-Tech would you fire Hakstol the Sioux coach? Being they haven't won a title since the 1990's.

Go Huskies!!!

In all honesty, I would get rid of Hakstol. Majority of the Whioux fans agree. I think Gwoz would be an excellent replacement for Lucia, OR give Guentzel a chance. If you notice, he does all the instructional during timeouts, etc anyway. Look what he did with the D corps this year. Under Hill they were terrible, he really turned around their game. Granted there are some skilled players there too, but Helgeson made huge strides and they were overall one of the best pertaining to Goals Allowed in the country. Thats a reflection on the goal tender too, but the defense overall had a very good year.

I mainly question the drive that Lucia has. It seems like he has lost the team. Watch how the players are positioned in neutral ice, on breakouts, etc, terrible. Half the time all of the forwards on are one half of the sheet. Hardly any passing lanes when things get choked up by defenders.

Should the Gophers win a championship every year? NO! Come on, that's not realistic.

I do expect that the team has a lot of effort and is positionally sound and reduces mental mistakes. These are things a coach has control over. Teaching moments, watching film, running drills in practice.

With the talent this team had this year a One and Done in NCAAs is embarassing.

Last year's team was probably overachieving for what they had, but there is no reason they shouldnt have contended for a title this year.

Friday's game is a microcosm of the entire season. 2 periods of junk followed by 1 period of effort. Look what happened? They were destroying Yale in the 3rd, smothering defense and excellent forecheck. A mental error by Marshall sent them packing, but it should have never come to that. I would much rather have Hastings or Motzko as a head coach than Lucia at this stage.

Last years team was good and made the FF, this years team was also very good and didn't. No reason to panic and start firing people based on one game. Look at Denver, whoever they hire isn't going to be as good of a coach as Gwoz, there are likely programs looking to dump what they have and hire him. BC lost, UND lost, WI was hot and lost, Michigan and BU didn't even make the NCAA's. It is a different and much more competitive world out there. The Gopher program is back where it should be, in the top 5 or so and winning a lot of games. Sometimes the stars have to align to win the whole thing.

Despite some heavy losses we are going to take this off season I expect us to have another very good team next year. Plenty of returning talent and some top end recruits coming in. Should be another fun season.

No reason to panic and start firing people based on one game.
I am hardly panicking and reacting to the result of one game. Its a trend. Look at the CC game in the Final Five as another example.

There are at least a handful of other games from this season alone where they were not prepared or ready to play.

I realize the Gophers are probably the most hated team in College hockey, for sure the WCHA and they get the best effort from other teams night in and night out, but focus, positioning and urgency is lacking across the board.

Love the passion Captain and I do understand the frustration! I don't necessarily agree with your take and lean towards Bears analysis for the most part though.

Right or wrong I can guarantee you neither Lucia or Hakstol will be fired anytime soon!

Go Huskies!!!! grin

I think Hakstol is possibly at more risk of getting axed than Lucia. You are probably right that neither is at a huge risk of being ousted, but why was Eaves canned last year from UND? Was this a reach by UND to Hakstol telling him to make some changes or YOU are out? Did the team achieve acceptable results after this change? IDK

I dont particularly care for the argument of not firing someone because there isnt a better option to replace them with. I guess it makes some sense, but if someone doesnt fit their needs. Dont prolong it.

I would agree Hak is under more scrutiny then T-Don. The Sioux fan-base and alumni take there Hockey to the extreme. And not winning a title in what seems like, FOREVER, is a big deal and creates more pressure.

It's just so tough to win these days and with every freaking kid who plays the sport starts playing year round from the time they're hatched it seems. The playing field is really leveled out across the board.

On a side note, not one team from Michigan made the dance this year and that hasn't happened since the 70's.. crazy

but focus, positioning and urgency is lacking across the board.

You could say the same thing about every team in college hockey right now safe for the 4 teams still alive. It's not easy and it isn't going to get any easier to win a title. We might even want to call he11 and ask for the weather report down there because who in the right mind would have picked Lowell, Q, Yale and SCSU to be in the frozen four. This isn't a gopher problem, it's a NCAA wide issue and isn't really an issue at all.

You could say the same thing about every team in college hockey right now safe for the 4 teams still alive. It's not easy and it isn't going to get any easier to win a title. We might even want to call he11 and ask for the weather report down there because who in the right mind would have picked Lowell, Q, Yale and SCSU to be in the frozen four. This isn't a gopher problem, it's a NCAA wide issue and isn't really an issue at all.

I get your point, but my problem with it is the Gophers year in and year out get the BEST recruits. These guys each, individually were probably the best players on their given teams, throw in a couple role players like Serratore or Helgeson and you have our roster any given Friday or Saturday night.

These guys should know where they are supposed to be under each circumstance and its up to the coaches to enforce it. I guess I expect more from a team with 14/15 draft picks on it than what we have been getting.

Considering the results of my board, I obviously had no inclination that any one of those teams would make the FF, let alone collectively.

When its one and done you need your best effort every night.

The motivational speech that turned the old proverbial light on for the team in the 3rd should have happened before the puck dropped in the first.

I am to the point that I wish we didnt have ANY draft picks on the team, but rather a team full of Serratores, Mattsons, etc. Those guys may not have all the talent, but they seemed to work hard pretty much every night. Would it kill Bjugstad to throw a check once in a while? Is he afraid of hurting someone? He will get lit up by someone like Clutterbuck in a few weeks.

I also think the leadership on the team is suspect. If Budish comes back, which is probably less than 50/50, I bet he isnt captain next year.

Go Huskies!!!

I would think Haksol should be worried. The problem I have with Lucia is he seems to have no fire in his blood. His teams follow that. You are getting beat and the team is playing like sh1t and he will not take a timeout to chew some a$$. He stands their with his arms crossed watching the game like he is on downers or something. At least Hak and other coaches aren't afraid to take a time out and light up a few players. How many times this year did the Gophers play a full 3 periods? Most games they played 1-2 periods. That is coaching. How do you go into a TV time out or in between periods and not light a fire under your team when they are playing so badly. Maybe that is what they mean by playing free. Losing 9 seconds into OT or get scored on in the first minute of a period is lack of preparation or lack of intensity. I think the Don is riding out his new contract at the players expense. They were chomping for Woogs head when he couldn't win the big one. But I agree it was time for a change just like now is a time for change. I know it won't happen for 2 more years.